Need help with choice for great gaming desktop UK

alexjb

Yeah SSDs are faster. If you want my recommendation for one, Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 or OCZ Vertex 4 or SanDisk Extreme. 120GB is a nice size. Usually they're about £80-100 for the 120GB drives.

thank you so much :) I don't think I need much storage space, please can you add a ssd in the build if you think its worthwhile? if its a tiny bit more for a bit more storage space that would be fine :) i think more than 120 gb would help maybe 180+? do they sell them? :) thank you soo so so soooo much :)

alexjb

Paid for the Vengeance 8Gb ram, the define r3 case, and the dvd rw :)

Just sold my ipod 4, xbox 360 and a mouse on eBay and a ds game, waiting for the payments :)

Hope my old laptop, nintendo wii, all the games and other things sell soon :)

alexjb

If I buy all the listed items :) is that it? or do I need to buy some glue? and paste and bits and bobs like that? Will I also need a network adapter card? I plan to use ethernet wire cable ?Thanks everyone! :)

Will I also need a controller card? thank you! :)

Last edited:
No. If you use a ethernet cable, no adapter needed. The board has one built in, if you really want just a slightly (less then 5 MS) lower ping, and just slightly faster speeds, and spend $50, go for it. The screws are included with the case, you are good.

alexjb

No. If you use a ethernet cable, no adapter needed. The board has one built in, if you really want just a slightly (less then 5 MS) lower ping, and just slightly faster speeds, and spend $50, go for it. The screws are included with the case, you are good.

Thank you for your help! :) I have totally maxed my budget I have added everything up, cost of computer components, monitor, mouse, keyboard, operating system, desk, chair and mouse pad, everything = £1064/$1710 I was originally planning on spending £670/$1076 for everything, but I think the extra cost is worth it :)

spirit

Staff member
thank you so much :) I don't think I need much storage space, please can you add a ssd in the build if you think its worthwhile? if its a tiny bit more for a bit more storage space that would be fine :) i think more than 120 gb would help maybe 180+? do they sell them? :) thank you soo so so soooo much :)
There are a few 180GB drives about, but usually the sizes go 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB. The price of 256GB drives are slowly going down and all the SSDs I mentioned earlier should be available in 256GB.

If I buy all the listed items :) is that it? or do I need to buy some glue? and paste and bits and bobs like that? Will I also need a network adapter card? I plan to use ethernet wire cable ?Thanks everyone! :)

Will I also need a controller card? thank you! :)
You will need thermal paste for the CPU, such as this http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/thermalandcompounds/as5premium3.5g.html, put a little bit of that on the CPU (a pea-sized drop), then put the CPU cooler on top of it.

You don't need glue.

You don't need a network adapter if you want to use ethernet, just plug it straight into the back of the board.

You don't need a controller card, SATA ports will already be on the board.

By the way, if you're getting an SSD, you want to do the following:

- Plug the SSD into a SATA 6GB/s port (look in your board manual if you can't find them)
- Go into the BIOS (again, look in your board manual if you don't know how) and set the SATA type to AHCI.
- Make sure no other hard disk drives are plugged in.
- Install Windows 7 on the SSD.
- Once Windows has installed, install your SATA/AHCI drivers (they should be on the CD or DVD which came with your board).

That's how you get the best performance out of an SSD.

alexjb

There are a few 180GB drives about, but usually the sizes go 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB. The price of 256GB drives are slowly going down and all the SSDs I mentioned earlier should be available in 256GB.

You will need thermal paste for the CPU, such as this http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/thermalandcompounds/as5premium3.5g.html, put a little bit of that on the CPU (a pea-sized drop), then put the CPU cooler on top of it.

You don't need glue.

You don't need a network adapter if you want to use ethernet, just plug it straight into the back of the board.

You don't need a controller card, SATA ports will already be on the board.

By the way, if you're getting an SSD, you want to do the following:

- Plug the SSD into a SATA 6GB/s port (look in your board manual if you can't find them)
- Go into the BIOS (again, look in your board manual if you don't know how) and set the SATA type to AHCI.
- Make sure no other hard disk drives are plugged in.
- Install Windows 7 on the SSD.
- Once Windows has installed, install your SATA/AHCI drivers (they should be on the CD or DVD which came with your board).

That's how you get the best performance out of an SSD.

Thank you so much for all this great information :) I've ordered a £5 toolkit just to make sure I got all the right tools to make thing's easier, thanks for the link for the thermal paste I'll order that tonight :) I'd like to get a 256GB SSD but the truth is I cannot afford that right now :(

But thanks for the advice that they are slowly becoming cheaper :) I think I will stick with the HDD for about 3 months until I can afford to upgrade it :)

Thank you so much for all your help! :)

alexjb

I was reading the comments about the card :)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...hicscards/amdhd7850series/r7850tf-2gd5oc.html

and someone reviewed it 5 star and I noticed it said this :

"This is a retail version so comes with the power plugs and everything apart from CFx connector"

Will I need to buy a CFx connector too? what is it too please? :) or don't I need one? thanks :)

and the card description says -
900MHz Core, 4800MHz GDDR5, 1024 Stream Processors, DVI, HDMI, 2 x mDPort, PCIe 3.0, Overclocked, Eyefinity 2.0, CrossfireX
does this mean it's been overclocked too? thanks :) sorry for all my questions! :)

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
You don't need a CFX connector unless you want to get two cards. For one card, you don't need one.