Motherboard only reads 384mb of RAM NEED HELP!

StrangleHold

Staff member
PC eye I dont get you at all.

First you said the board ran SIMM memory.
No it doesnt.

Second you claim they didnt make double sided SIMM memory.
Yes they did.

Third you claim you didnt say it used Simm memory.
Yes you did, and even argued with me over it.

I feel like I'm talking to a, dont really know what I'm talking to.

PC eye

banned
Not actually. I think the only one confused is you. In fact the image here is of the typical 30pin and later 72pin "simms" you would see on an I286, I386, I486 boat anchor.

PC eye

banned
This is useless!

For you maybe but not for someone lwho is asking.

The memory you will be installing there, Briguy, will look like this.

The screens here simply show the difference between the older 30pin and 72pin simms to what PC100 sdram looks like since the specifications mention PC66/100 memory there.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Can you tell me why you even brought up SIMM memory?

Claimed they never made double sided Simm?

Argued that the board used it?

Then all of a sudden jump back on the SDRAM bandwagon?

Briguy

This is so strange. I can't boot with high or low density ram pc100 ecc registered ram. It just shows a dark screen. It does boot with pc133 ecc registered but only shows 384mb out of 3 sticks of 256mb. I don't know if my Bios is up to date for it. Can anyone check that please. I think my version is 9/11/2002. Other then that I don't know what to do. It says in the manual it can handle over 700mb if it is ecc registered and that's what I have.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with the memory controller?

Any ideas of what to do?

Briguy

This is weird. Crucial memory scanner thinks my board has 4 dimm slots. I have 3. I wonder if I flashed the wrong bios model.

PC eye

banned
The Crucial scan there may simply be going by the make not model information and likely newer chipset as well used on an updated P III or P4 model board that saw 4 slots rather then 3 instead. As far as seeing the correct bios update I came across that at the page here being right at the top of the boards listed. http://www.itox.com/pages/support/mbd/showcb60bx.htm

You'll note the date seen there is 11/09/2002 for that being apparently the last available. That contains the AWDFlash.exe tool and bin file you need to see copied to the root of C as well as on the floppy disk since the flash tool used needs to be on a dos type boot disk.

Briguy

The Crucial scan there may simply be going by the make not model information and likely newer chipset as well used on an updated P III or P4 model board that saw 4 slots rather then 3 instead. As far as seeing the correct bios update I came across that at the page here being right at the top of the boards listed. http://www.itox.com/pages/support/mbd/showcb60bx.htm

You'll note the date seen there is 11/09/2002 for that being apparently the last available. That contains the AWDFlash.exe tool and bin file you need to see copied to the root of C as well as on the floppy disk since the flash tool used needs to be on a dos type boot disk.

This website it one guy says to use 16x8 chips and not 16x4 or 32x4.
I wonder if that's my problem.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

PC eye

banned
As I was trying to explain earlier the older boards were extremely fussy about what memory was used. Unfortunately the only specifications seen at the one link are too sketchy to point out anything more then registered or unregistered in addition to 768mb of PC66 72pin, PC100 168pin as far as memory speed and pin count.

Briguy

As I was trying to explain earlier the older boards were extremely fussy about what memory was used. Unfortunately the only specifications seen at the one link are too sketchy to point out anything more then registered or unregistered in addition to 768mb of PC66 72pin, PC100 168pin as far as memory speed and pin count.

Phoenix Bios company must have an update for my bios because when I use there scan for my bios it says that it's out of date. Trouble is when I go to download it the connection times out. Ahhh I hate when you make some progress and then you run into another wall.

Here's the website. http://biosagentplus.com/?ref=29

PC eye

banned
The awdflash.exe sounded more like Award. But then you would often see Award-Phoenix listed on older boards at times. When the scan shows out of date it means you can no longer download any updated version due to the board being too old there.

When restarting the system hit the pause button to write down the bios version displayed on the post screen unless you have the logo splash screen enabled in the bios. That would then have to be turned off.

Compare that to the 11/9/02 release date of the "2A69KD4F.bin" number seen in the zip file for the last release there if any date information is also displayed. Generally you only see the revision number if anything however.

Briguy

The awdflash.exe sounded more like Award. But then you would often see Award-Phoenix listed on older boards at times. When the scan shows out of date it means you can no longer download any updated version due to the board being too old there.

When restarting the system hit the pause button to write down the bios version displayed on the post screen unless you have the logo splash screen enabled in the bios. That would then have to be turned off.

Compare that to the 11/9/02 release date of the "2A69KD4F.bin" number seen in the zip file for the last release there if any date information is also displayed. Generally you only see the revision number if anything however.

http://biosagentplus.com/results.php?ref=50xygqx&referral=29&PHPSESSID=vtokn739fp3s7ueko142ghv595

It clearly says the bios is bad and has a link to download it.

Bios: Award Modular BIOS V4.51PG

PC eye

banned
But as I figured it turned out to an older Award bios seen there. The "AWD" in the awdflash.exe name signifies Award there. Unfortunately you rushed too soon to use it before first seeing if any update would be needed.

Generally you only need a newer version when some problem is being seen or some support for a newer hardware is added in as well as a fix for an existing problem. The bios version listed there however is likely an older release then seeing the last two dated 11/9/02 found on the support page found earlier having seen corrections made in them.

Briguy

So I'm looking for pc100 256mb ecc registered ram sticks that are CHIP DENSITY: 16x8 (Low Density) CHIP CONFIGURATION: x72

I'm looking on ebay if anyone finds any out there let me know.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
On the old clunkers here I might add :p I simply ran PNY memory and never ran into any of this. If the board ran PC100 you simply couldn't run PC133 and so forth.

The specifications however when looking up information were a bit more detailed however then what was seen at the link there. But at this late date someone else may have a better idea on the 16x8 question you asked earlier.

For Kingston I ran into this, http://www.memorysuppliers.com/kin12pc8ns16.html?productid=kin12pc8ns16&channelid=BIZRA

Upon adding registered to the search that same page comes up a second time for that vendor. Kingston is a better brand obviously.

Briguy

On the old clunkers here I might add :p I simply ran PNY memory and never ran into any of this. If the board ran PC100 you simply couldn't run PC133 and so forth.

The specifications however when looking up information were a bit more detailed however then what was seen at the link there. But at this late date someone else may have a better idea on the 16x8 question you asked earlier.

For Kingston I ran into this, http://www.memorysuppliers.com/kin12pc8ns16.html?productid=kin12pc8ns16&channelid=BIZRA

Upon adding registered to the search that same page comes up a second time for that vendor. Kingston is a better brand obviously.

It clearly says that it supports 768mb of ram only if it's registered ram. Is that the same as ecc? http://www.itox.com/pages/support/mbd/cb60bx/CB61B.PDF

Anyway the ram that I bought says it for a server. Can that be a problem?

Last edited: