Must disable LAN connection to get correct DL speed

Blandnuts

I'm paying for 50 Mbps DL and 5 Mbps UL. However, upon computer startup if I check the Local Area Connection Status the speed shows 10 Mbps. Using Speedtest.net shows the same. If I disable and then reinstate the connection the speed shows 1.0 Gbps. Speed test then shows ~56Mbps. I've tried Properties>Advanced>Speed & Duplex set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex (Initially was set to "Auto Negotiation"). After restart it returns back to 10 Mbps.

Is there something else I could try?

Drivers are up to date.

beers

Staff member
Sounds like some autonegotiation issues. Do you get the same behavior with another ethernet cable?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the correct driver installed? Have you tried using a dedicated ethernet card?

Blandnuts

Yes, checked again on drivers for MB and Modem (SBG6580). I don't have a dedicated card. Spare computer is packed up, and my only other "testers" are wireless.

Realtek PCe GBE Family Controller
Driver 7.46.610.2011

Cleared Event log to see if anything fishy shows up.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well the modem doesn't need a driver. What motherboard or brand and model of Pc do you have? Also what operating system do you run?

beers

Staff member
If you had a spare NIC you could throw it in there too to test. They exhibit this sort of behavior when failing.

Blandnuts

I looked for a new driver and couldn't find one.... I must be getting soft. Dled and installed.

Never had one fail so this is new to me (if it is failing). It didn't do this with my last ISP(few months ago), but electronics are unpredictable. I think I might pull out the spare computer and set it up if I can find the box ;).

Starting up today it was set 1 Gbps, even before the driver update.

thanks for the help.