Need Help With Buying Components For An Old Computer

dung1234

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy new components such as processor, motherboard, RAM, DVD drive for the upgrade for my old pc since i don't want to buy a brand new computer or build a new computer. so i am wondering if this set that i have found and put together would be great for my computer, would it make my computer run much faster and last for longer so that i can do my work and music on it. So please let me know what you think, any suggestions i dont mind. I also have a question to ask about the my old computer's hard drive, would i need to change it aswell because i dont really want to change it as i dont have that much of money. But anyways here are the items.

Processor:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Intel+Socket+1156/Gigabyte+GA-P55M-UD2+Intel+P55+%28Socket+1156%29+DDR3+PCI-Express+Micro-ATX+Motherboard+?productId=37725

RAM:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Memory/DDR3/DDR3+1600+%28PC3-12800%29/G.Skill+RipJaw+4GB+%282x2GB%29+DDR3+PC3-12800C9+1600MHz+Dual+Channel+Kit+?productId=37612

DVD Drive:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CD%2FDVD+Drives/Internal/SATA/Sony+24x+Internal+DVDRWRAM+SATA+Black+Bare+drive+?productId=38948

Motherboard:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Intel+Socket+1156/Gigabyte+GA-P55M-UD2+Intel+P55+%28Socket+1156%29+DDR3+PCI-Express+Micro-ATX+Motherboard+?productId=37725

Please help me, I dont really know much about computers.

THANK YOU

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What case and power supply are you using? It doesn't have onboard video so you would need a video card. Your cpu and motherboard links are the same, you will need to fix the cpu link.

daisymtc

Where is your CPU?? That mobo don't have onboard VGA, H55/H57 chipset is what you need if you want LGA 1156

I recommend AMD Athlon II x4 630/ Phenom IIx4 955 + Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H instead as intel is likely to change socket again next year

dung1234

Here is my CPU sorry about that

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CPUs+%2F+Processors/Intel/Core+i5/Intel+Core+i3++540+3.06Ghz+%28Clarkdale%29+%28Socket+LGA1156%29+Processor+-+Retail+?productId=39241

I already have a video card which is Nvidia Geforce 9500GT or GT9500 I can't remember and about the case i dont know what it is because i never bought my computer from a company like dell, hp or anything like that. Mine was built by a random company on ebay. And here is a link to another thread where my computer specs are if u need to have a look at it:

http://www.computerforum.com/169727-what-motherboard-buy.html

I already had AMD so I would like to try Intel since it is good for doing music, I heard.

Thank You

dung1234

I have read that link that you sent me, thank you for that. But can you suggest any motherboard dvd drive and rams for it and please have a look at my specs using the link and let me know if i would need to buy any other stuff for any other reasons i do not know anything about computers just music. Please help as i dont want to spend my money on something that is not going to help me through years. MY computer is now really dead and cannot run updated music programs like cubase.

Please help

Thank You

dung1234

Hi,

Have you had a look at my computer specs? If I buy those stuff now do you think it is going to work with couple things that i don't want to replace in my old computer?. Also what is OEM? and is phenom II x4 the strongest processor of AMD?

Sorry for bothering you, and all the questions

Thannk You

daisymtc

Hi,

Have you had a look at my computer specs? If I buy those stuff now do you think it is going to work with couple things that i don't want to replace in my old computer?. Also what is OEM? and is phenom II x4 the strongest processor of AMD?

Sorry for bothering you, and all the questions

Thannk You

What PSU have you got? new mobo with usually with 24 pin

OEM - Original equipment manufacturer
OEM DVD burner just come with the drive, no cable.
But the SATA cable would come with mobo anyway.

AMD best Desktop CPU would be Phenom II x6

dung1234

Sorry i do not know anything about computer can you tell me what psu is?

you think phenom II x4 is the best one for my money?

dung1234

also what about 890 AMD motherboard? whats different? would that not be suitable for me? and AM3 is the best right?

FATALiiTYz

Sorry i do not know anything about computer can you tell me what psu is?

you think phenom II x4 is the best one for my money?

Yes, you're correct AMD gives you good performance for the price. I'd suggest getting an AMD Phenom ll X4 945 and an Asus M4A79XTD EVO. The rest of the parts you've picked out are pretty good. Oh, and the PSU is the Power Supply, which obviously powers all the components. Since you are only running a low end GPU (graphics card), then your current PSU might be ok, but you might want to upgrade it in the future.

Last edited:

dung1234

Thank u for letting me know so does that mean if i buy the stuff that i picked and ur suggested mb and cpu it will work with my geforce 9500gt graphics card and the other stuff in my computer right now? Like the hardrive, power suply and that?

Thank You

Jamin43

banned
FYI - that Core i3 cpu you've got listed has a GPU built into the processor.

If I were you - I'd poke around this site - and maybe some others and read up on PC building / parts to make sure your PC does what you want it to.

Also, you never mentioned a case. What are you putting it in. If your case is not ATX - like a DELL or HP case - it's not plug and play like most Retail cases out there.

Last edited:

dung1234

Jeremy442,

Do you think there would be any better motherboards that's around that price or less than the one that you suggested? I am not trying to say that it is a bad motherboard, I'm just making sure that I get the right motherboard for it because I don't want to keep upgrading it every year, If you understand what I am trying to say. So please try to find me a good motherboard, processor, and that. I have about 310 pounds.

By the way, if you can find a motherboard that can run HD movies is even better but not necessarily.

Thank You

2048Megabytes

You are likely also going to need to buy another case. I am guessing your old case is an original equipment manufacturer which many times are built specifically for the parts they use.

dung1234

How do i meant to know what case would fit the stuff that i am buying? and please let me know about this. IF i buy those stuff now would it work with my old hard drive, power supply, graphics card and that? Do I need to buy any wires or anything? Please help me by letting me know, I have to get these stuff soon for my work.

Thank You