My $800 budget gaming pc.. please help!

rahving

Looks very good so far. The only thing I would change though is getting 1 stick of 1GB memory instead of 2X512. Not a big deal, just something I would do if it didn't cost much more.

Motoxrdude

rahving said:
Looks very good so far. The only thing I would change though is getting 1 stick of 1GB memory instead of 2X512. Not a big deal, just something I would do if it didn't cost much more.
Eh, i wouldn't. If you get 2 sticks of 512mb, then in the future when you upgrade your ram, you will have one ram slot less.

Adam Murray

I already have the case I'm using...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119068

I don't think motoxrdude read what you typed correctly.. but I do agree that I should get a 1GB stick instead of two 512.. I was thinking about going ahead and getting 2GB of ram, but I might have to wait, so I will at least get the 1GB stick so it'll be easier to upgrade later.

Anyone else have any opinions on the parts before I order them? What about the graphics card & processor selections?

Motoxrdude

Adam Murray said:
I already have the case I'm using...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119068

I don't think motoxrdude read what you typed correctly.. but I do agree that I should get a 1GB stick instead of two 512.. I was thinking about going ahead and getting 2GB of ram, but I might have to wait, so I will at least get the 1GB stick so it'll be easier to upgrade later.

Anyone else have any opinions on the parts before I order them? What about the graphics card & processor selections?
Lol oops. I though he said do instead of don't. :p

fade2green514

get 2gb of ram... with a 7900gt you'll want the highest video quality possible.
with 256mb and 1gb of memory you won't be able to max out quake 4... ultra quality takes up a lot of memory.
if you don't really care too much about that, then that's fine too lol
i'd also go with AM2 or a conroe instead of a 939 processor.
another thing to note is that ddr memory is more expensive than ddr2 memory now, so if you plan on making this rig last you may want to get 2gb of memory anyways, because regular ddr memory will probably raise in price between now and when you'll want 2gb... this is another reason id get AM2 or a conroe.

Last edited:

new vega

qwerty int got 5|-|!7 on me

i would use an ati radeon X1800pro or bigger instead of the 7900

i have a 6600gt and my bros radeon 9550 keeps up pretty good with mine

ati is pulling ahead of nvidia

bigsaucybob

Definitley stick to the 7900GT, it is an excellent card and not very expensive. I would not suggest to change that card, you wont regret it.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Go with an Am2 board/processor and DDR2 memory, it'll allow you to upgrade in the future. Plus, now that the pricecut should be in affect, you can get the X2 3800+ for about 160 bucks.

Also that powersupply is a POS with only 22amps for 12v and a 20 pin connector. You'll need a better psu with a 24 pin conenctor.

Last edited:

Adam Murray

Thanks for all your advice guys...

fade2green- do you have any recommendations for an AM2 or Conroe mobo & cpu for about the same price as I have listed? A little more in price would be ok too...

liuliuboy recommended getting a X2 3800+ for about $160.. what do you think about that one?

I'll look for a better power supply, but if you guys know of any awesome ones within my price range.. please do tell! Thanks again!

ceewi1

VIP Member
Adam Murray said:
I'll look for a better power supply, but if you guys know of any awesome ones within my price range.. please do tell! Thanks again!
Take a look at the recommendations section of PSU101.

bball4life

rahving said:
Motoxrdude said:
Eh, i wouldn't. If you get 2 sticks of 512mb, then in the future when you upgrade your ram, you will have one ram slot less.
no offence but are you serious, 2x512mb would blow 1x1gb stick out of the water in performance, thanks to a little thing call dual channel.
Please think before you speak, and it doesnt matter about his slots with that mobo, you lose no performance on that mobo when you move to 4 ram slots being used

Last edited: