Myspace security

PohTayToez

Hello

It took me ages to find this old post!! My daughter showed me something on her myspace account where a friend posted a message with a link to something called stalkertrack. Apparently this allows people to check who has been looking at their myspace profiles.

The site claims to:

Track viewers who viewed your page and give you their: Picture, Username, Link to their page, and when (date) they viewed your page! The tracker is also invisible to all your visitors, and it's very easy to install, a simple copy and paste.

Has anyone heard of this or know if it works?

Hannah

ANYSITE that asks for your username and password to Myspace will be a scam. They get your logon information, and then start spamming posts and messages to people on your friends list advertising junk products.

Twist86

Nope like everyone said just set it to private so she has to add friends.

My sister recently had her 12 year old daughter ask to make a myspace profile since all her friends have one so she asked me to bug her system while she was at school.
I got mine from some local "geek" parents but you can buy programs like Spector Pro which will pretty much tell you EVERYTHING she does online...every site she visits every search she does everything and will email it to you.
With all the pedophiles,predators and vulgar idiots on the internet anymore its better to be safe then sorry.

bluedishwasher

if she entered her birth age as under 18 then her profile is automatically private due to new policy, and its set to be blocked to anyone but her friends as standard anyway, so the only way people can view her space is if they are on her friends list which first requires her approval and i'm pretty sure shes wise enough not to accept someone she doesn't know. theres no way of knowing who has been looking at her space but its fairly easy to keep un-wanteds out. as well as this if someone does slip through the cracks theres hardly enough information to track her down or anything and kids today know not to become best friends with someone they dont know who is pushing them to meet in real life etc, so id say shes safe on myspace as long as she isn't a dimwit :)

hannahw

Hi

I know that it is possible for people under 18 to have their profiles viewed because my daughter is able to look do it. In fact she can visit the profiles of complete strangers just by searching for particular words e.g. mutual interests. I'm assuming that these people must have set their profiles to a public setting. Also someone on here said they can easily bypass a private setting...

Can anyone tell me more about statsync? What information does it give about the people that have visited the profile?

How far back can you check visitors? The site says you can check where the person is from... Would this be where they were when they visited the profile or where they were when they originally registered their own profile?

I'm probably being a bit paranoid here but I just want to keep things as safe as possible.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
http://salem-news.com/articles/may222007/myspace_ags_52207.php

Interesting article you may want to read

No, there is still no way to track that information. If it becomes an issue with how you want to be a parent you can always block access to that site with a decent and inexpensive router. If your profile is set to private no one can view it unless they are exploiting the website's security.

There is a whole read me and FAQ section in myspace about this type of thing and there are ways to protect yourself. I suggest you read that material they publish about doing things like that.

The most important thing is to educate yourself and your children on the matter, because with social engineering there is almost always a way around any security system and people will always have the ability to break in.

hannahw

Thanks tlarkin

That link you gave me doesn't open properly. What info does that statsync site provide about visitors?