My New Computer Concept

XByteComputers

My name is Steven. I run my own business that builds computers. As owner of the business I am expected to come up with new ideas for new computer systems to keep my business going. I have drawn up an idea for a new system that aims at gamers and young adults.

Here is the system design. I am going to build a computer that will run all new computer games, 2-3GB RAM, 320-500GB HD, GeForce 8500GT or ATI HD 2600 w/ HDMI output, AMD Athlon FX or Intel Core 2. The case is designed as a slim case to fit in with your home theater setup and it is designed to be connected to your TV or HDTV using component cables or an HDMI cable. It also will have a built in 2.4Ghz sensor for a wireless mouse and keyboard to it so that you can still use it for its computer functionality(i.e: Internet, Productivity,etc) Think of it as a computer that doubles as a gaming console.

It will run a highly modified version of Windows XP MCE or a highly modified version of Vista Basic(for DX10 support) so that it can be controlled with the included XBox 360 wired controller and will run games with little start time from the OS and computer.

Here is what I need to know? What would be a good name for it, and who would purchase one, and any further suggestions.

Thanks for the support and I look forward being a valued member of this community.

littleblackxj

You can already plug in a xbox 360 controller into a computer and have it work with vista. As far as a hacked version of vista to boot only the essential components of the OS would be very difficult, and illegal. Since vista is close-sourced you can't modify any programs because you don't have the source code. You could just make it so some services don't get booted with vista, but you would then need to create your own window-manager and an app to install games and create an icon for them. This does sound easy, but believe me, it's not.

I do like your idea of a slim tower which would be awesome to have.

Hope this helps.

XByteComputers

As far as controller support, I meant to say that the computer could be controlled by either a mouse or the 360 controller and double as the game pads. Even play multi-player games with more than one controller plugged in. I already developed the software to control the computer with the controller and when I say modified OS, I didn't mean editing M$ code, I meant what you suggested. Thanks for the speedy response. All suggestions are welcomed, thanks for your support.

littleblackxj

No problem. I have no idea of how you would make it split screen. The only thing that i could think of is either a.) creating a virtual machine with an accelerated x server and use that to run, or b.) creating two x servers within windows xserver and some how run two instances of the game or at least the game engine and have it output to the seperate xserver, and tying all that into one window-manager.

Needless to say, what you need to do is not taught in high-school, lol.

EDIT: Or just put a xbox 360 inside a computer and plug it into a tv tuner card. Then create a program that automatically runs the 360 fullscreen.

nexolus

I'm not sure if that's really a "concept." Like me saying i'm going to put up a hammock in between two trees that is slim isn't really a concept, but whatever floats your boat.

And including the 2.4GHz adapter might not be enough. Many wireless devices are RF or Bluetooth, so maybe you should see what the customer wants first. Also those 8 series cards aren't THAT slim, so you will have to devise a way to fit that in as well.

XByteComputers

Oh, i gotcha there littleblackxj, just caught me off guard by what you were talking about, my bad. The slim case I have uses a PCI-e riser card that allows me to use full size PCI-e cards in the case. Also, the adapter could wait for the customer to decide as well. Maybe split screen capability isnt that good of an idea anyways, just a thought. Thanks for the feedback keep it coming.

pies

What if you included a wireless card for internet as well.
And maybe going with an 8800 or 8600 instead of the 8500 to add a little more edge just a suggestion.
I really like the idea though how much you thinking of pricing them at if you don't mind sharing with us.
-pies

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Ditto. An 8500 isn't going to run any of the games well at all. I'd go with an 8600GT, or even an 8600GTX if you can. 8800, if you can fit it in the small case. Make sure you have good airflow too.

XByteComputers

What does everyone think of the ATI 2600XT. Core clock runs at 800MHz, memory clock at 1400MHz, also supports HD and DX10. I found a nice 8600GT to put in it but the memory clock is 1350MHz and the core clock is 568MHz. Price coming soon for the computer.

XByteComputers

The final price of the computer including assembly, testing, etc, with the OS would be $1299.

Here are the specs:

Slim HTPC Case Gaming Case
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.4GHz
G.Skill DDR2 800 2GB
500GB SATA Hard Drive
ATI 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 with HDMI Output
SATA DVD±RW with Labelflash
Windows Vista Home Premium or Basic(Customer Choice) for DX10 gaming

Let me know what you think

PabloTeK

The problem may be with the heat outputted by those components; the ATi card may cause problems in a confined space and compounded with a CPU that's overclocked it'll be like a kiln in a golf ball. Plus the PSU's supplied with cases may not be enough to power a 2600.

XByteComputers

The problem may be with the heat outputted by those components; the ATi card may cause problems in a confined space and compounded with a CPU that's overclocked it'll be like a kiln in a golf ball. Plus the PSU's supplied with cases may not be enough to power a 2600.

Forgot to mention that the PSU is a standard ATX PSU. It is 500Watt Minimum depending on the configuration. Also, the slim case is set up with enough cooling to support the components. It has two silent fans on the sides and one silent fan on the front of the case.

XByteComputers

I like it and it is a little cheaper than the previous board and has HD audio. Nice and i like MSI too, i just might use that one.

Only drawback is the 4GB support instead of 8GB support, but who is really gonna use that much memory.