Looking

wolfeking

banned
okay, let me try this a better way than I did yesterday.

I am looking to replace my M90 as it is failing at the moment. it has started artifacting, and I can not seem to get Afterburner to downclock it to cool it down and see if that helps. I am calling a loss and looking for something better.

Looking at something that meets these requirements:
Operating Systems
Windows XP, Vista or 7
Mac OS X 10.5 and later
Linux
FreeBSD

Minimal specs for Hardware
1 GHZ Single Core CPU
512 MB RAM
1024 x 768 px Display with 16 bit color
3 Button Mouse
Open GL Graphics Card with 64 MB RAM

Good specs for Hardware
2 GHZ Quad Core CPU
4 GB RAM
Full HD Display with 24 bit color
3 Button Mouse
Open GL Graphics Card with 1 GB RAM

Production specs for Hardware
Multi Core CPU
8-16 GB RAM
Two times Full HD Display with 24 bit color
3 Button Mouse + tablet
Open GL Graphics Card with 2 GB RAM, ATI FireGL or Nvidia Quadro
As it looks to be a 64 bit program, I would like 8GB of RAM, and prefer quadro or the like.

What do you all suggest for a budget maximum of $1600 or $2400?

wolfeking

banned
Alienware has a lot of flash, a bit too much. But Really for what I am looking for, I was thinking something like a Probook, Thinkpad, or Precision/Latitude. Would the GTX675m be able to hold its own like the quadros can?

wolfeking

banned
That would do no good. All I am seeing for latitude are Intel integrated graphics. :( Or am I missing something?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That would do no good. All I am seeing for latitude are Intel integrated graphics. :( Or am I missing something?

You can only get the Quadro on either used machines on eBay or new machines directly from Dell.

EDIT: Looks like the 6420 from Dell is the only new model with the NVS.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Just how much off would a standard gaming graphics solution be? Cause I am seeing a lot of 1500+ dollar professional laptops that have 16 core NVS solutions that would be ver little better than the 135m I have in the D630. In a case like that I would upgrade memory to 8GB and CPU to a T7700 and call it a day. Or could get something like a GTX460m or the like for less.

wolfeking

banned
okay, a 460m slightly outperforms a 3000m quadro. But will the performance BIOS cause issues with the software?

wolfeking

banned
I am not sure of that either. I am going to test it on my desktop for a while and see if the gaming card will run it fine.

jonnyp11

Can't you get one of the bigger screens and just get a decent laptop bag or something? Cuz the bigger ones have the better hardware that you want, and the bigger screen would make designing or whatever you're doing alot easier wouldn't it?

wolfeking

banned
I can fit a 17" in my backpack easily. What I am worried about is the weight, as I do nt like having a 70+ pound pack if I can avoid it. And I cant get a bag that hangs to the side cause I have to carry my trumpet too and it gets in the way.

As far as the screen size, I can do well with it on either screen. But having more power is not always the only thing jonny. What I am worried about is a lot of things.
1. Cost.
-Not that I don't have the money to spend, but at a certain point I am cringing at the thought of spending so much on something barely more powerful than I have.
2. Weight.
-I need to keep the weight down as often as possible. But as long as it is under 20 pounds i should be fine.
3. Battery Life.
-Needs to be at least 90 minutes. That is a class period. I need 2 actually with around 2 hours life. I do a lot of my work with Dave on the bus to band competitions. 2 hours is the farthest away, so 1 battery there and one back?
4. looks.
- I do not like a lot of flash. Business machines do not generally have a lot of it anyway, but there may be a better consumer laptop for the price.
5. Speed.
- SSD or something. I do not like waiting 5 or more minutes for the laptop to start.
6. Compatibility.
- I like using Linux, and Windows 2000. 2000 is a pipe dream. but I do need at least Ethernet compatibility with Linux. That is easy these days, but the broadcom wireless of the M90 is not compatible out of the box.
7. Looks.
-Again, but I do not want something that looks expensive. There is not much pf people taking things up here, but I don;t exactly want to hang a stack of diamonds in front of them either.
8. Durability.
- I want it to work. Not just on my lap, or on the desk, but no matter what. Something that can handle being dropped from 4 feet or so onto a tile floor. And something that can handle from -15*C or so up to 44*C and not throw a fit at it. Something basically that I will not be afraid will fall apart just because I use it.

wolfeking

banned
noted. But I am still looking around to see what I can get. Its all so confusing though. Looking that is. I know the parts and what they do, but finding just the right one is driving me nuts.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah it's really hard to get exactly what you need. If MacBooks weren't so expensive I would have recommended one.