Looking for a Laptop for College

iGeekOFComedy

still out of his range, and macs may be nice but you can't reccomend that for everyone going to school. You could offer a better price windows based machine with equal hardware quality and killer looks from Asus and Dell and save the guy some money.

tlarkin, I understand your point about tech support but you cannot hate on dell just from bad experience at your work, my point is in there laptop department I have had great experience with them. I would say with tech support the best I have seen has been from asus.

Ok it's out of budge but i didn't talk about budget. I wanted to talk about the fact of the battery.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Ok it's out of budge but i didn't talk about budget. I wanted to talk about the fact of the battery.

Um okay, but that doesn't hit his price so find a new mac with your battery in his price, I'm sorry you can't. Apple make some nice computers but because of price they are not for everyone.

No matter how you love Mac's, it isn't the best choice for everybody (this is one of those cases) so we have to recommend a windows machine. Do you think I like recommending a windows based machine? No I don't, my pick would be ubuntu, osx and then windows but we have to go off what the person wants and needs. Either one of the operating systems would be good for college for his degree but we have to give him a good computer for his PRICE RANGE.

iGeekOFComedy

Um okay, but that doesn't hit his price so find a new mac with your battery in his price, I'm sorry you can't. Apple make some nice computers but because of price they are not for everyone.

No matter how you love Mac's, it isn't the best choice for everybody (this is one of those cases) so we have to recommend a windows machine. Do you think I like recommending a windows based machine? No I don't, my pick would be ubuntu, osx and then windows but we have to go off what the person wants and needs. Either one of the operating systems would be good for college for his degree but we have to give him a good computer for his PRICE RANGE.

All i said was IF HE NEEDED good battery. The macbook pro was really the only practical option. NOTHING ABOUT PRICE RANGE.

DMGrier

VIP Member
All i said was IF HE NEEDED good battery. The macbook pro was really the only practical option. NOTHING ABOUT PRICE RANGE.

But why even bring it up? No point unless the computer would be a option. Did you know that at bestbuy there is a Dell that is 899 and gets 8 hours of battery life? I would say for 899 that is not a bad deal and 8 hours is not bad at all. About a year and half ago Dell had a business computer (don't know if they still do) that got 18 hours of battery life.

Look man all I am saying is lets recommend something he can get, we all know mac's get great battery life but let's face it, the cheapest macbook is $1,000 and the hardware is maybe comparable to a pc in that range from two years ago as far as cpu, hdd and ram. I would only recommend it to users who are interested in OSX.

If you wanna talk mac it is cool man I understand but help us help him by finding him a laptop in his range, was the original question. If you wanna discuss the mac and it's pro's then wait for someone that would need/want one or feel free to post a thread on it. Not trying to piss you off man, honestly.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Is there benchmarks to backup the dell :rolleyes:

Was that the best you have for me? Really? Don't think he would care but between me and you my os does. I have a os as light and secure as osx but does (system specs up there with a macpro and far less) but you don't see me telling everyone to get ubuntu. And please if your going to now say something about ubuntu make sure it is fact.

Last edited:

michaelfrog

Would this be pretty good? How good would this be compared to say.. a macbook pro? Im using windows 7 64bit as OS.

(Click the thumbnail to make view larger)

DMGrier

VIP Member
To be honest with you the only think a macbook pro has on you is battery but it does get over 5 hours which is still pretty good in my book and you are going to pay way less. Plus I own a Dell and so does my wife and we love them. Windows will run good on that system.

Blue_Apple

Mini laptop is better

Hi, my name is Irene and I just graduated from the college. I think that a mini laptop is better than the normal one because I think that the laptop in usal size is a little big and heavy for me, so I changed a mini one. It is more convenient for me and also cheaper than my old one. Last year I bought this one and I feel that it works very good and the color is also my favourite, this is its link for reference: http://www.tinydeal.com/R005/l8052g85-p-3899.html, I hope that this tip will be use for you.;)

michaelfrog

Hi, my name is Irene and I just graduated from the college. I think that a mini laptop is better than the normal one because I think that the laptop in usal size is a little big and heavy for me, so I changed a mini one. It is more convenient for me and also cheaper than my old one. Last year I bought this one and I feel that it works very good and the color is also my favourite, this is its link for reference: http://www.tinydeal.com/R005/l8052g85-p-3899.html, I hope that this tip will be use for you.;)

Hey thanks for your suggestion but that laptop isn't strong enough to do some of the basic tasks I need I would imagine.

I'll be buying the laptop I linked earlier maybe next week after I go on a little trip unless someone can show me a laptop that is just as good for a cheaper price (which doesn't seem likely because it is a Dell).