macbook question

Kill Bill

Hmm. Mac wins every time and it is good for gaming my MBP I stuck Vista bootcamp so when I wanna play It's just a matter of how long i take to stick in the game disk or enter my password

tlarkin

VIP Member
Putting windows on it won't help you fix the fact that the hardware is going to be weaker, there is no configuring to be done at this point.

This I just have to laugh at. HOW IS IT WEAKER? A core 2 duo is a core 2 duo and RAM is RAM. They have the same parts in them man, and the difference is how the OS manages resources and in my experience Leopard does a lot better than Vista at managing resources.

cohen

This I just have to laugh at. HOW IS IT WEAKER? A core 2 duo is a core 2 duo and RAM is RAM. They have the same parts in them man, and the difference is how the OS manages resources and in my experience Leopard does a lot better than Vista at managing resources.

YES!!!! That is what i have been trying to say!

Enjoihcky24/7

It's only weaker because you can't put anything bigger than a 2.6ghz processor in. And for the price you pay it would seem to me you could find a 2.8ghz machine. I think i might have misstated. I just meant that you can't CONFIGURE a macbook pro to be as powerful as you could a pc.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It's only weaker because you can't put anything bigger than a 2.6ghz processor in. And for the price you pay it would seem to me you could find a 2.8ghz machine. I think i might have misstated. I just meant that you can't CONFIGURE a macbook pro to be as powerful as you could a pc.

Sorry, not buying it. Laptops are designed a certain way on purpose. They can't shove quad cores in a laptop because of the power consumption and heat issues. So, laptop processors will always be a bit lower than a desktop, because of power consumption and heat issues with laptops.

Also, I would be hard pressed to find a LED LCD for a PC laptop, which also consumes way less power and gives further battery life. On top of that, your only argument left to stand on would be video cards, and that only helps in certain situations. Gaming and 3D rendering. Anything else application wise a video card is kind of pointless after a certain point.

If they are so under powered and so expensive then why do Hollywood movies and Major record labels use them for their audio/video production and editing? I mean if what you say is true, and a company can spend less money and get better performance why aren't they doing so? I mean when you talk numbers, and you can save 500 bucks per a machine like you claim, and you are looking at buying 30 laptops for your company, that is a lot of money.

Enjoihcky24/7

I'm not saying the macs are useless, I'm not saying they are junk. I'm not even trying to pick an argument. In fact, I just went and read your article on some of the advantages and have to agree I like how OSX has no registry. However, I was making a PC laptop to OS X laptop. The truth remains for those who want the most power in the battery life will continue to go to PC's.

And I agree 100% on the LCD, they are very nice, but does the average user need to spend the extra cash for that. I mean the differential really is quite a lot. Now, I can also see an argument if a person needs every single bit of preloaded software, but it seems to me, for those who don't need it, it becomes a waste of space much like bloatware.

I just think that for the average user/gamer a PC laptop is better suited. I just can't justify spending all the extra cash to get "a better LCD" and a "more stable and secure operating system". Now, I understand this is preference. I wasn't just trying to say Macs are junk, I was just trying to make sure the OP new there were less expensive alternatives. Buying strictly "because of the name" doesn't make much sense to me. Also, it didn't seem to me that he would need the Mac features.

BTW, very educational post (the one you linked) it was an enjoyable/informative read.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Enj,

No, you are right, but let me say this about Macs versus a PC. A Mac is like a Lexus, it has everything you want built in and is engineered for a great user experience. A PC is really kind of like a Honda. Sure you can buy a Honda and it goes 70MPH and it runs just like every other car, and it gets the job done, but in comparison to the Lexus, there are obvious engineering differences that make up the cost. You can add lots of after market parts to your Honda to get some of the features a Lexus will have built in to them, but that doesn't make it better or more powerful.

It does in fact come down to preference, and cost is relative really. You can't build a laptop, so why buy a cheap one that will cost you more time and money down the road when you can just spend a bit more for the higher end computer to begin with and use it longer.

Leopard can run on a G4 867Mhz machine with 512MB of RAM. Those specs would place the machine from the 2001 era. Can you run Vista on a 7+ year old laptop or computer? No, you can't, and that is where the engineering comes in on what I am talking about.

Enjoihcky24/7

Alas you have a point, however Hyundai would have been a better choice I think :p. I mean Honda's last forever (same with Toyota's). As far as Lexus goes, I only know they're "fancy". Vista can barely run on many laptops being put out there now >.< Kinda disappointing to say the least. I think longevity is just as possible in a PC though, you just have to know who to buy from.

To tell the truth if we were talking strictly operating systems, I'd almost like to be able to dual boot OS X on my PC, but that isn't gonna happen though.

G25r8cer

well you can get a macbook and install windows on it then and then configure it. :D

Thats defeating the purpose of a Mac!! I believe the only good thing about macs is the OS. The mac hardware themselves are not that good for what you pay.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Thats defeating the purpose of a Mac!! I believe the only good thing about macs is the OS. The mac hardware themselves are not that good for what you pay.

