My hard drive space are getting smaller and smaller

tlarkin

VIP Member
OK, I was trying to avoid the command line in windows but I think we may need to take a peek to see what is going on.

Go to start > run > then type cmd and hit enter. Once in the command line type the following code, or just copy/paste it

Code:
DIRUSE /M /q:1.5 /* c:\

It may take a while to fully run but it will display all disk usage at the directory level of everything over 1.5 megabytes, so it should not deal with all the small files on your computer. Report back the results.

fila

OK, I was trying to avoid the command line in windows but I think we may need to take a peek to see what is going on.

Go to start > run > then type cmd and hit enter. Once in the command line type the following code, or just copy/paste it

Code:
DIRUSE /M /q:1.5 /* c:\

It may take a while to fully run but it will display all disk usage at the directory level of everything over 1.5 megabytes, so it should not deal with all the small files on your computer. Report back the results.

I can't run it it says this:

DIRUSE is not an intern commando, extern commando, program or commandofile.

tlarkin

VIP Member
well some could be used for virtual memory and temp files and other stuff, so if its close then I would say its right. How big is your HD?

Vipernitrox

i havent worked with the diruse command before but can't you keep on going with it.
i mean use it like this: DIRUSE /M /q:1.5 /* c:\documents and settings
and keep on going deeper?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Type DIRUSE /?

the /* switch scans all sub directories of the specified path.

It is basically windows version of du in BASH.

tlarkin

VIP Member
7180 mb in documents and settings
1693 mb in programs
353 in recycler
164 in system volume information
2316 in windows

Well, you have 7 gigs of data in your documents and settings folder, which hold all your home directory information and media data. Also, the 2.3 gigs in windows seems a bit high as well. I would sift through your documents and settings folder and delete all old user accounts that no longer exist, clean out all temp files, delete all un wanted music and videos and other media that you don't want. remember to show hidden files too, as a lot of temp files and application data from uninstalls may be present.

fila

But I don't understand, how can something in my document and folder settings eat space without I am doing something?

fila

Shit, yesterday the space was 1,80 gb. Now it's on 80 mb, and I still don't know what freakin eats the hd space. I'm getting kinda frustrated now!

EDIT: The system volume information have increased with 1,5gb, documents and setting ~100mb and recycler with around 300 mb. What is this system map for some kinda thing?

Last edited:

G25r8cer

I may have missed this earlier but, what os are you running? You should disable system restore and then enable it and make a restore point. System Restore takes up to 12% of a hdd or more. By disabling it, it deletes all the old system restore points but, dont leave it disabled as that isnt very smart.

fila

Do you have system restore enabled? It can eat up HD space. I would recommend you disable it.

How do I do that?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Let's hope that's the problem. :)
EDIT2: Holy mother the hd space jumped +1.40 gb!

Last edited:

G25r8cer

How do I do that?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Let's hope that's the problem. :)
EDIT2: Holy mother the hd space jumped +1.40 gb!

In vista go to your hard drive right click and click properties. Then click Disk Cleanup and click the More Options tab and press cleanup under the Sytem Restore Tab.