Motherboard only reads 384mb of RAM NEED HELP!

Briguy

Ok,

So I have a cb60-BX rev B1 Motherboard that runs at 100fsb. It has 3 dimm slots which I have put 3 256mb pc133 sdram ecc sticks in and it only reads 384mb of ram. I have ECC on in the Bios. I was thinking maybe it likes pc100 better?

Any Ideas?

I thought I heard that you can't put faster mhz ram that is higher then your motherboards fsb? If that's the case my motherboard's fsb is 100mhz and the rams is running at 133mhz.

Not compatible? So I should go with pc100?

Last edited:

Gareth

I am guessing the memory is unbuffered. That motherboard supports a maximum of

384MB unbuffered memory
768MB registered memory

PC eye

banned
PC66 or PC100 memory standard. The PC133 may be simply backclocking to the PC100 speed allowing that to be used. Unbuffered sees a 384mb max according to the only reference found on the old board there.

16MB to 384MB memory using unbuffered DIMMs
32MB to 768MB memory using registered DIMMs
Three 168-pin DIMM sockets
Uses x64 or x72 PC SDRAM, 3.3V
PC-66 SDRAM DIMM for 66MHz FSB processors
PC-100 SDRAM DIMM for 100MHz FSB processors
ECC supported (uses x72 PC SDRAM DIMM)
http://www.itox.com/pages/products/mothers/revcontrol/cb60bxb.php

you proabbaly have shared graphics memorie so your graphics is useing maybe half that, my computer reads 448 because i have 122 in graphics!

PC eye

banned
If the bios sees a larger then default 64mb there then that would be another idea. But PC133 memory is one step above the supported memory speed for that model board and could be half the problem. If you do replace the memory just make sure it's the registered and not unbuffered type.

I ran three 256mb simms on an old Shuttle board several years back where you saw 768mb then on PC133 being the max while PC100 could also be used at the time on that board. But that was seen on a newer AMD Slot A model then the Intel P II you have there.

Briguy

So I want to buy 3 256mb sticks of pc100 sdram registered ecc.

It's a Intel 440bx chipset.

So should I use high or low density ram for it?

PC eye

banned
The early PC100 standard systems would see the low density memory used while the newer SDRAM based systems like what you have there would use the high density registered. That would be the thought there since that's a later Socket 370 P III/Celeron model board in use.

Briguy

The early PC100 standard systems would see the low density memory used while the newer SDRAM based systems like what you have there would use the high density registered. That would be the thought there since that's a later Socket 370 P III/Celeron model board in use.

I thought that the high density ram works on more AMD based chips then Intel?

PC eye

banned
Once sdram became the memory standard that effected Intel as well as AMD there. You'll note from the specifications on the board you have there that it is backward compatible with PC66 SDRAM as well as the PC100 standard meaning even the older slower memory would have to be high density.

Briguy

Once sdram became the memory standard that effected Intel as well as AMD there. You'll note from the specifications on the board you have there that it is backward compatible with PC66 SDRAM as well as the PC100 standard meaning even the older slower memory would have to be high density.

So what your saying is I should use high density for this board?

PC eye

banned
That's the type to use for the board there. The low density memory would be used on older non sdram type boards while that one was a later model Socket 370 P III board. A Pentium Pro. P I or II would see low density there.

The one thing to remember about old boards like that is that they were very rigid on specifications unlike newer boards like many DDR boards were single or dual sided dimms could both be used or the next higher speed of memory would run at the fastest supported. On a board like the one you have there PC133 memory would likely not run at all since the requirement is 100/66 only.

Fussy boards is basically what is seen with old relics! :p I did find a vendor that still carries the PC66 and 100 at http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/sdram.html?Standard=PC100

I was a little surprized to see EDO memory also listed since I haven't seen any of that for a good number of years now. Talk about ancient relics try restoring an old I386 when you get a chance. :p

StrangleHold

Staff member
So I want to buy 3 256mb sticks of pc100 sdram registered ecc.

It's a Intel 440bx chipset.

So should I use high or low density ram for it?

If you want to run over 384 mbs. You will have to use registered memory. ECC and registered is not the same but alot are both, your board supports ECC too. Registered just holds the data one clock cycle/ alittle slower. As far as high or low density, it doesnt really matter. Just make sure all the sticks are the same brand and model and all are either double or single sided. Single if possible. If you need any other info. just post back.

PC eye

banned
There are no dual sided PC100 simms. The board there uses high density registered memory to see the full 768mb capabilty. Once you move up from Socket 370 to 423 then you run into boards that run DDR sdram memory no longer seeing simms.

StrangleHold

Staff member
There are no dual sided PC100 simms. The board there uses high density registered memory to see the full 768mb capabilty. Once you move up from Socket 370 to 423 then you run into boards that run DDR sdram memory no longer seeing simms.

What, this get crazier every day.

His board doesnt even use simms memory. What the hell are you talking about?

Does that look like simms slots to you!!!

PC eye

banned
What, this get crazier every day.

His board doesnt even use simms memory. What the hell are you talking about?

Does that look like simms slots to you!!!

Yes it does look familiar since I ran PC66/PC100/PC133 memory until until getting into the first Socket A build here. If you bothered to look you would notice that PC66/100/133 memory doesn't see locking retainers at the end of the memory slot as seen with DDR and on. Dimms are inserted straight in and that was it.

Now let's review the actual specifications again to see...

SYSTEM MEMORY *For compatibility: Order your memory
via ITOX or ensure that your vendor's memory is compatible with Intel[SIZE=-1]® 440BX AGPset.[/SIZE]

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yes it does look familiar since I ran PC66/PC100/PC133 memory until until getting into the first Socket A build here. If you bothered to look you would notice that PC66/100/133 memory doesn't see locking retainers at the end of the memory slot as seen with DDR and on. Dimms are inserted straight in and that was it.

Now let's review the actual specifications again to see...

SYSTEM MEMORY *For compatibility: Order your memory
via ITOX or ensure that your vendor's memory is compatible with Intel[SIZE=-1]® 440BX AGPset.[/SIZE]

Yes PC eye, look at it.

Three 168-pin DIMM sockets.

You dont know the difference in SIMMS and DIMMS do you.

SIMMS only came in 30/72 pins and installed at a angle and snapped upright into place. This board does not use SIMMS!!!!!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Yes PC eye, look at it.

Three 168-pin DIMM sockets.

You dont know the difference in SIMMS and DIMMS do you.

SIMMS only came in 30/72 pins and installed at a angle and snapped upright into place. This board does not use SIMMS!!!!!

Well I'm glad you finally figured that one out! :p I haven't actually seen simms since I ran that old I386 clunker from IBM. The old I486 AST ran 64mb of EDO 66 memory there. Those were the daze alright taking forever to get anything done!

As I was pointing out earlier, Briguy, that board sees the sdram standard and would use high density PC100 regustered not unbuffered low density memory for seeing the best results there.

tyttebøvs

Is it not intelligent? A couple of post above you say something about it... I think there is some confusion here about what dimm and simm modules are.