liquid nitrogen posibilitys

super_xero

how much does liquid nitrogen cost and do u need a licence to obtain and is it the most powerfull cooling set up for a cpu

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
well, 7 Ghz is a bit of overkill, the official world record is 5.25Ghz, thats official though, there may be unofficial ones that went a lot higher, and yes they did use liquid nitrogen, to my knowledge it cools to -196 C, *brrr*, rather chilly.

Its very expensive and very uncommon, that and the fact that it has to be replace every few weeks because it evapoartes. You also could not use it in a conventioanl home PC becasue the gases it produces are a bit wierd and the cooling tower has to stand vertical, most PC's motherboards would have cooling horizontally if you know what i mean.

So, basically, not for home, very cold, and very expensive.

super_xero

but couldnt there be a way to contain it in sort of like a cpu block kind of thing with a copper plate and u just attach it to the cpu i mean if u coudl invent something liek that couldnt taht be possible

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
erm..... possibly, but you would have to get a new one every 2 weeks to refill the LN, so cost effecitve its not good.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
would it be possible to run the nitrogen in a phase change system? i dont have any experience in this field so im only hypothesising

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
liquid nitorgen wouldnt be a very practucal way of cooling a home pc. a) have fun try and get hold of some (legally), as theres like only one supplier in the UK b) you would need to be extremely careful when handling it. and as Dragon siad, you have to change every 2 weeks, which wouldn't be very cost efficient.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
perhaps trying to use an Air Conditioner, i noticed that the pipes on mine freeze and the whole area is frozen within a few minutes (it was a defect, but im sure they still get very cold).

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
phase change is basically that big compressor on the back of a fridge unit, it cools to the extreme, were talking minus temps here. not quite as good as liquid nitrogen though, it evaopportes the liquid and the condenses it back all insde the sme unit, its a air tight, watrer tight ppressurised unit that does a hell of a lot of cooling, stick it on your CPU and your gonna be chilly!!!!!!!!

joelkyr

liuliuboy said:
but then again, your computer would sound like a fridge ;) and it would be a powerhogger.
phase change doesnt make much noise, actually you can barely hear it when running :)