macbook question

i have a friend that is majoring in photo/digital imaging

just wondering should they get a mac book now or wait till fall to buy one (for the sake of a price drop), or would this price drop be neglibile?

is a mac even worth it, or would a windows laptop serve better for this purpose? The macs seem somewhat pricey, and some of those prebuilt newegg laptops come with some decent gfx cards. . . but yeah

and im talking about the lower end 1200 dollar macbooks here

thanks

rts_conrad

For major photo/digital imaging I've recommend getting a MacBook Pro if he wants to go some 3D rendering & etc.

g4m3rof1337

$1200 wont cover a new MacBook Pro.

You can try Craigslist or Ebay for a cheaper used one.

The MacBooks have integrated graphics, so it cant do much graphics wise.

cohen

They are very good for all use.... editting videos + photos there are very good for it!!!

Burn_all

yea mac's are crazy exspensive for what u get(power wize) and after windows i found them extreemy frustrating, but there good for media. i'd suggest e-bay even though i really dont find the advantages of a mac worth the price.

yeah i dont know im more of a science guy and my friend is really set on this mac and im tellin him he can get more power per $ for windows

why is it that everyone says macs are good for photoshop and such? wouldnt the extra power u get for ur money with a laptop own the mac?

im sorry, i know i sound 1-sided, but im trying to build a realistic anti-mac argument, and looking for the answer to why "the mac is like ZOMGLEETHAX for digital imaging". Is it the OS that does this?

Enjoihcky24/7

Can't be configured to be nearly as powerful as a windows machine. You take the most powerful mac, spend half of the price of it and you can get a more powerful pc (maybe a very slight exaggeration).

cohen

Can't be configured to be nearly as powerful as a windows machine. You take the most powerful mac, spend half of the price of it and you can get a more powerful pc (maybe a very slight exaggeration).

well you can get a macbook and install windows on it then and then configure it. :D

cohen

but why are they so goood???

thats what i dont understand

and why get a mac if ur gona install windows on it?

They are good. the Mac is very good for edittin and the editting software you can get for macs is very good.

Putting windows on it won't help you fix the fact that the hardware is going to be weaker, there is no configuring to be done at this point.

The hardware is better than a windows system. Faster CPU (2.5GHZ) more ram... and that are a lot better than a windows base laptop.

rts_conrad

cohen is right. Macs are better than Windows for editting movies & photos, but for gaming they're complete crap, so if your friend wants to play some games like CS: Source I'd recommend installing Windows.

cohen

cohen is right. Macs are better than Windows for editting movies & photos, but for gaming they're complete crap, so if your friend wants to play some games like CS: Source I'd recommend installing Windows.

Thankyou,

Yes they are not good for gaming and that's why i recommend installing windows.... then you can game on windows and do anything else on the Mac OS or do what ever but you have the flexibility of the 2 OSs.

but what makes them so good at running photoshop? I can't seem to grasp that one OS would run photoshop so much better than another that a massive premium is worth paying.

I just want to understand "why" lol. I always hear its good, but with inferior hardware i just dont get it.

and this comp wont be used for any gaming, so there will be no need for windows i guess

Enjoihcky24/7

They are good. the Mac is very good for edittin and the editting software you can get for macs is very good.

The hardware is better than a windows system. Faster CPU (2.5GHZ) more ram... and that are a lot better than a windows base laptop.

For the price your going to pay to get the 2.5ghz CPU, youe could get a 2.6 or maybe even a 2.8 in a PC. NOt to mention your could get a better graphics card.

If this software you are discussing is photoshop a windows machine will run it just as well, same with 3dmax.

The choice still remains yours, but I don't want you to go spend the extra money and be wrong. Also putting Windows on the machine won't fix the problem that you have a crappy graphics card.

Here look at the specs of this at $3,400:
2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-OKAY NOT A BAD PROCESSOR
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)-NOT REALLY APPLICABLE
Accessory Kit
4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB-MAX RAM GOOD
200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm-NICE DRIVE
MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution LED Widescreen Display-THE ONE SPOT THATS HARD TO BEAT.
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide-JUST BELLS AND WHISTLES.
But look at the price you payed. Also take into account the video card is only a 8600m GT, nothing to fancy here.

NOW FOR $2900 A NICE PC:
Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1
Video/Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® Series - Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT - SLI Enabled WAY BETTER GRAPHICS HERE
Enables DirectX® 10 Graphics and up to 100% Performance Increase!
Chassis: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology - Stealth Black-VERY NICE SCREEN
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7600 2.33GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB-THE PROCESSOR IS SLIGHTLY SLOWER BUT YOU WON'T NOTICE THIS
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz – 2 x 2048MB-EQUIVALENT
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 120GB 7,200RPM (8MB Cache) w/ Free Fall Protection SWEET HARD DRIVE
Optical Drives : 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW) EQUAL POSSIBLY BETTER
Sound Card : High-Definition Audio with surround sound BETTER AUDIO

This saves you 500 bucks and is a better machine. Now imagine if you really shoppped around, you could probably get this even cheaper. With the money you save you could buy your software (photoshop or whatever it is that you want) as well as other extra's. Oh and with those graphics you could max out Crysis. This laptop is much better.

tlarkin

VIP Member
As a long time Mac and PC user, I suggest you go to my thread about OS X on this forum and read through it. I explain the differences and the costs. When you look at everything as a whole and all the features you will see that a Mac is clearly competitively priced.

http://www.computerforum.com/120762-macintosh-platform.html

If you have any specific questions about the Mac platform ask them in that thread. I am trying to keep all the misinformed and bias out of the thread to make it purely informational.

When it comes down to it, really the bottom line is personal preference, and of course usage.

Burn_all

i use my gf's macbook pro and it drives me crazy its freaking imposisble to use for some of the simpilist tastk >.< she got parellels and cant even get her bloodywebcam working on it. as for how macs are better at running photoshop i have no idea, i havent come across anything that my rig cant run for photoshop.. not to mention i have foud windows software to much ummm much easier to access then mac software.. if u want to buy every program ur going to use then get a mac :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
This saves you 500 bucks and is a better machine. Now imagine if you really shoppped around, you could probably get this even cheaper. With the money you save you could buy your software (photoshop or whatever it is that you want) as well as other extra's. Oh and with those graphics you could max out Crysis. This laptop is much better.

Quoted for subjective facts, and more of an opinion. I bet that PC laptop is missing several hundred dollars of features that are built into the Mac standard and we aren't even counting software. The Crysis thing I will agree with, but that is also kind of subjective.

Also, to the above poster, it is a known issue with the iSight and windows and they are working on fixing that. The drivers are there but there is no application that accesses it. Not totally Apple's fault since they don't develop applications for the windows platform.