Need Ram and dual Video Card

Da Mail Man

Greetings all!,

It's been a while......

I pulled off of the shelf a Dynex desktop computer......I am putting it back on it's feet again....Yes, it is old and so is the OS (XP).

I wish to know what type of ram I should look for?......
This desktop has 2 ram slots which 1 is occupied by a stick of 512mb's........

**The one ram stick I removed was:
512mb's DDR 400, 2 rank, 32mx8, cl2.5.

**What I cam make out from the obscured motherboard is:
Manufacturer ECS,
Model # 7616X-M754-964
PCI Express
ATA 133
HT 1600

See attached picts...It appears that I can use (2) 4GB sticks in this - am I correct?

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 5

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply!.....

I have 2 programs that "dig into" the computer and that was what it read.........

Is there a dual video card that would work with this?...OR, What should I look for?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Dual video card? It already uses integrated graphics. Your putting money into this that you won't get back. Or are you planning to use it yourself. It has a pci express slot for a video card.

Da Mail Man

Dual video card? It already uses integrated graphics. Your putting money into this that you won't get back. Or are you planning to use it yourself. It has a pci express slot for a video card.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, dual video...Maybe I need to explain.....Had a dell desktop (MB blew a year ago and am using a laptop which I hate)....that I found a "dual video" card for that enabled me to run 2 monitors (as an extended desktop)......The Dynex has a video port from the motherboard that accepts a single monitor/plug....I have video cards that have 2-ports on the card but, not sure of the application as they came out of Dell Desktops....Onr port is typical and the other is a multi-port...I appllogize that I don't know some of the proper names for many computer parts... Oh, will be using it myself as I have other priorities as a tree falling onto my house here in Florida from the recent hurricane.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Video cards will usually come with 2 to 3 ports on them. The older type may just be vga and dvi. But should be no problem hooking up to monitors to it.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

It is an older agp card with a typical hook-up to it......Can hook a monitor to it of course but, I wish to use 2 monitors and that is what I am looking for....

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oops meant to say vga, I edited last post. The AGP card won't fit in this pc, it only has a pciexpress video slot. You would need like GT 210 or 710 or radeon 5450 or hd6450. Even an r7 240 should work.

Da Mail Man

Oops meant to say vga, I edited last post. The AGP card won't fit in this pc, it only has a pciexpress video slot. You would need like GT 210 or 710 or radeon 5450 or hd6450. Even an r7 240 should work.

Thanks for the reply...
Wonder if I can find one on E-xxx?

Da Mail Man

Should find a whole bunch on there.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for te reply...

Finding a lot of cards...There is a larger slot on the board and I looked at the majority of cards...Seems that the cards have an end on it that is supposed to fit into the card slot....The dual video card for my dell has a larger slot and, it appears to hook into or slid into the end of the slot to secure it....Looking at this dynex, I see a larger red slot - most likely for a video card but, looking at the cards advertised seem that the end must too slide into the end of the slot...

EDIT....I just got in there with a light and maybe the cards will actually work...,...I seem to be not able to locate an inexpensive carg with the "typical" (vga??) port and the newer DVI???? port on it...

Attachments

• other vid slot.jpg
    other vid slot.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The red slot is for a pci express video card. The white slots are pci slots. They aren't compatible. The memory you posted should work no problem, would get 2 of them.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply!

Will get the ram tomorrow morning........still gotta come up with a vid card......So, there is no card I can use in this pc for dual vid?.......Would I be correct in saying that any dual vid card would need to go into the "white pci slots?........Will get back to this in the morning and as for me, gonna look at the back sides of my eylids for 7 hrs....grin....good night all.

Darren

Staff member
I gotta ask, as much as I see you playing with super old gear. Is this just a hobby/entertainment or do you actually use these systems for something?

Da Mail Man

Thanks for te reply....

Funny, I was just loking at this card.....maybe I'll give this a shot......This card will allow me to connect 2 monitors to it to obtain and extended desktop then?