Multiple Display 101 - Beta - Your inputs please

DirtyD86

banned
dualmonitor.jpg

tremmor

have to admit it was complete. i will say i use Ultramon. works fine with duel monitor samsung syncmasters 24".

sniperchang

have to admit it was complete. i will say i use Ultramon. works fine with duel monitor samsung syncmasters 24".

Ya I threw it together because I was bored at one point during summer time. During school however, I'm so busy I rarely come on the forum.

Sorry to people that had ask questions and I didn't answer 'em.

jcwilliams7705

i had a few questions though maybe you guys could help....I am using a hdtv for a primary monitor and a reg lcd monitor for secondary. I am having problems with the television about every 10-20min the tv will go into something like a sleep mode where the screen is backlit but no picture. I am running vistax64 with nvidia gtx 285. The signal from video card to tv I am using a DVI to HDMI converter. I have tried lowering the resolution and the hertz to the recommended factory lvl. One person even said that the resolutions settings for both monitors have to match that did not work as well. I can not find any more information as to what may be causing this. Also when the tv goes into sleep mode the sec monitor works just fine and does not shut off. If you guys have anything to offer that may help I would love to hear it.

Jamin43

banned
You should mention that you cannot dual-display if you have on-board graphics. (Unless you can use a splitter?)

Could you please clarify? What do you mean by on-board graphics? I wasn't aware of the dual screen capability with computers til I read this thread - and learned how it worked.

I"m interested in this function for a future computer build and want to have all my ducks in order.

awildgoose

I just thought I would post up my thanks for this.
I ran dual monitors a while ago but I had forgotten how I did it, but how skimmed over this and it reminded me.

yoyo1016

Very well done. I am in the process of figuring out how to upgrade to a second monitor on my PC. Very helpfull!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Could you please clarify? What do you mean by on-board graphics? I wasn't aware of the dual screen capability with computers til I read this thread - and learned how it worked.

I"m interested in this function for a future computer build and want to have all my ducks in order.

On-board graphics are integrated with the chipset of the motherboard (monitor port on the motherboard) and are on a lot of lower end consumer PC's. To dual-screen wit that, you would probably have to use a splitter.

blazin8556

you can use a monitor on your onboard graphics. to use another just add a card. if you use a splitter you will get a duplicate of what the other monitor is showing. it wouldn't ''extend'' you desktop. i have dual monitors on my radeon 4600 series card. before the drivers where installed it showed the exact same thing on both monitors. some boards have 2 ports onboard. a dvi and a vga. it is possible to do a dual setup with that as well. my card alone has dvi vga and hdmi. i am using the dvi as primary and the vga as secondary.

Aastii

VIP Member
I think that there is a piece of software that should be added to the guide called DisplayFusion

It is only compatible with Vista and 7 and it lets you change the background on each monitor, so you can have seperate backgrounds on each, one single one stretched over, you can add effects to wallpapers such as greyscale or sepia, it can resize images to fit, it basically lets you do just about anything with the backgrounds on your seperate monitors

sniperchang

An update is overdue. I'll do it after I get my new computer running (will be experimenting with ATI's eyefinity stuff). I'll be sure to add DisplayFusion. Thanks for the suggestion Aastii.

Aastii

VIP Member
http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

link to it

there is a free version which has all of the useful features (changing desktop on each screen, stretching desktop, resizing images, adding effects etc) and the paid version which does...other stuff :p I haven't looked into the paid version if I am totally honest, quite happy with the free one

Styrbaek

Hey.

I'm thinking about buying my 2nd XFX Radeon HD5770 and going Crossfire with 2 monitors. Would it be possible to connect to two GPU's with a crossfire brigde, connect a HDMI in one of the GPU's to a HDMI splitter with 1 input - 2 output. And then connect two monitors in the 2 output ports in the HDMI splitter?.. Just wondering :) thx.

sniperchang

Hey.

I'm thinking about buying my 2nd XFX Radeon HD5770 and going Crossfire with 2 monitors. Would it be possible to connect to two GPU's with a crossfire brigde, connect a HDMI in one of the GPU's to a HDMI splitter with 1 input - 2 output. And then connect two monitors in the 2 output ports in the HDMI splitter?.. Just wondering :) thx.

Not sure, but I replied to your thread.

Nice 101 Sniper :):good:

Thanks. It's getting old though. I'm still having trouble getting my new computer up and running (had to RMA a few things). Once I do, I'll be able to play with ATI and ATI's eyefinity stuff. Hopefully I'll have time to do an update before I go back to University.

Motorcharge

This thread has been very helpful since I started using 2 monitors a couple weeks ago. One thing though, anyone know how to use span mode on a 9800GT? I can't seem to find any options for it through windows display settings or the nvidia control panel.