Motherboard's B1 and B2 Dimms defective??

Brett_md

Howdy all, I've got a motherboard/ram issue here. I'll try to be clear. Let me know if you need more input.

I just upgraded my pc with new mobo (Asrock B550 Pro4 (bios flashed to latest)), cpu (Ryzen 5600x) and ram (16gb (2x8gb) @ 3200). Upon completion it wouldn't boot. The pc had power and would turn on, but not boot up. After dinking around and looking for info online, I took out the B2 stick of ram and left in the A2, and it booted right up. So at first I thought the stick of ram that I had in B2 was doa. To be sure, I used each stick of ram in each dimm slot one at a time. I found that both sticks work by themselves in A1 and A2 dimms, but neither of them work in B1 or B2 dimms. Both sticks are both recognized in A1 and A2 together. So, ram in the A's work and boot fine, but if in the B's the pc won't boot at all.
I also read that sometimes dimms could have issues if the cpu had bent pins. I pulled the cpu out and double checked. No signs of bent/broken/missing pins.
So, I've currently got both sticks of ram installed in A1 and A2. It seems to be working.

1. Should I RMA the motherboard because it's defective? I don't currently need the B dimm slots, but if I end up wanting to use them in the future, I won't be able to.

Also, weird issue about dual channel...
2. My bios shows the 16gb of ram. Task manager shows 16gb of ram. CPU-Z shows 16gb of ram. BUT CPU-Z also says it's single channel though. ‍ (photos attached)

I've updated all known drivers. What are the odds that this board's B dimms are shot? Is it something I'm just not thinking of?

Thanks for any help/ideas.

bios2.jpgtask.jpgcpuz.jpgbios1.jpg

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
1627143220751.png

Doesn't look like your motherboard can run DDR4 at 3200 with all slots installed. Perhaps confirm if your ram is SR or DR (Single Rank or Double Rank) and see how fast you can set it to.

beers

Staff member
Should I RMA the motherboard because it's defective?
Probably, any damage around the traces? It's usually odd though since the IMC lives on the CPU. At least if you got an RMA you could theoretically rule out the specific board itself.
Also, weird issue about dual channel...
2. My bios shows the 16gb of ram. Task manager shows 16gb of ram. CPU-Z shows 16gb of ram. BUT CPU-Z also says it's single channel though. ‍ (photos attached)
That makes sense since you installed them both on the same channel.

Brett_md

Probably, any damage around the traces? It's usually odd though since the IMC lives on the CPU. At least if you got an RMA you could theoretically rule out the specific board itself.

That makes sense since you installed them both on the same channel.
True, I might as well RMA to make sure it's the board specifically.

Are you saying that A is a single channel and B is another single channel? I had it in my mind that each slot was it's own channel. So four dimms would be quad channel. Have I had it wrong all this time?

Thanks for your input!

beers

Staff member
Are you saying that A is a single channel and B is another single channel? I had it in my mind that each slot was it's own channel. So four dimms would be quad channel. Have I had it wrong all this time?
The A and B designations in BIOS refer to the channel that the slot is on ;)

I wouldn't fret about it though, channelization is a property of the memory controller and not the amount of DIMM slots specifically.

Brett_md

View attachment 10307

Doesn't look like your motherboard can run DDR4 at 3200 with all slots installed. Perhaps confirm if your ram is SR or DR (Single Rank or Double Rank) and see how fast you can set it to.
I may have mispoke, not sure. But I only have the two sticks of RAM. I tried to put them in A2 and B2 and it wouldn't boot. I tried single sticks in each individual dimm slot and the only ones that let the pc boot were A1 and A2. B1 and B2 do not boot. So I currently have both sticks in A1 and A2 because neither of the B dimms boot. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for you input.

Brett_md

The A and B designations in BIOS refer to the channel that the slot is on ;)

I wouldn't fret about it though, channelization is a property of the memory controller and not the amount of DIMM slots specifically.
Good to know. Lol. Thank you.

Brett_md

Probably should contact Asrock and see what they say. The behaviour you're describing is unusual.
Right on. Yeah, I contacted them first and they just told me to contact the seller for a return/replacement. So, I've reached out to Newegg and they'll do a replacement once the board is back in stock.
Thanks.

Brett_md

Just to put this thread to rest.
I bought a replacement motherboard (same make but micro version) and the RAM is running at full speed in dual channel, and booting fine. It was totally just the other board's B Dimms that had a problem. Returning it for refund. All is well. Thanks again everyone for the support.