my pc build

harry18

yo, these are the parts ive chosen for the pc im building, are they all ok?

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra Price: £79.95 (Might aswell get an SLI MoBo)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice) Price: £88.95

Video Card: XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT Price: £99.95

CDRW/DVD Combo Drive: Sony CRX320E Price: £22.55

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 200 GB Price: £49.25

RAM: Corsair 1GB DDR Value Select Price: £67.95

Power Supply: Antec TruePower 430W PSU Price: £54.95

Case: Antec SLK3000B Midi Tower Case Price: £28.95

TheChef

You are taking into account in the pricing Windows XP right? The computer looks very nice otherwise, except you say that you might as well get an SLI mobo, however the one you chose is not. Do you want a reccomendation for an SLI motherboard or do you like the one you have?

Geoff

VIP Member
i agree with matrix, you will need to upgrade eventually, so you can just get another 6600gt if you get the sli motherboard.

SirJay

The currency converter told me that £1000 is approx $1210.

If I have done my math right, the total is £492.50, which would be about $600.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Do note that i wouldnt reccomend a SLI setup regardless. Games are still too CPU bound to really benifit from SLI and no game developement company designs games for the SLI crowd (which may or may not be unfortunate)

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well for starters, it's your money (so dont say i tried to force anything on ya :p) but on a more serious note, if you get a 6800GT for instance (less than the cost of 2x6600GT+SLI board) you have the option of either 6800GT+NF4U which will give you better performance now and with some hacking you can get the NF4U-->SLI to work (if you pick your boards out well) or even if you get 6800GT+NF4SLI you have the SLI option in the future ... if you plan on getting two 6600GTs you might as well grab a 6800GT now :)

harry18

yo, i got some questions:
will the 430w psu i choose be eneugh for all the stuff i got, and whats a good cheap sound card, thats compatable with all our stuff??????

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Odds are you wont need one (and i would give the onboard a chance unless you have a specific reason already in mind for getting a dedicated soundcard) ... if it fails to impress you then get a standlone soundcard (you can get a 'simple' baseline soundcard like the Audigy2 for pretty cheap) :)