Looking at MB/CPU combo

Darren

Staff member
APU means on chip graphics right? I'd rather use my 128 bit video card.

I guess it depends on availability but why did you get one with an onboard GPU then? The equivalent CPU without it would be cheaper wouldn't it?

Twiki

Surprisingly no. The Ryzen 3 2200G is one of the 3 Raven Ridge core APUs supported by this board. Actually only two because the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 3 PRO 2200G are the same chip. This one is the higher clocked of this family and cheaper.

It went down from $99 to $89 so I grabbed it.

Clipped from an article in Tom's Hardware:

AMD debuted Raven Ridge, a new set of Ryzen CPUs with onboard Radeon Vega graphics.

Yes, we've spelled that out--Ryzen CPUs with Vega graphics--when "APU" (Accelerated Processing Units) would seemingly do just fine. AMD has used the term for many years to refer to its CPUs that have integrated graphics, but with the launch of Raven Ridge, the company has shied away from it. When pressed, AMD has given us somewhat mixed messages about whether or not to use "APU" any longer. The company is not using "APU" internally when referring to Raven Ridge chips, preferring, we guess, to spell it out upon every mention, but it still refers to older APUs as "APUs." We've been told that we can use "APU" to describe Raven Ridge chips if we want--that is, the term is not inaccurate--but for branding purposes, it seems that AMD wants to hammer home the point that Raven Ridge is composed of Zen CPU cores and Radeon Vega graphics.

By the way, I'll start out with the Vegas graphics and see how well it does.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Surprisingly no. The Ryzen 3 2200G is one of the 3 Raven Ridge core APUs supported by this board. Actually only two because the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 3 PRO 2200G are the same chip. This one is the higher clocked of this family and cheaper.

It went down from $99 to $89 so I grabbed it.

Clipped from an article in Tom's Hardware:

AMD debuted Raven Ridge, a new set of Ryzen CPUs with onboard Radeon Vega graphics.

Yes, we've spelled that out--Ryzen CPUs with Vega graphics--when "APU" (Accelerated Processing Units) would seemingly do just fine. AMD has used the term for many years to refer to its CPUs that have integrated graphics, but with the launch of Raven Ridge, the company has shied away from it. When pressed, AMD has given us somewhat mixed messages about whether or not to use "APU" any longer. The company is not using "APU" internally when referring to Raven Ridge chips, preferring, we guess, to spell it out upon every mention, but it still refers to older APUs as "APUs." We've been told that we can use "APU" to describe Raven Ridge chips if we want--that is, the term is not inaccurate--but for branding purposes, it seems that AMD wants to hammer home the point that Raven Ridge is composed of Zen CPU cores and Radeon Vega graphics.

By the way, I'll start out with the Vegas graphics and see how well it does.
Yeah I'd be curious how it compares to the 7770. Might be faster.

Twiki

Look at the Passmark scores. It's how I compare the CPUs. My i5-3570 is similar clocked like the Ryzen 3 2200G and the r3 is slightly faster.

i5-3570 = 7095 passmarks
r3-2200G = 7355 passmarks

My VC is an HD7770.

Darren

Staff member
Look at the Passmark scores. It's how I compare the CPUs. My i5-3570 is similar clocked like the Ryzen 3 2200G and the r3 is slightly faster.

i5-3570 = 7095 passmarks
r3-2200G = 7355 passmarks

My VC is an HD7770.

Yeah I'm just talking about the GPU performance of the onboard video versus the 7770. I wouldn't be surprised if it's faster as the 7770 is fairly old anymore.

Twiki

7770 you speak of is the HD7770 like mine? It does fine, whole lot better than the iGPU on my i5. I will find it hard to believe that a 64 bit iGPU is better/faster than the 128 bit video card like my HD7770.

I also have an HD6670 which is a 128 bit as well and lot better than the iGPU. I upgraded to the HD7770 because of the DDR5 instead of DDR3 as the HD6670.

I've read almost everywhere that a video card is better than an iGPU. I guess that depends on what video card you get.

Twiki

Well it came in today.

Emptied my box of the i5 system:

Assembled the motherboard/CPU/memory and installed it:

Decided to go ahead and put in my HD7770 video card and skipped trying the on chip graphics because of what goes on top:

And here I am!

Darren

Staff member
Well hell, I can't reactivate my win 10 without buying a license. That's $120!
You usually can. They usually give you an option to say you've already activated it then say that you had a hardware change.

Did that with my brother's computer when he got a Ryzen 7 2700x, motherboard, RAM, and GTX 1080 all at the same time. Even was a fresh reinstall. Initially said it wasn't activated but he told it that it was a reinstall or something along those lines and he had a hardware switch and it activated.

If you have to you usually can just call Microsoft and tell them that and it'll activate, but probably can get it to work without even doing that. I don't remember exactly how he did it but it basically prompted him when I ran the troubleshooting for activation I think. He was logged in with a Microsoft account though and if you weren't before that might be an issue.

My current machine is using a Windows 7 Home key I bought in 2011 that has been used on 4 different motherboards, countless reinstalls of Win 7 and eventually Windows 10 and it still works fine. They're pretty flexible with activation anymore.

Sidenote: The 7770 is faster than the onboard GPU, just now actually checked.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-8-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-AMD-HD-7770/m441833vsm7710

Twiki

Did all that. It all started with a W7 OEM disk and upgraded to W10. OEM means only one machine but when I upgraded from my i3 to i5 they activated it. After that no more. Not with a new motherboard, cpu and memory, that's practically a whole new system.

I have a guy interested in my guitar. I'll find out tomorrow and if I did sell it I'll buy a W10 DVD.

Darren

Staff member
Did all that. It all started with a W7 OEM disk and upgraded to W10. OEM means only one machine but when I upgraded from my i3 to i5 they activated it. After that no more. Not with a new motherboard, cpu and memory, that's practically a whole new system.

I have a guy interested in my guitar. I'll find out tomorrow and if I did sell it I'll buy a W10 DVD.

Weird because mine was too. OEM, still have the original sticker with product key and it says OEM. So was my brother's. He may have had a Windows 8 version actually but same principle applies.

I bet you could get around it in some way, especially if you just call Microsoft. I know @johnb35 has done that before. They usually have a number for activation.

Were you signed in with a Microsoft account? Fresh install or same install? I haven't had to manually activate my W10 copy in the past 2-3 years despite 2 different motherboards, several reinstalls, and on different HDD's. Log in with Microsoft and it just does it once it connects to the internet.

I also used to refurbish hundreds of computers and the vast majority were activated with Win 7 product keys, even ones that were supposedly "OEM" and pulled off a different machine that had been used before. They're not very picky.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I built my new system using my MS account from my old pc. It activated fine, didn't have to call MS at all.

Twiki

It all started in 2012 so I don't have that MS account anymore. I made an account to process the reactivation which they send you a code in your email. Got that and they said they still can't.

Twiki

Well, put back together an i5 system (was i3) and installed my Win7 from the DVD. MS won't re-activate it though that was its original system.

Sheez... F... MS! It's going to be a Linux box.