Need A New Camera

skidude

Alright guys, here's my situation. I'm not very experienced with cameras and I don't really know the ins and outs of one. I need a camera before I go off to college, and I want a good one which is able to capture the most amount of detail possible. I want to be able to take some really dramatic outdoor nature pictures, since that's what I love the most. I'm leaning towards one of the point-and-shoot cameras due to my budget (around $300) and lack of experience with cameras. I've looked around and came down to 2 choices, I just want opinions on which is better. Suggestions for different cameras are also welcome!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830180146

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113076

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Yeah, definatly go for that if you can afford it, if not, go with the Kodak I listed, cant go wrong with either one.
and if you dont want anything as "big" as those two, go with the Nikon you posted ;).

MBGraphics

VIP Member
Im not sure of all of them, but the lense quality is better especially throughout the zoom range. The burst mode is better, has a few more features i believe.
Definatly worth it for the few extra dollars ;)

skidude

I think im gonna buy one tonight. Maybe with a new camera I might have actually a glimmer of hope to win a photo tourney :p

Geoff

VIP Member
I think im gonna buy one tonight. Maybe with a new camera I might have actually a glimmer of hope to win a photo tourney :p
To give you an idea of what the S3 IS can do, which is basically identical except for being 6MP vs 8MP, here are some sample pictures:

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

YellowFlowerCloseup.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

All of those are unedited as well.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
haha! It's an excellent camera, it has lots of manual options to tweak so if you want to move up to a DSLR, then you can mess around with the settings on the S5 as it is an SLR-Like camera.

Geoff

VIP Member
Absolutely, the camera lasts MUCH, MUCH longer with Ni-MH batteries. 2700mAh is pretty good IIRC, I believe the ones I use are around that as well. However $45 is a lot of money, I bought some Energizer's at Target for around $20-$30. Newegg seems to be overpriced when it comes to batteries.

Irishwhistle

Yeah I can do $315. I like that camera, plus I've heard good things about Canon. Any reason why it's better than the Nikon or the Kodak?

I know you already bought the Canon, but I've found that Canon point and shoots (which is what you got) are better than Nikon or Kodak point and shoots... I especially hate some of the Kodak models. And then I prefer Nikon DSLRs over Canon DSLRs. Of course Nikon and Canon are BOTH really good so it's really a matter of preference... now Kodak is another story.

skidude

I've heard from review websites and from people I know who like photography that Nikon are an amazing company.