Microsoft Bans Xbox Live Players

Droogie

Dont tell me you hate something just because its mainstream. :p

no no, i was just adding to what tlarkin said about it. i sold mine just because i didn't use it. i'd classify myself as more of a competitive gamer, the wii's online system is a joke, and there are few games that interest me.

Aastii

VIP Member
I have a Wii, I got it the day they came out and have used it for maybe 48 hours in total over that time, I haven't used it in around 2 or 3 months :p I could ebay it as brand new and nobody would know the difference...I may do just that actually, make a couple hundred quid off of it

Droogie

^ they aren't selling for much. at least not in the states anyway. nobody is willing to give you much unless you have wii fit.

may be more in demand in the UK though.

Aastii

VIP Member
Well I have wii fit, with balance board, and rock band (got it before i got my xbox) with all instruments and that, and a few other games, and 2 controllers, and hdmi cable, so it may go for a bit, got more than most on ebay have that is for sure.

Just checked ebay now and if i were to sell it as a bundle, it would go for around £300, so that is actually very very good, I could get a PS3 for that, or better yet, upgrade my system a bit, or better yet, put it towards driving lessons/driving stuff (ie, car, insurance, tax, etc)

JlCollins005

I may be confusing the soft hack with the original xbox, but I know they do exist. Regardless though, this isn't a how to mod your xbox forum nor do these forums encourage or support such things as it is considering hacking and quite possibly illegal.

yea i know, the original xbox could be done by simply by inserting a certain game and having the right game save thats it.

It is not illegal to modify your system as it is yours, it is illegal to obtain or play games that are not retail copies

tlarkin

VIP Member
yea i know, the original xbox could be done by simply by inserting a certain game and having the right game save thats it.

It is not illegal to modify your system as it is yours, it is illegal to obtain or play games that are not retail copies

Copy right and intellectual property laws clearly protect your product from being modified for outside it's intended use. However, those laws don't always hold up in court and the court costs to enforce them would be tremendous.

So, technically, we are both right.

massahwahl

VIP Member

How is it not illegal? If it was legal how could microsoft ban your account considering they can't PROVE you were playing pirated games?

Guns are legal but that doesn't mean its legal to kill someone with it :/

Aastii

VIP Member
How is it not illegal? If it was legal how could microsoft ban your account considering they can't PROVE you were playing pirated games?

Guns are legal but that doesn't mean its legal to kill someone with it :/

well they can ban your account because the only reason to have a modified firmware is to play burned games.

Having the games are illegal yes, they can take you to court for that one, but the reason people got banned from XBL for it is because to mod your console in a way that makes it have different hardware or able to play modded games is against the EULA, so they are totally within their rights to ban these idiots and it serves them right for trying to pirate games

JlCollins005

yes, i guess you are right but look at how many xbox's were banned. MS can ban like i said but the people that make the mods are a step ahead of them. Also, maybe less people would pirate the games if they didnt have to pay 60 dollars a game on top of 40 a year to play the game online. with the economy how it is i doubt you will see a cutback in pirating

Aastii

VIP Member
yes, i guess you are right but look at how many xbox's were banned. MS can ban like i said but the people that make the mods are a step ahead of them. Also, maybe less people would pirate the games if they didnt have to pay 60 dollars a game on top of 40 a year to play the game online. with the economy how it is i doubt you will see a cutback in pirating

I know, an extra $3 a month to go online, how anyone can afford that in the current climate is beyond me :p

JlCollins005

haha alright smarty im just saying with the economy how it is 60 bucks a game and everything, i think if they cut the cost of the games more people would buy them same for pc

Aastii

VIP Member
haha alright smarty im just saying with the economy how it is 60 bucks a game and everything, i think if they cut the cost of the games more people would buy them same for pc

Have you seen the prices of PC games now on steam. idk if it is the same over in US, but in UK about half of all new games are £5 to £10 more expensive than a normal game, evn with the preorder discount :eek:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you seen the prices of PC games now on steam. idk if it is the same over in US, but in UK about half of all new games are £5 to £10 more expensive than a normal game, evn with the preorder discount :eek:

Steam have some wicked week end deals though...crysis + crysis warhead + wars for £19.99 :eek:

Aastii

VIP Member
Steam have some wicked week end deals though...crysis + crysis warhead + wars for £19.99 :eek:

oh yea they are sweet, but when will the decent games be on for good prices? Very rarely do deals come around that make you go "omg that is awesome"

The last one I actually got because I wanted it was CoD:WaW, and that was what, 4 or 5 months ago

Aastii

VIP Member
thats what im saying if they cut the cost maybe it would cut down on pirating

I agree, but I think it would cut it much less than you might think, if people see something for free and the same thing payed for, it is obvious which they will go for, there will still be the people that will take the moral low ground and not think of consequences for themselves, the industry and everyone else.

linkin

VIP Member
have you seen the price of modern warefare 2 on steam? $89.99 AU - no wonder no one i know owns it apart from you guys here on CF.

Aastii

VIP Member
have you seen the price of modern warefare 2 on steam? $89.99 AU - no wonder no one i know owns it apart from you guys here on CF.

Yea you drew the short straw, seems someone at IW cocked up their currency conversions...add that to the long list of other things they have messed up with this release :p

awildgoose

No no no, all prices on steam are in US... yes I found that out the hard way (not with MW2 though).
A lot of pirated games can't go online anyway (well with PC at least) so basically anyone who wants to go online to play others needs to buy the game properly anyway and there are a lot of people who do want to go online so yea...