Need help buying a good gaming computer. :)

TelephotoBat

Ok I've had guests over and haven't put in the supply yet. There's 3 cables I haven't really used yet in my chasis, and I'm wondering what they do.

There's a red SATA cable that my manual says it's used for the front panel SATA connector. MAkes sense.

Do I plug this one into the red SATA slots on my mobo that I've plugged my HDD and DVD drive into?

Also, there's two blue USB cables I think work with the two blue USB slots in my front panel (Is this USB 3.0?) Where exactly do these connect to? There's no real USB slot for these on my mobo. Can I just hide them in my chasis?

I'm trying to tidy up a bit with my already plugged in wires before I go to plugging in the power cables. Thanks a lot!

TelephotoBat

Ok, completely editing this post XD I got my PSU in nice and well, but I'm having problems with the cables :\ The only one that SEEMS to match up is the big 24-pin one.

There's the other one on the Mobo, which is a 8 slot with 4 covered. My power supply came with quite a few 6 pins with 2 hanging off of it and an 8 pin. The 8 pin doesn't match up, but can I add the 2 pin to the 6 pin to fit the 8 pin I need?

Also, my GFX card came with it's own Yellow/Black cables like the ones above. Do I use these instead of the ones provided by the PSU?

Been stuck trying to figure this out for a while, heh.

Last edited:

joh06937

okay, the hdd and dvd drive will each have something on the back of the physical devices for the sata cable. one of those cables should cover both of those. the 6+2 pin cables are for pci-e cards (mainly graphics cards). the cpu one (the 8 pin one with 4 covered) should either have a 4 pin or a 4+4 pin cable for it. i doubt it will be an 8 pin. which power supply do you have (model please)? if you check the manual for the power supply there should be a bunch of pictures and names. one of them should say something about the cpu.

Last edited:

TelephotoBat

Edit: Ok, entered BIOS :D

Just figuring out what I need to change around.

CDRom first... HDD second...

Last edited:

joh06937

you shouldn't have to do any messing around with the bios until you want to overclock. the only thing you might want to do is set the disc drive as the first boot device and the hard drive as the second.

does the computer post and everything? do you have the os disc in?

TelephotoBat

Does it post? No clue what that is. I have the OS disk with me, not in yet. Think I'm done with Bios, only thing I did was put CDRom first.

TelephotoBat

Thank you so much man :D Sorry this 'Thank You' is a few minutes late (Dog needed attention, 12 hours have been spent putting this thing together >.<).

THANK YOU!

You helped me out during my most dreaded moments :( I'll be installing crap for the rest of the night. You have my eternal gratitude. I hit the power on button and was expecting it to smolder or not start at all. . . I'm so happy :D

Thanks!

PS - Thanks for putting up with my idiotic questions. If I have any more I'll definitely post them in this topic :) Just incase something happens.

And I'll see you around on the boards :D So friendly here!

TelephotoBat

Actually, I do have one. . .

Where do I go to check to make sure my fans and cooler/comp temp are doing ok?

What should I look for in terms of comp temp idle? While running games?

Thanks again man :) Really, couldn't have done it without everyone who's helped me.

joh06937

for your gpu, you should be able to monitor temps from its control panel, either the ati one or the nvidia one, depending on what card you have. for the cpu, i like to use speedfan for my temps. when you get everything installed, download the latest speedfan and install it.

TelephotoBat

Dude, I love you.

Went to systemrequirementslab.com after installing drivers and I pass SC2 and Crysis with flying colors.

I. . . Don't want to go to work tomorrow. :(