Long Distance Networking?

massahwahl

VIP Member
In another thread I have been discussing building a media center PC for my brother. One big aspect of this is that I want to have his MCPC networked to mine so we can share files long distance. How do you do this or is it even possible to have shared drives when your not connected to the same access point?

Geoff

VIP Member
Do you mean in different buildings across the country/world? You can set up a VPN from one network to the other, of course then you're limited to the slowest internet connection between the two. Or are you talking about being in the same house?

Geoff

VIP Member
VPN isn't a program, it stands for virtual private network.

What exactly do you want to do between your houses? There may be an easier way to do what you want.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Just have access to shared drives. I want him to see and use what is on mine and vise versa. Thats really all were lookin to do.

Geoff

VIP Member
For that I would just set up an FTP server so you can access shared drives and folders. Do you both have high-speed internet?

massahwahl

VIP Member
yes we both have high speed. How do you set up an FTP? Or whats the best FTP program to use?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
yes we both have high speed. How do you set up an FTP? Or whats the best FTP program to use?
Well you could set one up using IIS, however for starters I would recommend the trial program called LiteServ. It lets you host your own FTP, HTTP server (as well as others), and can easily be accessed outside of your network via your IP.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I think im gonna try appache and Serv-U first, they seem pretty simple to setup and use and will do what im looking for. Anyone ever use them?

tremmor

Ive tried ServU. In fact i think i tried them all but had a little more features than i wanted. It was a big learning curve for me but when i figured it out i was good to go. I settled with WinFTP. I think RealVNC comes in handy and another adventure. it allows you to take over another computer remotely besides having access and using it as simple as you would use your own computer. drag and drop.

Look at this site though. It helped when i was trying to figure it besides getting the support here. i think you will both.
http://www.portforward.com/

Motoxrdude

I think im gonna try appache and Serv-U first, they seem pretty simple to setup and use and will do what im looking for. Anyone ever use them?

I use apache. It does exactly what I need and is FREE (as in beer)! Just make sure to forward ports 80 and 443.

tlarkin

VIP Member
be aware that FTP sends passwords and usernames in clear text across the network. Any type of sniffer or spyware that logs that stuff can and will pick it up. You want something that supports SFTP, so everything is encrypted.

This was google's first hit

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

massahwahl

VIP Member
I use apache. It does exactly what I need and is FREE (as in beer)! Just make sure to forward ports 80 and 443.

Apparently Apache does not work with Vista, but Xampp does which is just another version of apache?

How do I port forward 80 an 443? I went into my router and tried to do it but it wont save them>

Untitled.jpg

I said to open 80 and clicked enable, but it wont save them after i tell it to

massahwahl

VIP Member
be aware that FTP sends passwords and usernames in clear text across the network. Any type of sniffer or spyware that logs that stuff can and will pick it up. You want something that supports SFTP, so everything is encrypted.

This was google's first hit

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

as far as i know, serv-u supports this security. Besides, we wont be sending any confidential info across.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Ive tried ServU. In fact i think i tried them all but had a little more features than i wanted. It was a big learning curve for me but when i figured it out i was good to go. I settled with WinFTP. I think RealVNC comes in handy and another adventure. it allows you to take over another computer remotely besides having access and using it as simple as you would use your own computer. drag and drop.

Look at this site though. It helped when i was trying to figure it besides getting the support here. i think you will both.
http://www.portforward.com/

So im a little lost... Do i only need ONE program to set this up for the first time? Or multiple?