Monitor intermittent "black out"

ssal

This is my built:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 ZT-P10620A-10M 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
EVGA - 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply - Black
ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive X2
COUGAR MX330 Mid-Tower Case
LG Internal SATA 24x DVD CD +/-R & RW DL Disc Burner Re-Writer Drive OEM Bulk
DVI/Displayport cable
HDMI VGA Adapter
Additional Fans x3

Monitors:
Princeton 24" 1920x1080
HP S2331a 23.5" 1920x1080

Symptom

In Windows 11/Display setting, I set up two monitors with the extend option. Thus the monitors are designated as #1 and #2.

Monitor #1 would turn black screen for about 1-2 seconds and come back
It occurs more frequent when I launch a new application and frequency seems to much long after I am in the app for a while.

Monitor #2 has the black out briefly but very rarely. And it seems to stop after the computer starts up.

Things I've tried:

I swaped the monitor without changing cables. I also swape the cables.
In both cases, the problems remained with Monitor #1 and #2 had the very rare black out.

I went on Device Manager and made sure that the GPU graphic card driver is up to date.

Can someone give me an idea what was the cause and how to get around fixing it?

ssal

I hope this doesn't jinx me. It seems that I have resolved the problem and it seems too easy.
I replaced the AC power cable with a NEC OEM AC cable and it stopped the Black Out. I replaced it this afternoon but I have already gotten the machine on for an hour so whatever problem I had when I first awoke the machine was already stabilized. I wasn't sure that the cable had fixed the problem.
I left the machine for 6 hours and just awoke it. Normally (before it's fixed) the blinking start within 40 seconds and then would go on for at least 10 15 minutes. So far, I had one one occurrence on #1 and #2. I think it is related to the machine loading the profile after I had already launch Lightroom. The BO seems to have stopped.
That's very good news to me.

Last edited:

ssal

After I got the problem fixed, I retraced the problem and pinned it down to two possible causes.
Replacing the cable solved the problem. But the new cable was run from another power outlet (although it is in the same circuit breaker area). I found it hard to believe that an AC cable can go bad because there is no electronic in it. The only way it will fail is to have the wire cut off, which did not.
I started to suspect the problem may lie with the 6-outlet power strip (the one with its own built in circuit breaker and on/off switch). Did a lot of plugging and testing. Sure enough, the strip is failing. There is juice going thru the wire, but not enough to power up some units.
Just want to share my problem and solution with everyone.

ssal

Actually, fixing the power strip problem not only cured the blinking monitor issue. I had two other issues that had been bothering me a while but could not get it fixed for the life of me.

My 32gb DRAM are rated 3200 Mhz and I configured it to 3200 on the MBO. It would dropped back to 2133 Mhz within days.

I set the computer to go to sleep after 20 minutes of non-activity. But it would wake up by itself for no reason at all.

Now, with the power strip fixed, that went away too.

Jiniix

Windows PCs waking themselves up from sleep has been an issue for a trillion years, roughly. The RAM resetting to default speeds to me indicates that your PC crashes, or crashed once at least.
Whenever I stand up at work one of my monitors will turn off for a second or two due to static electricity, it also very rarely at home.

beers

Staff member
Whenever I stand up at work one of my monitors will turn off for a second or two due to static electricity, it also very rarely at home.
Nice fam I had a issue for a bit where trying to press power on the nintendo switch would zap/shock around the plastic button and into the housing with static, significantly worse in winter, but apparently it was strong enough to cause the ethernet switch next to it to power cycle. Happened probably a dozen times but was randomly remediated when recabling.