Motherboard quality issue

BEARCATJER

No problems :)

By the way, instead of replying to yourself, you can use "Edit" only if your post is still the last post in the thread (basically you have replied to yourself 3 times in this thread already)
Im not experienced in using forum message boards so im not sure what you mean by "edit". Hopefully i am using the correct area to reply . In any event I did run Combofix using the bleeping computers site and it ran all the way until it indicated it was preparing a "log report" and then it never got past that point so after 1/2 hour of waiting i closed it down. Should i try to run it again, or is the "log report" not all that important?

kimsland

This is what the Edit box looks like:
edit.gif

It is located at the bottom right of your posts
Do not Edit (and then add text) UNLESS (sorry for caps there) yours is the last post in the thread, of which it presently isn't.

Now combofix
Please run Combofix in Safe Mode (safe Mode accessed by pressing F8 key before windowws starts up)
If it still doesn't work, then run Combofix /U (please note one space after combofix)
Then download and run Combofix again (note: disregard any Antivirus warning during the scan, basically Combofix will remove malware found itself)

Yes the log attached (ie this button >
attach.gif
on the new reply toolbar) would be good :)

BEARCATJER

This is what the Edit box looks like:
edit.gif

It is located at the bottom right of your posts
Do not Edit (and then add text) UNLESS (sorry for caps there) yours is the last post in the thread, of which it presently isn't.

Now combofix
Please run Combofix in Safe Mode (safe Mode accessed by pressing F8 key before windowws starts up)
If it still doesn't work, then run Combofix /U (please note one space after combofix)
Then download and run Combofix again (note: disregard any Antivirus warning during the scan, basically Combofix will remove malware found itself)

Yes the log attached (ie this button >
attach.gif
on the new reply toolbar) would be good :)
thanks for the education. i see the edit area now . it isnt in every message, just some.

ok. i will run combofix in safe mode like you say. The Avira seems to work much more quickly than AVG but the updater is very slow. i guess it is because it is my first update and it goes back a long way.
Thanks so much for your help.

jasonn20

I forgot to mention that
PHP:
 i did format my hard[drive and reinstalled win xp
about 6 months ago when i got tired of the relatively slow speed of operation. It didnt run as fast as the Dell inspiron 8600 i had been using for 4 years. Nevertheless,
PHP:
the reinstall didnt really make any difference
that i have been able to see. Im not sure what you mean by an "active" anti virus. I use AVG 8.5 and have for past 2-3 years without any virus problems.
Thanks for your help.

Did you completey wipe the hard drive clean (reformat) and then reinstall windows or did you do a repair reinstall that keeps your files and settings?

If it was a fresh install and your performance has not changed have you installed the drivers that came with your pc? Asus Driver Disk

If so, are your slow speeds only Internet related??

If not, do you know how to get to your Device Manger, Task Manager, and System Configuration window??

Last edited:

BEARCATJER

Yes, it was a clean install and I did subsequently reinstall the asus drivers. Yes, my slow speeds are only internet related ...i think. im not a computer technical person so maybe i dont understand your question, but the tech support technician i bought this pc from ran a test and said my processor speed was good a 6mps or bps ..cant recall exactly the terminology he used.
Since i started getting help from members of this forum and following their advice my pc has really improved in speed and now seems to be running about as fast as i expected it should when i bought it...at least faster than the inspiron 8600 laptop i had before. Most recently in downloaded Firefox and it has also helped my pc run faster. When i think i have been living with the slow problem for almost a year, i wish i had started using this forum sooner! You people are GREAT!Thanks so much from an old man.

BEARCATJER

Well i have just uninstalled firefox and gone back to IE8 although i didnt want to. I couldnt figure out how to get FF to download files , programs etc and I guess i ran out of patience. I used their tech support knowledge base but doing what they said to do didnt work. Im hoping some expert on this forum will give me some suggestions so i can get downloads to work and reinstall FF because i liked it very much in all other respects and it definitely improved the speed of my processor for some reason i dont have the technical knowhow to understand.
Thanks for any help out there. I really appreciate it.e

BEARCATJER

Kimsland...i am continuing to use Outlook Express for my email. I dont see that FF has any email program with it. Am i missing it? How do i get an email icon on my locator bar like i had with IE8. i cant find one in FF. I had no problem getting FF to download just like when i download programs on IE, but when i tried some other program it just never started to download the program..period.
One other problem i have is that every time i open a site i use a lot ...like My Yahoo...i get a message at top of the site which says.."FF prevented this page from automatically reloading" The result is that every time i open such a page i have to sign in again instead of having it remember my password and automatically pass up the sign in process.
Thanks for your help.:)

kimsland

Firefox is an Internet Browser
Although you can get email too, just stick with Outlook Express, or create a "Live" account if you want another email or something
Note: Installing Firefox has nothing to do with your email

Here's what I'd suggest
Run IE Reset:

Download and re-install Firefox, then test again

BEARCATJER

I have uninstalled FF again . I cant get it to complete downloads, cant do any customization of my home page, cant get it to let me put an Outlook Express email icon on my home page etc. All of that notwithstanding, i really want to use FF instead of IE because it loads my program much more quickly than IE. I guess until i can work my way through the FF support area and learn how to accomplish what I want/need Ill continue using IE. I know the problem is my inadequate knowledge of computers,but i have been using them for 10 years, and have always been able to repair any problem i experienced on my own using windows support, forum help etc so Im sort of aggravated at myself for not being able to deal with such simple items in this FF setup and utilization.

