MORE Problems PLEASE help!

Comp_Newb

ill try to get into the bios, if you guys have me try anything else please explain in a little more detail as im not very familure with computers.
jeff

Comp_Newb

Thanks Ill Check Them Out. I Tried Geting Into The BIOS Amd Got Nothing. I Also Noticed That The Key Board Or Mouse Seen To Have No Life At All. Usually I Get Green Lights On The Key Board, And A Red Light On My Mouse. Jeff

paratwa

From reading those links it looks like you need to hit the f2 key to get into your bios. Not the delete key which is the usual way to do it.

If you are using a USB keyboard and mouse you might need to connect them to the PS2 ports on the back of your system to get them to work. There is an adapter that might have come with your system to hook them up. If not they are cheap. Just go to the store and tell them you need 2 usb to PS2 adapters.

What happens is that the usb drivers do not load and you need to hook them up the old way, which is to the PS2.

The PS2 ports should be near the top on the back of your system, they are round and about a 1/4 inch around. They will be next to each other. They might also have pictures of a keyboard and a mouse next to them.

Last edited:

paratwa

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to live in AZ? If so maybe I can look at it for you. If not there are tons of places that will trouble shoot your system. But be prepared to spend the $ to get it fixed.

Comp_Newb

no im in CA...
i have been using the usb ports for my mouse and key board, i believe i have the adapter for the key board. i'll look further and see what i
got. Is the ps2 port the name for both adapters, mouse and key board?
jeff
by the way thanks much for all your help!

Last edited:

paratwa

yeah its the same name. Most systems still come with 2 ps2 ports.

And no problem with what help I have given, if any. I'm home sick this weekend anyways, nothing else to do :)

elitehacker

ALL motherboard these days still come with PS/2 ports, they are not being phased out. They are green and purple, green for the mouse and the other for the keyboard.

Comp_Newb

ok guys i tried using the ps2 port and nothing happened, the mouse and key board still seem to be dead, no life/power at all.
Also tried f2 but with no power to the key board means no functioning key board.
jeff

Comp_Newb

ouch!
so what do you think i should do? part it out?
ALSO- how can i get my info off this pc?
man this is a shocker:-( i never expected this.
jeff

Last edited:

20thCenturyBoy

The only way I know of fixing a dead motherboard is replacing the CMOS battery and from what I've heard it hardly ever works.

I don't know if you we're asking how to get data off the hard drive or get your personal stuff off so you could throw it away safely. Getting your data off would be more of a challenge, but if you want to throw the whole system away you could have fun smashing your hard drive! But personally I think you shouldn't throw it out.

Comp_Newb

i want to get my pictures off it, how would i do this?
and if not is there a way of wiping it clean then selling the 80gb HD??

lhoney2

Put the harddrive into a working computer as a slave drive and transfer the files you want off of it.

You could also use one of those external drive enclosures, then transfer via USB.