Missing wireless network icon in system tray

_Lynn_

Yesterday when I was starting up the computer, I think the plug was loose or something and during the middle of starting up the computer just went off by itself. After turning it on again and logging in, I found that the wireless icon was gone (the one that looks like a radar with green bars indicating signal strength) in the system tray. I've tried the following already but nothing works:
- Disable/re-enable wireless in device manager
- Restart the computer
- Enable icon display in network connections -> wireless network properties

Windows is able to detect the wireless networks properly, however the signal strength is "low" (which is not normal as I usually have good or excellent signal strength), and browser occasionally freezes/hiccups in connection. Also if I try to access Intel PROWireless utility, nothing happens when I click it in program files, so something's definitely wrong with the wireless.

Screen 1:
YlaiI.jpg

Screen 2:
ghyar.jpg

Screen 3:
E1wiE.jpg

Does anyone know how to get that icon back? Thanks.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like you may have partially fried the wireless card. You may want to uninstall the wireless software in add/remove programs and then reinstall the latest driver for the wireless by going to the laptop manufacturers support website.

_Lynn_

It looks like you may have partially fried the wireless card. You may want to uninstall the wireless software in add/remove programs and then reinstall the latest driver for the wireless by going to the laptop manufacturers support website.
Thanks. I reinstalled the driver through add/remove programs and now it's working fine. :)
It was probably broken as I took apart the laptop fan yesterday to clean the dust off, but did not reapply the layer of heatsink cooling gel, so the laptop probably overheated.