Looking

wolfeking

banned
I like them actually, but I do not like apple as a company. Don't most of their software only work with the current OS? Meaning that having a $2000 laptop and needing $30 OS every year or 2.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Nah I hate Mac OS myself. I'd probably triple boot OSX, Windows, and Linux though.

wolfeking

banned
Well, I will probably not get a Mac, but keeping an open mind.

one thing I just noticed is that they have a 650m graphics card, with is 384 cores. Wouldn't that put it somewhere near a 560ti? or is core count useless between kepler and fermi?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I honestly don't know the fine details about video cards. When I need to make a decision I just look at benchmarks.

But the macbooks do have some pretty powerful cards in them.

wolfeking

banned
okay, I am going to check around for some less flashy options, but this seems to be what I am looking for as far as specs. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...s&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=alienware-m14x-r2

setup said:
Software & Services
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
6GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
500GB 7,200 RPM Storage + 64GB mSATA Boot Drive
1 GB DDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™
14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 With Bluetooth 4.0
Slot Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
My Software & Accessories
Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish
Personalized Plate
Quasar Blue
Alienware TactX Headset
My Accessories
1 Year Basic Plan
No Anti-Virus Software Selected
Also Includes
Alienware M14X R2
English Keyboard
Alienware Documentation
Shipping Material
Additional Software
63WHr 8-Cell Primary Battery
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di with THX TruStudio Pro Software
None
Alienware M14X 150W A/C Adapter
Adobe Acrobat X Reader
Standard Nameplate

now I am going to go look elsewere for better in a $1500 package.

okay, sager does look a bit more... professional and a little less crackhead. (that could be said better, but you get what I am saying)

Sager NP9130 setup as below for $1599

setup sager said:
Display 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display featuring 95% NTSC Color Gamut in Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080) [$95.00]
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M GPU with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.30GHz) [$70.00]
Thermal Compound IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$35.00]
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
Primary Hard Disk Drive 750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive [$20.00]
mSATA SSD Drive — For Intel Smart Response Technology Intel 80GB 310 Series mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C:) [$200.00]
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

Last edited:

jonnyp11

sager looks great other than the price of that ssd, ridiculously expensive, and intel ones aren't even that fast i don't think.

wolfeking

banned
it is about the same price as the one from dell. And it is mSATA on the dell if I do remember right. But it is not that important, it will be faster and more importantly cooler and less power than a spinning drive. on either one of them I can either disable the second drive in the BIOS, or remove it from the computer completely.

But again, I do not know if these are necessary. I was trying to match or beat the power of a Macbook Pro, which these both do. And I need to beat the power of the FX2500m and NVS135m. Both of those do. But I still am not sure I need that much power. I mean, I got a desktop I can do big things and games on. I am planning to upgrade that too. But I do need to replace my M90. I really do not know at this point.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Man do not get a Mac, I had one for three days before I returned it. There was all this hype an honestly I thought it wasn't all that great. Plus I started to understand why OSX Lion reviews have not all be that great, truley there Vista. If you go from a Linux desktop to OSX, to me OSX felt slow, too much security and just felt bloated.

You cannot beat this,
$1,449.99
ASUS G75 Series G75VW-NS71 Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 1600 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

not to mention it also comes with 1 year accidental damage Warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230408

jonnyp11

Man do not get a Mac, I had one for three days before I returned it. There was all this hype an honestly I thought it wasn't all that great. Plus I started to understand why OSX Lion reviews have not all be that great, truley there Vista. If you go from a Linux desktop to OSX, to me OSX felt slow, too much security and just felt bloated.

You cannot beat this,
$1,449.99
ASUS G75 Series G75VW-NS71 Notebook Intel Core i7 3610QM(2.30GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 1600 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M

not to mention it also comes with 1 year accidental damage Warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230408

looks good but he doesn't want a large heavy one like that

wolfeking

banned
no offense, but I am not going for a 17 inch laptop again ever, and especially not from someone that fights for linux over windows no matter who he is talking to.

edit: let me rephrase that. 17 inch laptops are far too heavy for my uses, and I find no issue with vista or OSX at all, even at release.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
no offense, but I am not going for a 17 inch laptop again ever, and especially not from someone that fights for linux over windows no matter who he is talking to.

edit: let me rephrase that. 17 inch laptops are far too heavy for my uses, and I find no issue with vista or OSX at all, even at release.

