Memory problems

Aastii

VIP Member
Aastii, let me know how the loaner ram checks out.

I will do, need to wait for em to get back though first, my mate who may have the RAM is away until this weekend so can't find out until then

Aastii

VIP Member
ok so how i do it do i have to buy a cd or can be download?

Alright well there are 2 options here.

What you must know initially is that the vista key you get is a license to use that version of windows (home edition, ultimate etc) on 32 or 64 bit, so when you buy a copy of vista you have bought a 32 and 64 bit version but only 1 is included on the disc. Now that you know that, another important point is brought up: legally when you buy an album, a piece of software, a dvd whatever, you are not buying the product, you are buying the right to use that product.

When you buy an album you are then legally alowed to listen to that music that you own, you do not own the rights to that music but you are allowed to use that music because that downloaded album or physical disc is a symbol that you have purchased the rights. You can use somebody elses wth their permision, it is the same as if you were to for example borrow a game off someone, they have bought the lisence to use it, you have just borrowed that lisence but it is not yours, consider it as a trial version.

So, you have purchased not windows vista, but a key to and the right to use windows vista, but (important) only the copy you have purchased.

Alright, so the 2 options, one is to buy another copy of windows vista, a 64 bit version. This is the copy microsoft want you to take because it means more money for them and it is for this reason that they have not included a download for vista on their site.

The second, and this is why i said e-mail me because how "allowed" this is to be discussed i don't know, so i will say now, should an admin read this, i am not endorsing or promoting torrents illegaly, only if used in a legal situation such as this where the person has, as said above, purchased a lisence and either needs a different copy of a different type that the liscence covers or has misplaced the disc which has the data on but has purchased a copy. Should this still be against forum rules i appologise and will understand if the post gets deleted.

Alright then, the second option, because you have got a liseence, as i explained above, you can legally download a torrent of 64 bit version of windows vista and then install the copy you have purchased. Should you install a copy you have NOT purchased, then it is illegal. you can use the key from the vista that you have and it will work and be legitamate for vista.

However with this sollution there could be one problem and this is a problem that occasionally occurs when you reinstall windows where it thinks the key is still in use. It is rare as it associates the vista key and the motherboard together, however sometimes it says it is in use. In this situation, contact microsoft (free phone, the number is on the product key part on the systems page) and tell them that you had to reinstall vista because of hardware issues and they will cancel your key, completely make it unusable and give you new one.

Zatharus

VIP Member
ok so how i do it do i have to buy a cd or can be download?

I will also stress what Aastii was saying regarding using your own license. That is the only legal way to install. As for the media, the proper channels for this would be directly through Microsoft. Yes, your license will work with the 64bit versions, and if you happen to purchas an Ultimate version of Vista or Windows 7 in the future, you will get both 32bit and 64bit versions in the box.

You can order the proper CD from Microsoft for a nominal fee here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

I would highly recommend following this option so you can obtain your own proper copy of the Vista64 installation DVD.

Again, I should warn you, you cannot easily do a direct "upgrade" to Vista64 from any prior 32bit install. This is a complete re-install.

Aastii

VIP Member
I will also stress what Aastii was saying regarding using your own license. That is the only legal way to install. As for the media, the proper channels for this would be directly through Microsoft. Yes, your license will work with the 64bit versions, and if you happen to purchas an Ultimate version of Vista or Windows 7 in the future, you will get both 32bit and 64bit versions in the box.

You can order the proper CD from Microsoft for a nominal fee here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

I would highly recommend following this option so you can obtain your own proper copy of the Vista64 installation DVD.

Again, I should warn you, you cannot easily do a direct "upgrade" to Vista64 from any prior 32bit install. This is a complete re-install.

This would be a better idea, i didn't know microsoft did that, so that would be the best option. I always thought you had to buy a complete new copy because microsoft are scroungeing little ***** who will do whatever they can for an extra bit of money......they make the best operating systems though :p

Zatharus

VIP Member
This would be a better idea, i didn't know microsoft did that, so that would be the best option. I always thought you had to buy a complete new copy because microsoft are scroungeing little ***** who will do whatever they can for an extra bit of money......they make the best operating systems though :p

So true... I was surprised they offered this so cheaply much less allowed the cross-licensing to work in the first place. It seemed so un-Microsoftian to not charge for every little version. :)

Aastii

VIP Member
So true... I was surprised they offered this so cheaply much less allowed the cross-licensing to work in the first place. It seemed so un-Microsoftian to not charge for every little version. :)

Well they sort of do. It isn't really a full OS because it comes with no office software, antivirus, firewall, doesn't have even most software to open most file types, not like mac or linux.

Side note, i would never go to mac, nobody should, it is the OS of the devil. Linux on the other hand, excellent OS and free and rully working :D

Zatharus

VIP Member
Well they sort of do. It isn't really a full OS because it comes with no office software, antivirus, firewall, doesn't have even most software to open most file types, not like mac or linux.

Side note, i would never go to mac, nobody should, it is the OS of the devil. Linux on the other hand, excellent OS and free and rully working :D

Of course the disc you would get from MS in this instance would be a "full" OS. True it wouldn't come with all the extra junk a manufacturer might include on their version of the installer, but that extra software hardly constitutes a part of the OS. I would refer to that as supporting software. That you don't get from MS. MS gives you the OS, the core. You, the user, expand upon it to your needs. Windows does come with a very basic firewall. I would rather not get into the discussion of whether or not MS should offer it's own anti-virus software...

Your ideas of a "full" OS are a bit skewed. You are thinking more of a computing environment. The OS is just the baseboard from which all else runs.

I won't touch the side note here... :p

Aastii

VIP Member
Of course the disc you would get from MS in this instance would be a "full" OS. True it wouldn't come with all the extra junk a manufacturer might include on their version of the installer, but that extra software hardly constitutes a part of the OS. I would refer to that as supporting software. That you don't get from MS. MS gives you the OS, the core. You, the user, expand upon it to your needs. Windows does come with a very basic firewall. I would rather not get into the discussion of whether or not MS should offer it's own anti-virus software...

Your ideas of a "full" OS are a bit skewed. You are thinking more of a computing environment. The OS is just the baseboard from which all else runs.

I won't touch the side note here... :p

hehe i know that an OS is purely for linking software and hardware together and giving an interface, but microsoft are pretty damn skimpy, thats all they give. For what reason, other than scripting, does notepad have, and why also put word pad in? just put one with all the features in.

The games are shoddy, it is hardly what ubuntu comes with :D

The only decent thing it comes with is WMP, which if you get used to it is better than itunes imo.

I think they should build some decent stuff into it and give you the option to put it in at installation rather than leave it so plain and make you have to buy office and anti-virus (if you are silly) and all stuff that you need. You can ofcourse get open office, but it doesn't have the features or office, nor does it have one note and if you haven't used this, you are missing out, it is possibly the best application i have ever used.

Zatharus

VIP Member
This discussion is deviating more sharply from the original poster's memory/OS questions. May I suggest we keep it close to that and move this conversation to another thread?

Aastii

VIP Member
This discussion is deviating more sharply from the original poster's memory/OS questions. May I suggest we keep it close to that and move this conversation to another thread?

Hmm it is getting totally away from the memory issue :p

I will repost this in the OS section and link this thread