Please share with us your knowledge or proof of why this is. Otherwise you are just being a troll and should stop posting useless crap like this.

Burn_all

simple mac are very idiot proof for most programs thats why people in hollywood use them :p cause there idiots.

but i do gotta say i dont like vista. its pretty crappy.. made things more of a pain in the ass then simple.. and if mac is so great they why dont they let u install it on a hand made computer? because they want to over charge you for there in house made computers.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
simple mac are very idiot proof for most programs thats why people in hollywood use them :p cause there idiots.

but i do gotta say i dont like vista. its pretty crappy.. made things more of a pain in the ass then simple.. and if mac is so great they why dont they let u install it on a hand made computer? because they want to over charge you for there in house made computers.

Again, you are just like everyone else who is misinformed. Try to prove to me they over charge. Try to build a HP or custom build yourself that try to do it spec for spec. You won't be able to.

Enjoihcky24/7

Look at the prices! They should speak for themselves.
Tlarkin does have a point, there is different software included. I do agree though. I don't think that macs are very competitive hardware wise.
However, not everyone has a budget and not everyone needs killer hardware in their laptop.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Look at the prices! They should speak for themselves.

Yeah, so all those laptops you are referring to have these standard specs?

Firewire 800
ABGN wireless
bluetooth EDR
SMS sensor
ambient light sensor
back lit keyboard
built in FW web cam
HDMI out
Optical audio out
multi touch mouse pad
High resolution LED LCD screens
On top of all that only be 1" thick

All of those come standard on a Mac laptop, and the price reflects those features. I am not even bringing software into this, and if I was I could easily add an additional $500 worth to the product for all the free software you get when you buy one.

So, until you can clearly, logically and thoughtfully explain to me how my logic is wrong, and prove to me that you can buy a PC laptop with all those features standard and it costing less than a Macbook, then I will admit I was wrong and you were right.

As for the hardware argument, you all realize they use intel parts, intel chipsets, and Nvidia and ATI video cards? They use the exact same hardware that a PC laptop uses, plus have all those added features built in.

tlarkin

VIP Member

I grow tired of educating fools, but here it goes

1) The screen is not as high quality

2) it is a half inch thicker and weighs more

3) No: SMS, ambient light sensor, back lit keyboard or firewire 800

4) HDMI and optical audio out? Not seeing it

5) multi touch mouse pad? Not seeing that either

6) Also, you need to upgrade to Vista Ultimate to get the full functionality that Leopard has out of the box. So that is a pay for upgrade right there. Since OS X by default has built in remote desktop, back up abilities, file system encryption, which all of those are only available in Vista ultimate but are standard in OS X Leopard.

That easily makes the cost if not makes the MBP look even more attractive for the price.

#EDIT

OK I saw the HDMI and SPDIF outputs, however the sound card is probably lower quality.

cohen

kill bill said:
P.S is anyone updating to 10.5.3 yet it got realsed 30mins ago i'm so excited.

I know one of my friends at school said he got an update i'll ask him today.

Burn_all

I grow tired of educating fools, but here it goes

1) The screen is not as high quality

2) it is a half inch thicker and weighs more

3) No: SMS, ambient light sensor, back lit keyboard or firewire 800

4) HDMI and optical audio out? Not seeing it

5) multi touch mouse pad? Not seeing that either

6) Also, you need to upgrade to Vista Ultimate to get the full functionality that Leopard has out of the box. So that is a pay for upgrade right there. Since OS X by default has built in remote desktop, back up abilities, file system encryption, which all of those are only available in Vista ultimate but are standard in OS X Leopard.

That easily makes the cost if not makes the MBP look even more attractive for the price.

#EDIT

OK I saw the HDMI and SPDIF outputs, however the sound card is probably lower quality.

1)mac, 1440 x 900 pixels , Asus 1680 x 1050 same aspect ratio.
2)scince when did 1/2 and inch and 1.3 pounds affect performance?and only 2 USB ports i find that lacking. no an S video for ppl with old tv's no a seriail port th. th. th.
3)okay i'll give u the keyboard but its not 400$ good, maby 40??
4)the Asus has HDMI where the mac dose not ug otta get a DCI to HDMI convter, so i dont know y u are fighting agients urself
5) multi touch is frekaing useless anyhow never used it. still not a 400$ value. maby 20.

6)ohhh now hes gone to arguing software over hardware performance if u wanan get into that i can state ur obvious gaming deficincy, not to mention all the programs out there u cant run, or the fact that for the most part your going to have to pay for ur software where most PC users can ask there friend or pirate what they need.

u havent educated me.

Edit: i saw ur edit lol

as for the sound we cant get into that without more information from each machine, note this is just a machine i grabbed that had simular specs, i'm sure for 1,999 i could blow that macbook pro outta the water.