I have actually said I like Windows, just it is not for me. I think the only thing I argued is system resources which I know you have gone to bat for me on in the past. I think the only thing I have said I do not like is Windows 8 but that is from using it on a desktop point of view, said it might not be bad on a tablet.

wolfeking

banned
I am sorry DM. I have been having a bad day, I am not meaning to take it out on you. And, I would much prefer a 14" or 15.4" with 1600*900 or larger screen resolution (larger I mean larger number).

But I need something that is windows for purposes of school. They can not connect to the projector under linux and minus Ubuntu 10.04 I have yet to get one to connect to the school network correctly.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I am sorry DM. I have been having a bad day, I am not meaning to take it out on you. And, I would much prefer a 14" or 15.4" with 1600*900 or larger screen resolution (larger I mean larger number).

But I need something that is windows for purposes of school. They can not connect to the projector under linux and minus Ubuntu 10.04 I have yet to get one to connect to the school network correctly.

It is cool man I do not worry about it. Here is a 15.6" if it is okay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230403

Kind of big on Asus because I had a netbook about two years ago running XP and my dog chewed up my power brick and I called there tech support which was based in California which it was good talking to someone in the US and they replaced it no questions asked.

wolfeking

banned
okay, how about these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246431
-quad core sandy
-4GB
-500GB (would go to SSD immediately for battery life)
-Quadro 1000m (GT540m, so plenty powerful I think)

basically I like it because it looks old. The design has been the same since the T60 and basically the same since at least the A20 days. It does not draw attention.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152339
-quad core ivy
-6GB
-750GB (SSD again)
-GT650m (double as powerful as the GT540m, but a gaming card over a CAD card)

Looks like its drawing attention. That worries me. And it is more powerful meaning that it draws more power thus would last shorter on the battery.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230141
-quad ore sandy
-8GB
-500GB (again, SSD)
-GTX560m (same as the GT650m)

looks better then the MSI, but still going to suck energy like no tomorrow thanks to the 560m.

anything better you all can find? or what is better here?

claptonman

Really, you gotta decide on a laptop with a gaming graphics card or one with a CAD card in it. I wouldn't really use either of them for the opposite uses. Same reason why enthusiasts aren't going and spending all the money in the world on dual quadro 6000s to play games.

So basically, a gaming card would help with CAD apps, compared to integrated graphics, but not as much as a real CAD card. If you look at CAD cards around say $250 on newegg, they will be able to process the CAD apps much more better than a gaming card, say a 570 or 7850, around the same price.

Once you get that figured out, it'd be easier to help.

wolfeking

banned
I don't know which I need. The program I am using runs well in the HD4870 much better than the NVS135m. But I am not sure if that is because of the massively greater power or something else, maybe because of CPU power.

Lets look at it like this, I would love to update my computer. I use some games, I watch some movies, I listen to MP3s, and sometimes I use CAD software. If it can run all of these I do not mind what it is. I do not want something that looks amazing though, as that draws attention.

I think I am driving myself insane looking for one though. I am sorry that I can not narrow down what I am doing better.

claptonman

I'd go with a gaming graphics card, then, if you're just using CAD apps only sometimes.

That Asus looks good, plus you get a free xbox with it. Sell that and boom, $200 cheaper.

wolfeking

banned
That is assuming I could find a buyer for it. Practically everyone and their brother already has an xbox.

Okay, one thing I am wondering about that i really should know, but on the M90 and the D630 there is an option to choose how many cores are available to use which when set to 1 helps battery life some. Would a newer gaming laptop have the same thing? Or the ability to turn off the graphics card in favor of HD3000 from the processor to increase battery when not using graphcally intense programs? Or would I be stuck with a short life battery?

claptonman

I'm not sure about the first part, but the only new gaming laptop I've ever used does have the switch that allows you to turn the graphics card on and off. Just depending on the model.