Thanks for all your help anyway...especially you Kimsland.

kimsland

I have uninstalled FF again . I cant get it to complete downloads, cant do any customization of my home page, cant get it to let me put an Outlook Express email icon on my home page etc.
ok so that didn't work

The part about Outlook Express on your homepage, I don't quite understand :confused:
My homepage is presently google, what is your homepage exactly? (or the one that you want to customize)

Is your Outlook Express presently working? (without Firefox installed)
And when you do install Firefox what exactly goes wrong (or is the issue) with Outlook Express (note: a mail program that is totally unrelated to Firefox)

BEARCATJER

The homepage i usually use is My Yahoo. I also have Igoogle set up as well as My Excite,but use My Yahoo 99% of the time.
My Outlook Express is working fine and worked fine with FF,but with FF i dont get a mail icon on my home page so i can open email from it instead of having to go to my desktop to open email and i cant figure out how to add a MAIL icon using FF. i tried all the usual places in tools etc and there is no mail icon. This sounds like a small item,but it really isnt..at least for me. I also find with FF that it requires i sign in to my Home page every time i open it. It wont remember and automatically open my home page, or other sites even when i click on the "allow" box next to the message i get...FF prevented this page from automatically reloading"

I think i need to download FF again, but keep IE8 as my primary program until i can study FF and figure out how to get it to perform the few key items i havent figured out so far. Then I will be able to use FF which is my goal because it is just faster...my primary objective

So there really is no issue with the operation of OE with FF. Sorry if i made it seem like there is. Do you know how to find and put a mail icon on the customized tool bar of FF like IE allows you to do? Im not good at using keyboard shortcuts...prefer the use of icons, links etc like IE provides for.

Thanks . you are probably losing patience with my inexperience. Dont blame you..so am I.

kimsland

Oh, I've finally worked out what you mean

You can install Simple Mail addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5593

Or better yet, using Firefox:
Go to: http://webdesigns.ms11.net/getmail.html
Click on "Install"
Paste in this line to the "path to email": C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE
OK

#2:

The issue with not being able to save your details, is due to Firefox clearing out all cookies and temp files on restart (By the way this is a good feature)
You can stop Firefox deleting these temp files on close of Firefox by:
Open Firefox
Select "Tools' (on the toolbar menu) > Options > Privacy tab
Deselect any/all that you do not wish Firefox to delete on Exit
OK
Close Firefox
Open Firefox again
For now on when you close Firefox, nothing will be deleted (that you unticked)

BEARCATJER

Kimsland..well thanks to you i now have FF set up so it does remember my passwords and that part is working great. As for the Mail icon i downloaded and installed 3 separate mail addons and cant get any of them onto my browser page as a mail icon. Not sure why. Probably something simple.
Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it..

realmike15

was this computer ever fast or did it slow down over time? i would say 80% of computers with issues about them being slow, is purely a software issue. invest in a good AV like NOD32 Antivirus 4, and a good cleaner like CCleaner. also search google for a guide of things to stay away from on the internet. you really need to know what file types to just stay away from. lastly understand, that almost every program you install is going to try to install some sort of background task. unless it's your AV software, turn off any options that run automatic updates in the backgorund... they do nothing but bog down a machine. and those things that say they're going to run a background task to make productivity easier... bullsh*t just disable it.

take it from a guy that hasn't had a virus in probably 6-8 years.

Last edited:

BEARCATJER

mightmilk..thanks for the advice. This pc has been slower than i expected it would be since it was new. I recently spent some time on the phone with tech support of the company where i bought it and we made a number of changes to the bios including updating them altogether and it got somewhat faster. More recently several of the folks on this forum have helped me and it is operating much faster and better now,more like what i expected when i bought it. I have always run a number of utilities on a regular basis on all the pcs i have had over the years to keep them clean. I have triied many AV programs including Norton Systemworks and more recently AVG. I just switched to Avira and i definitely think it speeded up my pc.Also installed and ran CCleaner.
The only automatic updates i run are the Window updates and my AV program updates. Do you think the Windows updates would be a factor in the speed issue? I never thought of that before.
I also downloaded both FF and Chrome and both make my PC run faster than IE8, or at least the load much faster .I would like to stick with FF but need to work out a few little annoyances in re how it functions vs what Im used to with IE.
Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.

BEARCATJER

I havent opened up the box and looked through it, but i do use Belarc Advisor and it summarized in detail all of the hardware and software components of the computer and it has all the components i bought listed..