Microsoft Bans Xbox Live Players

djarvis1one

I can't find any actual 'microsoft' cases so I think a previous poster was wrong in saying there was such a thing. Everything I've read says 'no seal, no warranty'. Pretty lame. For as pc savy as M$oft is you would think they would be a little more open to lettin people customize their systems.

Nah man... This is why they're as PC savvy as they are. You can't mod your system so when you want to upgrade, you have to buy the latest new model.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Correct but, if you never go on xbl then, you will be fine!

To people who dont know: The firmware is loaded on the cd/dvd drive itself and not the xbox. When you connect to internet, xbl, or updates microsoft can see the logs.

I am fairly certain you NEED to flash the firmware on the system as every hack your xbox tutorial I have read says you can brick your system, and what it does is it flashes I believe the optical drive. Since Xbox games are pressed a certain way it is hard to replicate that process when you burn them from your PC, which is why you flash the firmware of the optical drive to bypass what they put in place.

I know there are also software haxies and others that you run off a thumb drive, which do not alter your system. However, they all run the risk of bricking your xbox, which is why I never hacked mine. That and I bought mine when MS was handing out free 3 year warranties so I kept mine in factory condition.

Plus I don't mind paying for games and if I want something on xbox arcade I am sure I can get it online or play the browser version for free.

Aastii

VIP Member
I can't find any actual 'microsoft' cases so I think a previous poster was wrong in saying there was such a thing. Everything I've read says 'no seal, no warranty'. Pretty lame. For as pc savy as M$oft is you would think they would be a little more open to lettin people customize their systems.

It was me who said it, and I didn't say it won't void your warranty, I said it won't get you banned. You haven't changed any hardware, just the stuff around the hardware, but ofcourse, once you take the original case off, which you have to do to put a new one on, you can't prove that you didn't do something to the hardware which could have caused something to happen to it, inadvertantly or on purpose, which is why the seal is there in the first place, so you can prove that you have never gone to the internals and possibly messed something up.

So long as it is just the case you change though, you won't get banned from XBL, you will lose your warranty, but your standing with Microsoft will be good still

G25r8cer

I am fairly certain you NEED to flash the firmware on the system as every hack your xbox tutorial I have read says you can brick your system, and what it does is it flashes I believe the optical drive. Since Xbox games are pressed a certain way it is hard to replicate that process when you burn them from your PC, which is why you flash the firmware of the optical drive to bypass what they put in place.

Thats what I said

You have to flash the optical drive firmware to play burnt games. The only way microsoft can find out about this is if you connect to the internet or if you send it out for repairs. There are ways to get around this like flashing it back to the original firmware. And yes, you can brick your optical drive, NOT the system itself.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Thats what I said

You have to flash the optical drive firmware to play burnt games. The only way microsoft can find out about this is if you connect to the internet or if you send it out for repairs. There are ways to get around this like flashing it back to the original firmware. And yes, you can brick your optical drive, NOT the system itself.

There are other methods of hacking your xbox out there, with the drive flashing I believe being the most popular.

There are soft mod hacks that would register your system as being altered if it were online when running the hack.

I have no personal experience with any of them as I don't hack my consoles really.

Twist86

Nah man... This is why they're as PC savvy as they are. You can't mod your system so when you want to upgrade, you have to buy the latest new model.

Only if you play online. I have modded every console I own to play CD back ups of the games I buy.

I dunno how many times my PS2 has scratched Timesplitters and Summoner after buying them 4 times each I modded and now I giggle when it scratches vs being out $30+.

ScottALot

In Halo 3, once every 4 weekends or so, there's a game called Grifball that you can play. Some people betray their teammates so much in so many games that so many people file complaints against them and about 500 kids are banned from Halo 3 then.

massahwahl

VIP Member
It was me who said it, and I didn't say it won't void your warranty, I said it won't get you banned. You haven't changed any hardware, just the stuff around the hardware, but ofcourse, once you take the original case off, which you have to do to put a new one on, you can't prove that you didn't do something to the hardware which could have caused something to happen to it, inadvertantly or on purpose, which is why the seal is there in the first place, so you can prove that you have never gone to the internals and possibly messed something up.

So long as it is just the case you change though, you won't get banned from XBL, you will lose your warranty, but your standing with Microsoft will be good still

Sorry man I'm on my phone so I didn't want to sift through the whole thread again. I thought someone said you can buy 'official' xbox cases as in from microsoft to use. That's why I was confused as to why they would sell something that would void your warranty (which case replacing does)

So I guess ill be waiting until mine is out of warranty.

tlarkin

VIP Member
In Halo 3, once every 4 weekends or so, there's a game called Grifball that you can play. Some people betray their teammates so much in so many games that so many people file complaints against them and about 500 kids are banned from Halo 3 then.

My solution is simple, don't play Halo 3. I can barely stand counter strike with all the kids yelling on the mic. I have to mute half my team or turn off voice communications all together sometimes.

I tried Halo a few times and man, it drove me nuts. I heard a kid fight with his parents about playing games past his bed time, and it was 9PM, so this kid had to be young. I figured he was at least 12 to 14 if his parents were letting him play games like that.

