Looking to buy a labtop computer

[Dumpkinhead

I'm looking for a labtop mainly for school. I don't know alot about computers but I think I know enough. My main concern on the computer is speed since I run alot of programs and am ALWAYS converting video files for my Zune.

Price Range is up to $1,500 but includes extended warranty, Microsoft Word(dont really need office), maybe some decent virus protection/firewall software.

Minimum Specs:
1GB RAM(can always upgrade later)
A decent current Dual Core processor
Windows Vista Basic
Good Battery (at least 2 hours of life)
100GB Hard Drive should be good

Would rather have Windows Vista since I wouldn't want to upgrade later.
A Core 2 Duo processor seems like the way to go for me since I have a zune and love to convert video files for it, in other words im always running a bunch of programs. Not sure if it matters but I rip alot of DVD's but do not burn them.
Also, battery life is an issue for me and I think C2D saves battery life.

I would like to have a good graphics card since I used to play Everquest alot and if I ever decide to get back into it, would like to have a decent card.

I also plan on using my computer alot so if there are any certain models that can withstand overheating.

Screen size doesn't matter much to me.

And I will be only using wireless internet, not sure if there is a difference in wireless cards.

Bramp

Asus

Why buy an ASUS?
Well why not? Not only is ASUS ranked in the top 5 ODM companies in the world, their reputation in quality is second to none. They have small and slim 12.1" laptops, to sexy, portable and light 14.1" laptops, Affordable yet slick gaming 15.4" laptops, to full media center 17" laptops. With unbeatable quality, customization and unheard of customer service(From various dealers for barebones, and ASUS for ENSEMBLE units aren't shabby neither)

Asus A8jm about $1200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220044

reviews for Asus A8 series

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2984&review=Asus

also Asus has a huge line up, shop around till you find one you like and try the reviews for it here..

http://notebookreview.com/

heyman421

banned
i got a cheap $600 laptop with a 1.6ghz AMD 64, and it does everything i need it to do.

I'd rather get a cheap laptop and have a desktop at home than spend that much on a laptop.

TheCustomer99

Have you considered a MacBook? You can get a 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a gig of ram for around $1350. And, since you're using it for school, you'll get ten percent off that price. Mac OSX is not that hard to understand really. If you're going to be gaming or using Quicken, I'd say stay with Windows though.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Have you considered a MacBook? You can get a 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a gig of ram for around $1350. And, since you're using it for school, you'll get ten percent off that price. Mac OSX is not that hard to understand really. If you're going to be gaming or using Quicken, I'd say stay with Windows though.

Gaming maybe, but quickbooks runs very well via cross over and via parallels. I have 4 OSes running on my Macbook Pro and they all run smooth. Hell this thing runs windows better than most PC laptops I have had in the past.

Gaming will eventually be a thing of the past when coming to one platform with things like darwine, cross over, etc. OS X boxes will eventually get APIs to run windows software natively.

It just won't happen over night

[Dumpkinhead

Seems like alot of suggestions are towards a Mac, but I have no idea as to what a Mac has to offer. Does it run multiple OS's on it? If so what is the use of that???

Also, what the hell is bluetooth? I know they are that phone thingy but what use do they have in a computer?

thecustomer99, whats up with that 10% discount? :)

My brother has had a dell labtop for almost a year but I have never used it, seems fine for him since he is in college also.
My GF has a HP labtop for maybe 2 years and that seems fine for school, except that it is slow and the battery life sucks. I use her labtop all the time.

tlarkin

VIP Member
you can run both windows and os x. I have had 3 mac laptops now and have liked them all a lot. They are my favorite. My HP isn't bad but if i was given a choice i would choose my mac every time.

TheCustomer99

Seems like alot of suggestions are towards a Mac, but I have no idea as to what a Mac has to offer. Does it run multiple OS's on it? If so what is the use of that???

Also, what the hell is bluetooth? I know they are that phone thingy but what use do they have in a computer?

thecustomer99, whats up with that 10% discount? :)

My brother has had a dell labtop for almost a year but I have never used it, seems fine for him since he is in college also.
My GF has a HP labtop for maybe 2 years and that seems fine for school, except that it is slow and the battery life sucks. I use her labtop all the time.

If I'm not mistaken, you said you would use the laptop for school. Well, if you're a student at a college, you are eligible for a 10% discount on a Mac.

As for running 2 OSes, there is a program called parallels that you use and it lets you run XP on it, you can also run Linux on it if you so choose. If you plan on running XP and Mac OS X on it, make sure you get a big hard drive. There is no pressing need to run 2 OSes if that's what your question is. IMHO, OS X is eons ahead of anything Windows has to offer.

All new Macs have bluetooth built in which makes it so that you can run bluetooth keyboards and mice on it. Basically, just like a wireless mouse but without the receiver to plug in the USB port.

As for battery life on the MacBook, if you dim the screen a bit and set your energy saver settings to be more efficient, there is no reason why you wouldn't get 5 to 6 hours of life out of your battery before recharging your MacBook.

Lastly, since you're a student, I think you should know that you can run Microsoft Office on Mac and all documents you create whether it be PowerPoints or Word Documents are fully compatible with Windows.

here is a link to the Apple MacBook

Last edited:

[Dumpkinhead

I don't think I will get a Macbook or a Dell. Dell seems overpriced and HP seems like a better choice.
On HP's website I see that they have Compaq Presarios and regular HP laptop. Do Presarios suck? HP seems like the way to go, I use one all the time.
Hoping to come to a decision within a few days cuz I get paid!

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you are going to buy HP, only buy their business class laptops, they are like 100 times better than their consumer ones and cost pretty much the same.

I still recommend the Macbook, or Macbook Pro

jjbpenguin

I'm sure that all of you Mac guys are buying legitimate copies of Windows XP to go along with your macs, becasue piracy is wrong. Kinda hurts the price even more doesn't it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I'm sure that all of you Mac guys are buying legitimate copies of Windows XP to go along with your macs, becasue piracy is wrong. Kinda hurts the price even more doesn't it.

no, and if you call MS and want an second activation code to install windows on your mac then they will give it to you.

I also work IT and have an MSDN subscription so I can load whatever I want on my work laptop which just happens to be my macbook pro, and it rules!

tlarkin

VIP Member
that only works if you also own a PC or happen to be in IT. Not for all those "Mac only" people.

so, you go buy an OEM version which you can get an OEM version of XP Pro pretty cheap. I almost loaded vista on my mac but decided to wait it out a bit. The vista installer is crap and takes FOREVER and I was just not paitent enough to deal with it. But vista is on my work PC now

Also, most mac people are not "mac only" though some certainly are. The best laptop you can get in my opinion is a Mac laptop. They are light weight, thin, good battery life, have everything you would need on a laptop built in, and can run any OS, and just about any application (with some exceptions).

[Dumpkinhead

Ended up getting me a Dell since they gave me a big ol credit limit. Heres the specs ended up costing nearly $1,500, only thing I might need is a bigger battery and MS Word. It might be overkill for what I do but I think it will last me a good while with 3 year warranty.
BTW, got this in a bundle, good thing I called Dell instead of being dumb and just ordering online, customer service dude was very helpful. It will be shipped on the 8th. Yay.

Inspiron E1505, Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5600 (2MB/1.83GHz/667MHz)
15.4 Inch TrueLife Wide-screenWXGA, for Inspiron 6400/E1505
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm for Inspiron 6400/E1505
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English
Internet Search and Portal
Icon Consolidation Application
Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
Dell Support, Vista, Dim/Insp
Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access
Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, for Inspiron
8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505
Roxio Creator Basic
Integrated High Definition Audio, Inspiron
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps), for Inspiron 6400/E1505
I chose the promotional security package with service
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 6400/E1505
AOL for Broadband
Earthlink
NETZERO ISP
MS WORKS 8.5
3 Year Limited Warranty
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year
Type 15- Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Week ends, 24x7 Technical Support, 2 Year Extended
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
Type 15- Third Party At HomeService with Nights and Weekends, 24x7 Technical Support,Initial Year
Soft Contracts - Qualxserve
Warranty Support,2 Year Extended
Warranty Support,Initial Year
CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection, Inspiron, 3 Year
Soft Contracts - Consumer Complete Care
Dell On Call, 30 Days, Getting Started Assistance, Unlimited Incidents
Network Associates McAfee 8.0 English, 3-Year Subscription
Thank you for choosing Dell
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
You have chosen a Windows Vista Premium System
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR), Vista, for Inspiron 9400/E1705,6400/E1505XPS M1710
Basic digital Music,Photo and Game experience
$75 Dell Dollars Code DPA Dell Dollars will be sent automatically 4-6 weeks after your order ships

tlarkin

VIP Member
any strings attached or problems with software?

I mean sure its not 100% bug free, but neither is MS office and it costs you money. Open Office for the most part is pretty stable and pretty good, if you don't like it just uninstall it. Its not like its costing you money.