my pc build

skidude

I have onboard audio and I am happy with it, onboard is getting better and better as time goes on, but so do regular sound cards. What it kinda boils down to here is if your are a serious audio guy, then get a soundcard, but if you dont really care and you just want it to produce audible and coherent sounds, then just save your money and stick with onboard.

X24

yes, onboard works fine, with a decent pair of headphones or earbuds, you won't notice much of a difference between onboard or dedicated sound, unless u are one of those guys that works with music.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Bingo: there's essentially four classes of soundcards:
1. The baseline AC97 style audio ... featured on most motherboard... simple, straightforward sound capabilities
2. The 24bit 96Hz class sound (whether it be via say a Soundblaster Audigy2 or a highend onboard audio) ... good for 99% of users
3. The Soundblaster X-Fi ... for high-end-almost-professional-audio people
4. Studio quality soundcards :)

skidude

Its usually better to get them seperatley, since the ones in the case arent really that good. Read PSU 101 to find out how to spot a good one.

34erd

Give me a reason why they are good :p

Usualy they have low amperage even if they have like 680 watts of power, also you dont know the exact specifications of the PSU so..yeah

Migiscrap

They're better cos theyre cheap. Basically, will that case (with the built in PSU) work with the stuff harry18 has chosen (I am building a PC of similar spec).

34erd

Yes, because that PSU might only have 18A on +12V rail. So if your running a PCI-E crad that needs a separtate power from the PSU, (that PSU might not even have a molex conector) or if try overclocking, than your computer may eraticly start restarting, or not even turn on. Since there are no specs for the PSU I really would get another one. Also it is an OEM no-name PSU so it might do crappy stuff anyways...In other words DO NOT USE IT.