Looking to buy a labtop computer

Boomer

hp dv9000 is my choice :) but the mac book is the only apple i would consider. they're just so expensive.

tlarkin

VIP Member
hp dv9000 is my choice :) but the mac book is the only apple i would consider. they're just so expensive.

they are actually very competively priced. The thing is, apple really doesn't have any low end computer. It is like saying, man I wish I owned a mercedes but they are just too expensive. Well, duh, it's a mercedes.

Boomer

they are actually very competively priced. The thing is, apple really doesn't have any low end computer. It is like saying, man I wish I owned a mercedes but they are just too expensive. Well, duh, it's a mercedes.

17 inch mac book pro:
C2D T7600
2 gigs 667
5400 RPM 160gig HD
X1600 graphics 256MB

$2799

17inch HPdv9000:
C2D T7200
2 gigs 667
5400 RPM 160 gig HD
Go 7600 512 MB

$1699

thats a A LOT more money IMO

i agree, they are nice tho. i was looking into the 17 inch before i got my HP.

Last edited:

billygt

I got a Dell Inspiron 640m for school. I got a good price. It's not fast enough, but the card is only a intel 950. I'd stick with Dell cause they got good prices and for 1500 you'll get what your looking for.

tlarkin

VIP Member
17 inch mac book pro:
C2D T7600
2 gigs 667
5400 RPM 160gig HD
X1600 graphics 256MB

$2799

17inch HPdv9000:
C2D T7200
2 gigs 667
5400 RPM 160 gig HD
Go 7600 512 MB

$1699

thats a A LOT more money IMO

i agree, they are nice tho. i was looking into the 17 inch before i got my HP.

You forgot faster processor, built in a/b/g wifi and blue tooth, built in firewire camera, FW800 ports, not to mention software that can edit video, author a DVD, burn dvds/cds, print to pdf options, etc

There are many features those macs have that basic laptops do not, you really can't compare base specs because there are lots of other things you can do with a mac out of the box that would require third party hardware and software to do on other laptops.

Last edited:

Boomer

You forgot faster processor, built in a/b/g wifi and blue tooth, built in firewire camera, FW800 ports, not to mention software that and edit video, author a DVD, burn dvds/cds, print to pdf options, etc

There are many features those macs have that basic laptops do not, you really can't compare base specs because there are lots of other things you can do with a mac out of the box that would require third party hardware and software to do on other laptops.

nah, i got both processors labeled right: 7600 (2.33) vs 7200 (2.0)
ok, $1742.99 with blue tooth and camera. heck, the HPs even come with the cool LIL remote just like the MACs :p lol

J/P tho, i agree that MACs have their advantages.

tlarkin

VIP Member
yup we both agree all macs are pretty much high quality. I love my macbook pro, its the best laptop i have ever owned!

[Dumpkinhead

these laptop sleeves they sell, are they worth it? i got 25 bucks to best buy and i got a $75 dell coupon being sent in a month. i plan on using the dell coupon on getting a carrying case but will a laptop sleeve hold me over til then?

macnoob

you can run both windows and os x. I have had 3 mac laptops now and have liked them all a lot. They are my favorite. My HP isn't bad but if i was given a choice i would choose my mac every time.

exaclty, i like hp, and i liked having a thinkpad bye ibm, but i prefered a power book to both of them. can i run vista bsaic on my emac? just wondering seeing how you said you run windows and os x on 1 computer, my step mom is like "you can un windows on a mac!" so i asked her what the difference was between the companys except the quality and the os.

tlarkin

VIP Member
exaclty, i like hp, and i liked having a thinkpad bye ibm, but i prefered a power book to both of them. can i run vista bsaic on my emac? just wondering seeing how you said you run windows and os x on 1 computer, my step mom is like "you can un windows on a mac!" so i asked her what the difference was between the companys except the quality and the os.

You can only run windows on newer intel based macs.

macnoob

the short answer is no, the long answer is yes, but...

http://www.insanelymac.com/

possible, but barely and troublesome. got it. screw it, we have uh....emac, unnamed custom, a dell worky thingy(dunno much bout it, step mothers),hp work hore(again dads computer),a dell dimension in my sisters room, a hp running 98, but it has new stuff and is being moved up to xp soon and lastly a 95 in the garage X.X i guess i will pic one the wait a dell precision mobile i think? that my step mom never touches and my dads thinkpad i will pick1 and use it to try and run mac on it.