My hard drive space are getting smaller and smaller

diroga

So I scanned the computer with AVG.

All I found was 22 tracking cookies.

those wont download stuff too your harddrive.

did you use space monger? i suggest you do.

if avast and avg did not find any viruses then i doubt you have some malware running. never the less use a network monitor too see if there is a lot unwanted traffice. turn off every thing that connects to the internet and run netstat.

you could try installing zonealarm firewall to do t he monitoring. it will tell you if things are trying to come in and out of your computer.

speaking of witch, are you behind a router? if you are not behind a router you need to have a firewall. im not sure how good windows firewall is but it wouldnt hurt to get a non windows fire wall.

fila

those wont download stuff too your harddrive.

did you use space monger? i suggest you do.

if avast and avg did not find any viruses then i doubt you have some malware running. never the less use a network monitor too see if there is a lot unwanted traffice. turn off every thing that connects to the internet and run netstat.

you could try installing zonealarm firewall to do t he monitoring. it will tell you if things are trying to come in and out of your computer.

speaking of witch, are you behind a router? if you are not behind a router you need to have a firewall. im not sure how good windows firewall is but it wouldnt hurt to get a non windows fire wall.

I got Zonealarm already. But is Space Monger completely safe? I don't know what I can trust these days. :confused:

tlarkin

VIP Member
what version of windows is it? You probably have a log or temp file run amuck and is eating up space left and right. Not unheard of, and it happens somewhat frequently.

So, tell us what version of windows you are using so we can better assist you. I didn't see any mention of it previously.

fila

what version of windows is it? You probably have a log or temp file run amuck and is eating up space left and right. Not unheard of, and it happens somewhat frequently.

So, tell us what version of windows you are using so we can better assist you. I didn't see any mention of it previously.

Xp.

Now that I scanned with Spacemonger, I got a file on 1,2 gb that's hidden: hiberfil.sys and then another hidden file that's 400 mb big: pagefile.sys.

Another hidden map is a map named Recycler that's 750 mb big. This one seems to have some avi-files in it.

What is this?

tlarkin

VIP Member
ok open up an explorer window and click on view, folder options, and then make it show all hidden files.

Go into C:\Windows and delete all those hidden files that have all those strange characters and symbols in them, those are cached windows updates and are no longer needed.

Then go into C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local settings\temp and delete everything from there

How does your HD space look now?

fila

ok open up an explorer window and click on view, folder options, and then make it show all hidden files.

Go into C:\Windows and delete all those hidden files that have all those strange characters and symbols in them, those are cached windows updates and are no longer needed.

Then go into C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local settings\temp and delete everything from there

How does your HD space look now?

Man, do you mean those maps that are named something like "$NtUninstallKB91889$" or what?

fila

But I got a map that's pretty big and it's FULL of wallpapers, music and movies, and I know I don't keep any of that shit on this hard drive.

But I can't find it on the hard drive, I just see it on Spacemongerm the map's name is Recycles. Somebody know what this is?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Did you look under the local settings folder? All those temp files can go too, they are temp files put there by installers and other bloated apps that need to page in/out to those resources when installing or sometimes uninstalling. If something goes wrong it can eat away at HD space.

fila

Did you look under the local settings folder? All those temp files can go too, they are temp files put there by installers and other bloated apps that need to page in/out to those resources when installing or sometimes uninstalling. If something goes wrong it can eat away at HD space.

That folder was empty.

tlarkin

VIP Member
check all the local settings folders under your user account and the one that is under documents and settings

royalmarine

download ccleaner.

run it. very easy setup. click analysise.

remove everything it finds.

whats your page file allowance set to?

also, since its a small harddrive, would i assume its an oldish computer?
how much ram does it have?
your harddrive could be using some of this space as virtual memory to pick up the slack of your ram.

fila

download ccleaner.

run it. very easy setup. click analysise.

remove everything it finds.

whats your page file allowance set to?

also, since its a small harddrive, would i assume its an oldish computer?
how much ram does it have?
your harddrive could be using some of this space as virtual memory to pick up the slack of your ram.

About 3 years old, got 1,2 gb ram.

But - I think, and only think, the problem was the map I found with Spacemonger. I think someone been hiding their shit in my computer.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The recyclebin stores deleted files until you empty it. I hate to do it but
wikipedia said:
Prior to Windows Vista, the default configuration of the Recycle Bin was to hold 10% of the total capacity of the host hard disk drive. For example, on a hard drive with a capacity of 20 gigabytes, the Recycle Bin will hold up to 2 gigabytes. If the Recycle Bin fills up to maximum capacity, the oldest files will be deleted in order to accommodate the newly deleted files. If a file is too large for the Recycle Bin, the user will be prompted to permanently delete the file instead. The maximum possible size of the Recycle Bin is 3.99 gigabytes in all versions of Windows except Vista. In Vista, the maximum is 10% for drives up to 40GB. Above that, the maximum is 4GB plus 5% of the capacity above 40GB

fila

So the recycle map wadn't someone else's map that rooted my comp??

Well seems like I still got the problem, the space are getting smaller again. :/