Mac Pro vs other laptop

speedyink

VIP Member
The system requirements are still less, and OS X 10.7 takes up a lot less HD space. However, I honestly haven't messed with Lion all that much. I have a copy I got via the store but haven't had time to play with it. Plus, in my experience with OS X is that I never upgrade until the .3 or .4 upgrade comes along. So, when 10.7.3 comes out I will probably look at upgrading.

Windows 7:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

OSX Lion:
Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
2GB of memory
7GB of available space

The system requirements are NOT less. The only requirement that is less is Hard drive space, which is not exactly a huge issue considering the size of hdd's and ssd's nowadays.

Des_Zac

Windows 7:

OSX Lion:
2GB of memory
7GB of available space

The system requirements are NOT less. The only requirement that is less is Hard drive space, which is not exactly a huge issue considering the size of hdd's and ssd's nowadays.

What? That's completely wrong.

OSX Lion:
- It only supports Intel Processors, the only unsupported one is Core Duo, which was only used 5 1/2 years ago.
2GB of memory
-It's 64-bit
7GB of available space
-Amazingly low amount of space.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Windows 7:

OSX Lion:
2GB of memory
7GB of available space

That is because Lion is a pure 64bit OS , and uses 64bit memory addressing. It dropped all support for Rosetta and PPC in 10.6 and then went full 64 in 10.7. That is also why it requires a core 2 duo as well, and the first gen Intel Macs that have Core Duos cannot run 10.7.

You gotta compare the 64bit requirements bro.

:D:):)

speedyink

VIP Member
That is because Lion is a pure 64bit OS , and uses 64bit memory addressing. It dropped all support for Rosetta and PPC in 10.6 and then went full 64 in 10.7. That is also why it requires a core 2 duo as well, and the first gen Intel Macs that have Core Duos cannot run 10.7.

You said they were less, which they clearly aren't except for hard drive space.

Whatever the system requirement are, it still feels bloated on 2gb of ram and a core 2 duo cpu. That's not cool. Snow Leopard was great but Lion is way more taxing to the system.

DMGrier

VIP Member

So what about the 64 bit Linux OS that only use 1 GB, are they not pure 64 bit?

tlarkin

VIP Member
So what about the 64 bit Linux OS that only use 1 GB, are they not pure 64 bit?

Depends on the hardware, dual channel means you are required 2 sticks, 1gig sticks are so cheap, why put in 2x 512mb sticks? heck can you even buy 512 sticks anymore?

That is just a product of the times.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I have a i3 with 4 GB of memory on a 64 Bit system and Ubuntu can run on 512 MB ( I think that is for 32 Bit) but preferred 1 GB.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Linux can be tailored to run on a wrist watch man.....you can install and run Linux on anything pretty much, especially if you compile micro kernels and minimal system service (daemons) on it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Oh duh! I forgot that Lion runs apps in sandbox mode, which is why it takes up a bit more memory. Each app runs in it's own sandbox so that it cannot affect, crash, or even exploit other apps or the system.

They are sort of bringing in features of iOS into OS X now it seems.