Totally reminded me of that chocolate milk video on youtube of that kid crying to his mom about how he wanted a glass of chocolate milk. I'd have beaten that kid if he talked to his mother that way and if I was the father. Then taken that xbox away and made him earn it back. That would not have flown in my house growing up.

massahwahl

VIP Member
My solution is simple, don't play Halo 3. I can barely stand counter strike with all the kids yelling on the mic. I have to mute half my team or turn off voice communications all together sometimes.

I tried Halo a few times and man, it drove me nuts. I heard a kid fight with his parents about playing games past his bed time, and it was 9PM, so this kid had to be young. I figured he was at least 12 to 14 if his parents were letting him play games like that.

Totally reminded me of that chocolate milk video on youtube of that kid crying to his mom about how he wanted a glass of chocolate milk. I'd have beaten that kid if he talked to his mother that way and if I was the father. Then taken that xbox away and made him earn it back. That would not have flown in my house growing up.

I noticed a lot of very young very annoying kids playing CoD4 too. Some of these kids were using language that put me to shame! My mother would have beat me senseless if I had said things like these kids do! Its not just young ones though, there are plenty of adults who don't act like they have a lick of sense either.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I noticed a lot of very young very annoying kids playing CoD4 too. Some of these kids were using language that put me to shame! My mother would have beat me senseless if I had said things like these kids do! Its not just young ones though, there are plenty of adults who don't act like they have a lick of sense either.

yeah there is this one dude online who plays on the same gun game server as I do, and he is around my age or older and I have to mute him constantly. He always corrects whatever anyone says and gives you the right answer, and then brags about how he is a manager for boeing and makes lots of money. Congrats man, you made it to middle management, here is your cookie now STFU and stop base camping!

I joined a L4D steam group called smart people with mics. If you don't have a mic I kick you, and if you are an idiot and annoying I kick you. However, that doesn't mean you gotta be serious, gaming is fun and I like to joke around but there is a fine line you can cross.

Justin

VIP Member
over here in the philippines where piracy is dominant, the majority of people here have modded 360's and PS2's as people here in flea markets sell pirated CD's of these games. they also have Wii, PC, and the old Xbox games. over here, there still aren't any pirated PS3 games so I guess no one has managed to mod the PS3 itself to run pirated blu-ray games.

there's a stereotype sort of thing here. if you got a modded ps2, you're an average joe. if you got a modded 360, pretty rich since you were able to buy a next gen console. and if you got a ps3, you're rich since you have a next gen console and can afford to buy games for it. lol

tlarkin

VIP Member
over here in the philippines where piracy is dominant, the majority of people here have modded 360's and PS2's as people here in flea markets sell pirated CD's of these games. they also have Wii, PC, and the old Xbox games. over here, there still aren't any pirated PS3 games so I guess no one has managed to mod the PS3 itself to run pirated blu-ray games.

there's a stereotype sort of thing here. if you got a modded ps2, you're an average joe. if you got a modded 360, pretty rich since you were able to buy a next gen console. and if you got a ps3, you're rich since you have a next gen console and can afford to buy games for it. lol

It is not all that different in the USA. There is a reason the Wii out sells everyone and it is mainly because it is the most affordable.

Archangel

VIP Member
There are other methods of hacking your xbox out there

yes, using an axe for example. altough, I'm pretty sure the warranty is voided then.

Anyways, I agree. my gues would be that its a checksum check they did on the xbox's, so I dont think people who havn't had their xboxes flashed would be banned now.

and it's incredibly mainstream as well.

Dont tell me you hate something just because its mainstream. :p

JlCollins005

I know there are also software haxies and others that you run off a thumb drive, which do not alter your system. However, they all run the risk of bricking your xbox, which is why I never hacked mine. That and I bought mine when MS was handing out free 3 year warranties so I kept mine in factory condition.

Plus I don't mind paying for games and if I want something on xbox arcade I am sure I can get it online or play the browser version for free.

The firmware hack is the only way to do hack the 360, there are no other usb devices or what not that will allow you to do so, and for the bricking you will only achieve this if you dont save the original drive key since you need it for the firmware flash

tlarkin

VIP Member
The firmware hack is the only way to do hack the 360, there are no other usb devices or what not that will allow you to do so, and for the bricking you will only achieve this if you dont save the original drive key since you need it for the firmware flash

I may be confusing the soft hack with the original xbox, but I know they do exist. Regardless though, this isn't a how to mod your xbox forum nor do these forums encourage or support such things as it is considering hacking and quite possibly illegal.

tlarkin

VIP Member
and it's incredibly mainstream as well.

It is just marketed at a different demographic. Only a percentage of people play video games and of that percentage only some of them are really into it. While other gamers are way more casual. The Wii markets itself to the casual gamer, and that is why it is so popular.

I know people who hate video games but have a Wii, see where I am going with this?

Also, I think that certain games make the Wii worth owning. Mariokart, Zelda, Metroid, the Mario platformers. All those games are great and that is why I own a Wii for the most part.

I'll admit some games are lacking in many features, but other games are perfect for the Wii.

Feuerfrei.x

lol my brothers one of the people who got banned -- he was screaming AND SHOUTING AT IT, my dad shouted at him, my step mum was just silent

And i just laughed :p

serves him rite!!!