Motherboard issues.

JuggaloKillaz

I was given an emachines t2200 i thinks thats the case number. It has a AMD mobo and no power supply. I went into my intel case and connected a power supply and no power to mobo. I staayed after school and tested 10 power supplies and only one worked. the funny thing is the power supplies are the same connectors and watts. 200 watts. I connected the power supplly to the case and the fan went runnning but no signal to the monitor or i didnt hear the hard drive boot up. meaning the POST wasnt complete. I tried a new video card and no progress. Does it sound like the mobo's fried?

JuggaloKillaz

teh thing is the power supplies are 250 watts each and it sould run right. there should be a image on the minotor and the hard drive should at least boot up.

PC eye

banned
Your initial post stated 200w there which sounded odd since I remember 180w and 250w supplies easy enough. The lack of any audio alerts like beep codes or a visual message rules out a cpu failure on most systems. The lack of anything like drive lights coming on briefly would point at the board while the supply itself may only have enough power to run the cpu fan only.

The system specifications indicate that a standard 350w supply should be used. A 250w supply doesn't meet the bare minimum to run an Atholon board. After the Slot #1 boards onto the Duron and Atholon models the minimum of a 300w supply became the standard. The specifications can be looked over at http://www.epinions.com/pr-Desktops_eMachines_T2200_Desktop_T2200/display_~full_specs

PC eye

banned
You mention trying several 250w power supplies while the minimum power is 300w or better. You simply don't have a large supply to run the system. This is why you won't even see it finish the post tests. A good 350w would meet the manufacturer's usual recommendation for that type of board.

JuggaloKillaz

ok cool so it wont be a waste of money if i bought a new power supply? If this doesnt work, is there a way to turn it in back in the store?

SirKenin

banned
If you tested the PSU on a different computer and it worked, then plugged it into the E-machines and it didn't work, it's not the PSU that's the problem, and to buy another one would just be a waste of your time and money.

Even a 200W PSU will power that system enough to get a post. To make certain, though, unplug everything but the CPU fan and the mobo. Don't power the DVDRW or the HDD. Not even the case fans. That PSU will then be PLENTY to make it post. If it doesn't, you know for darn sure, 100% certain, that the PSU isn't the problem.

SirKenin

banned
No, I would look at something else in the computer being the problem. Start with reseating the components on the board, then swapping them out. If that doesn't work, the board is at fault.

SirKenin

banned
yup, theoretically at least. lol

As long as you're sure the monitor or it's cable isn't at fault, then the only thing it can be is a component on the mobo.

PC eye

banned
yeah it has onboard. I did that but theres no video. this sucks i hope its not fryed it would be better than my pentium 3.

The one thing you can do on that model is try running an AGP card to see if the onboard is toast or you are seeing a different problem altogether. It does point at the onboard chip being no good however.

JuggaloKillaz

the thing is i have no AGP video card. this mobo does have an AGP slot also. the thing is the post does not complete there should be something on the screen. there isnt.

PC eye

banned
The post won't be able to complete without a working video source. At this point you will either have to replace the board or even borrow if not buy a card to see if the system will run normally after you then disable the onboard. You can find a number of AGP cards that will go right in there. Both NVidia and ATI.

PC eye

banned
If you install a known working AGP card and still see "nothing" and especially hear nothing that sounds like the syystem is going through the post tests normally you could have a bad bios eprom, bad cpu, or failed supply if not bad memory and hear a beep code if not see a hardware failure message on screen.

It still sounds like you are underpowered there to see the system start through the normal boot process. When you first power up a system that's when you usually see the largest pull on the supply itself. If a supply can't maintain the minimum amperage level the system will stall. There wouldn't be enough power even for the basics. You need a compatible supply for that model.