Need help on picking laptop under $700

boots_4SW

Need help on picking laptop around $800

Hey i know theres a thread on this same page with the same question but he never answered his. I'mlooking for one around $800 I would be using it for
-internet (mostly email and surfing the web) at school, friends houses, and using it when he travels.
-microsoft word
-music downloads/movies (has to be good quality).
-gameing (cs 1.6 and AA doesn't have to be high settings).

I was looking on dell's website and found a inspiron 6000 with...Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB), 512 ram, 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive, 40 gb hard drive, 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics, Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps) =$873.

Last edited:

alanuofm

VIP Member
thats an intel celeron processor so no it is not better. what are the specs on the 600m ie. processor. for 753 i got a pentium M 1.6 w/ 64 mb radeon 9000 which is much better than that 6000.

boots_4SW

Ah..I didn't realize that. the specs are Celeron® M Processor 350(1.30 GHz/400MHz FSB) 14.1-in XGA 32MB Video.

Edit: heres a much better deal then both of those... inspiron 6000 with...Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB), 512 ram, 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive, 40gb hard drive, ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory™ = $749. I'm going to consider this more then the other inspiron 6000 I was looking at... So alanuofm if you could get coupon codes for this that would be awesome. If not then it's cool, it's a bonus if you do.

Last edited:

boots_4SW

Hmm didn't you say that end today (wednesday)? Just let me know by emailing them or you can post on this thread...

boots_4SW

hey mmorlino I was lookin at that laptop about 5 months ago... I was thinking about geting it. Alanuofm any luck on the coupon codes?

mmorlino

boots_4SW said:
hey mmorlino I was lookin at that laptop about 5 months ago... I was thinking about geting it. Alanuofm any luck on the coupon codes?

Boots,

Nah - I tried looking up some coupon codes, but I hear that NewEgg is pretty stingey (sp?) about them... I figure that their prices are already way below retail, plus we're lucky to get the $50 mail-in rebate!

As soon as I get it I'm going to add another 256MB memory stick to make it faster. They had the same exact laptop for $50 more (well, $100 more w/ the rebate), the only difference was that it had 512MB instead of 256MB. But, another stick would only cost about $25 on NewEgg, so I think I'm going to go that route.

As soon as I get it I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really excited!

Yours in Christ,
~Molly~
http://www.hcdoxies.morlinos.com

boots_4SW

Oh I didn't mean to ask you for the coupon codes... I was asking alanuofm beacsue previously (sp?) he said he could possibly get some after the rebates went off.

Last edited:

alanuofm

VIP Member
ok bout. what type of laptop are you looking for? fps/rpg gaming, movies, burning movies? what do you plan to do with the laptop and what is your budget? i'll see what i can pull.

boots_4SW

alanuofm said:
ok bout. what type of laptop are you looking for? fps/rpg gaming, movies, burning movies? what do you plan to do with the laptop and what is your budget? i'll see what i can pull.

ok I want a dell inspiron 6000. I'm going to be gaming on it, watching movies, email, internet, word and music downloads. I will bring it to school and friends houses. I'm also going to bring it with me when I travel (got a better wireless card ;) ) The laptop is at $1048 right now. Thats over my budget... Also how soon to these coupons have to be used? Do they expire? If I don't use them right away can someone use them before me?

Last edited:

alanuofm

VIP Member
boots_4SW said:
ok I want a dell inspiron 6000. I'm going to be gaming on it, watching movies, email, internet, word and music downloads. I will bring it to school and friends houses. I'm also going to bring it with me when I travel (got a better wireless card ;) ) The laptop is at $1048 right now. Thats over my budget... Also how soon to these coupons have to be used? Do they expire? If I don't use them right away can someone use them before me?

excuse my delay i am eating and looking at the same time. gimme a min

alanuofm

VIP Member
ok heres the first solution. i am going to first try to stick to your 700$ computer budget.

inspiron 600m
pentium M 1.6 ghz w/ ati radeon 64 mb video card
512 mb of ddr2
40gb hard drive
24x cd burner/dvd rom
1 year mail in warranty (suggest this atleast)
free dell 720 printer

sub total:$781.95

Last edited:

boots_4SW

yeah everything looks good on there except I think I want the 128 mb video card and the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless card... I can get the wireless card on the 600m but it doesn't offer the 128 mb video card. How do you think the 64 mb card will handle AA?

alanuofm

VIP Member
heres an even better on
inspiron 6000

pentium M 1.6 ghz 533 bus (faster bus than you configured)
15.4 inch wide screen
512 mb ddr2
128 mb radeon x300 mobile
40 gb hd
24x cdrw/dvd
9 cell battery (larger than the 6 cell you configured it with)
1 year warranty (added that on)
free dell printer

sub total: $910

alanuofm

VIP Member
boots_4SW said:
yeah everything looks good on there except I think I want the 128 mb video card and the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless card... I can get the wireless card on the 600m but it doesn't offer the 128 mb video card. How do you think the 64 mb card will handle AA?

the price above is without the 2915. its only like an extra 17$ ontop of that.