Make program or video game use less RAM

oekoeloe

Hello,

Is it possible to let a program or video game use less RAM than there is available?
I remember there are settings for Minecraft for example that allows you to change it.
Is there like a program or a setting on windows 10 that can be used in general?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unless the program itself has the setting then no. A program will usually use as much memory as it takes to play correctly. If you don't have enough ram, then you need to upgrade. How much ram do you have?

oekoeloe

Unless the program itself has the setting then no. A program will usually use as much memory as it takes to play correctly. If you don't have enough ram, then you need to upgrade. How much ram do you have?

I have 16gb of ram. It's that this one game I try to play is known for crashing due to there being too much ram and causing a leak? I'm not sure if that's even possible. It's a some what older game
Thanks for the reply!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I remember some older games having that issue. There should be a patch for the game though.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's that this one game I try to play is known for crashing due to there being too much ram and causing a leak?
Technically the leak will be there regardless of how much ram you have. What game is it? Are you sure there are no work-arounds?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That's still fairly recent. I wouldn't expect "too much RAM" to be an issue ever, let alone with a relatively modern title. Memory leaks are one thing, but the only solution is to close it periodically once it becomes a problem to free the "lost" memory until the devs issue a patch.