Need help buying a good gaming computer. :)

joh06937

Thanks Drenlin :D I got it with the help of my father. Was a pain in the ass though!

My next question involves a 1394 cable. I'm at work so I havent really looked it up yet but all the videos so far that I've watched and read the steps to don't really show what to do with this thing? I can look it up in the mobo manual where it goes but what does this cable do?

Can I just hide it somewhere or do I need to plug it in?

if you don't have any devices that use it, you can leave it unplugged. i always do since i don't want cables running all over the place.

TelephotoBat

Thanks guys!

About my Corsair cooler, is there a video guide somewhere for it? I'm at work and did a quick scan of the Corsair forums, and found a LOT of topics on the H50. But I'm using the CWCH50. Does this refer to the same thing, or are they both pretty much the same installation setup?

Thanks again, guys. Hard to look this up at work during my breaks. :\ I'd like to know what I'm doing with this before I get home, and so far the only helpful manuals have been the motherboard and computer case. The rest are grainy and I can't understand the installation pictures.

>.o

Edit: Looking a bit harder it seems they're the same. If I'm wrong on this just correct me, but if they are the same I should do fine on the corsair forums.

If you have any suggestions for me, feel free to suggest! Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

joh06937

i believe they are the same thing, so yes, they should have the same installation steps. what do you still have left to do?

TelephotoBat

Sorry, just got home from work :)

Question about #1. The heat sink is on my processor right now, and even though it's unlatched it's pretty tight on the processor. It doesn't want to come off without some force, which I'm kind of scared to do. Any suggestions?

1.) Take the heat sink off my CPU and install the Corsair one. Gonna look up if I need thermo compound for it.

2.) Hook up the case fans?

3.) Hook up the power supply and then connect my GFX card to it.

Edit: We got it off. The suction of the already applied thermal compound kinda made it stuck. Anyhoo, is this a good order to go in?

Last edited:

joh06937

do you have the 90% rubbing alcohol? you'll also need some (at least this is what i use) lint-free coffee filters. cleaning the cpu is a pretty important part of upgrading a heatsink.

joh06937

be sure the filter is lint free.

dip the filter in a small pool of the alcohol. don't get it too wet, you want it to just absorb the alcohol without it dripping at all. then rub the top, ensuring you clean everything off. make sure you avoid touching the pins as best you can. if you need a visual example, try youtube.

TelephotoBat

SoI'm finishing up my heat sink. We plugged the fan into the correct slot, but the pump we're having problems with. The video says plug it in by any near a PCI-E slot, but every receptor for it has 4 pins, while the plug is a 3pin. Is it ok to put a 3pin into a 4pin?

The 4pin slots we can plug the pump into are:

OPT_FAN2
CHA FAN3
PWR_FAN

I've read that all plugs have specific slots, and none of the holes of other wires will match up to the pins of something they're not supposed to fit in to, but does this apply to the pump?

Where do I plug the pump? D:

PS - After this I have to plug in the other 2 fans in my case, so I need to use some fan slots for those, too.

joh06937

it shouldn't matter where you plug it in. 3 pins will work in 4 pin slots. but don't you have a cpu fan connector you can plug it into?

TelephotoBat

I plugged the fan into the CPU Fan slot. Should I plug the pump in there, and plug the actual Fan into a DIFFERENT slot? The video said plug the fan into the CPU Fan slot, and then said 'Plug the Pump into the pins by the PCI-E slot'.

Also, the fans that came with the case, can those 3 go into the rest of the optional fan pins? Do they need to be in specific ones?

Thanks a lot man, you're saving me so much guess work and time. XD

joh06937

oh i forgot about the fan. i'd plug it into the ibe that is closest.

are all of the case fans 3 pin ones?

TelephotoBat

Nope, actually I just looked at the wires for them. I assumed they were normal pinned receptors, but they're not.

They're Red, Black, White, and Yellow cables leading to two clear plastic plugs, one with bigger pins inside the plug, and the other with receptor holes inside.

Do these fans go strait to the power supply? I have 3 of these fans with the case, all with this setup.

Gonna read my case manual and see what they say. This slipped my mind. :\

Thanks again man.

Edit: Eh, my manual says nothing about where the wires go, just how to remove/add fans.

Edit2: Just looked at the wiring for the fans, in the middle of the 'wires' is a connect that if I disconnect it it gives me a 3 hole-pin connecter. Do I unplug the big plugs from that connector and just use the 3 hole pin receptor into the ibe slots? Sorry if my lingo is wacky :\ I'm having a hard time describing this stuff.

Last edited:

joh06937

those are molex plugs. is your power supply modular? either way, there should be some cables with connectors similar to the fan ones. you can plug the fans into those. you should be fine with all three plugged into the same one.

TelephotoBat

Haven't even looked at the power supply yet hahah. Do the case fans get plugged directly into the power supply instead of the mobo? I'll go open it now.

Edit: For that matter, what needs to be plugged into the power supply?

So far I have:
Fans
GFX Card
Mobo

Anything else?

Last edited: