Microsoft Surface!!!

apj101

VIP Member
Its really cool but it seems to be kind of another way for microshaft to get into everyone's lives..

funny when this technology was shown a while ago by the manufacturer everyone thought is was awesome, now Microsoft have bought into it suddenly all the abuse starts....typical I guess

This technology has been arround for a while, its on the new iPhones, albeit in smaller scale, basically its touch screen that detects mutliple inputs

apj101

VIP Member
But how the hell does it recognize, say, when you put your phone on it?
huh, i never watched that video, that is pretty cool.

Wifi? Bluetooth. It may only work with particular phones.

it will only work with certain models i bet,

problem is you cant really spend long periods of time hunched over the table like that, would kill your back

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
funny when this technology was shown a while ago by the manufacturer everyone thought is was awesome, now Microsoft have bought into it suddenly all the abuse starts....typical I guess
It's always the way, its like a social stance that everyone everywhere adopts no matter what thier technological orientation, somewhere along the way, we have all been groomed to hate MS and everything they do, and for no viable reason either.

This is a great product from microsoft using existing technology. Note that it is existing, it already exists and MS didnt make it, this is just their product uising multi-point touch screen technology. I can't quite see where everyone get's their hatred from

dragon

12-Gauge

I can see useful applications for the technology but, then again, some of the scenarios shown in the videos were somewhat farfetched. I mean, when it showed the couple selecting their food at a restaurant using an on screen interface I kept thinking: "what's wrong with a bloody menu?"

codeman0013

No one said i ever hated microsoft. I was just saying it sounded like another way to get money from us basically. I knew the techonolgy existed as i had watched a video on youtube like 6 months ago from a guy in chicago that made one himself. Microsoft just will glob onto this and undercut to make all the money off of it and you will end up with a bunch of microsoft products and no competitors fo ra while but i'm not sayin gi woudlnt get one i think its freaking amazing with alll the cool technology involved.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I was just saying it sounded like another way to get money from us basically.
They are a business... what are they supposed to do, lay back for 8 months and let all the other people beat them to the market...??

If some other company, like, i dont know, oh Apple... for example did this, there wouldnt be nearly as much fuss, it would be "oooh look, antoher innovative, new and dashing product from apple, lets all go and buy one, but when MS do it, there are always negative views, and there is no reason for them at all

dragon

apj101

VIP Member
Microsoft just will glob onto this and undercut to make all the money off of it and you will end up with a bunch of microsoft products and no competitors fo ra while but i'm not sayin gi woudlnt get one i think its freaking amazing with alll the cool technology involved.
they arent that hot at hardware developement, hence the reason you still have the logitechs, IBM, et al

monoman

I'd say that looks pretty amazing, but I'm sure it will have a pretty amazing price tag as well.

I do like the whole credit card bit though with the fingerprint recognition. Also the little effects with the drinks, I could imagine drunkenly playing around with that at my local boozer on the weekend.

monoman

I can see useful applications for the technology but, then again, some of the scenarios shown in the videos were somewhat farfetched. I mean, when it showed the couple selecting their food at a restaurant using an on screen interface I kept thinking: "what's wrong with a bloody menu?"

I do agree with this to an extent, I thought they were milking it a bit, but I suppose that it is their perogative as a company in a competitive industry, to try and appeal to the average joe too, who does not have a PHD in computer science etc... so in that respect I can understand it.(even if they are morealess 'the big cheese')

To be honest I think that this is a good way for the industry to be moving myself, and the pioneers behind all these new technologies have got great vision. I'm sure, as with all good technologies, this will need alot of time and input to find useful applications that are worth spending money on, and develop.

12-Gauge

The technology certainly has a future. But my guess is that it's a distant future, and, for now, it will not reach mainstream status. It would be just too darn expensive.

apj101

VIP Member
The technology certainly has a future. But my guess is that it's a distant future, and, for now, it will not reach mainstream status. It would be just too darn expensive.

it will be mainstream in under 5 years imo. Technology moves bloody fast. This would have great application in a lot of industries

12-Gauge

it will be mainstream in under 5 years imo. Technology moves bloody fast. This would have great application in a lot of industries

I suppose you're right. A lot can happen in 5 years.

ducis

Microsoft is needed desperately to develop the work/research of people who can not develop it themselves