Need Ram and dual Video Card

Da Mail Man

Another question if I may?...Would the following work using the pci port as I picturedn"red" in past posted picture?

VCO 8400GS (PCI-E) 256MB D2+CRT+DVI-I+HDCP Video Card

Brand:
MSI
Connectors:
DVI
Compatible Port/Slot:
PCI Express 2.0
Chipset Manufacturer:
NVIDIA
Type:
Low Profile
Memory Size:
256MB
Custom Bundle:
No
MPN:
EX84S256L
Compatible Slot:
PCI
Modified Item:
No
Chipset/GPU Model:
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
UPC:
Does not apply

beers

Staff member
I'd just throw whatever cheap second hand card in there. It's easy to find decent deals for $15 or less since most cards are pcie and the interface has been around for almost 20 years.

Also as stated any DDR1 RAM should work, the maximum density you'll see on those is 1 GB per stick. Most systems supported up to PC3200 without issues.

Da Mail Man

I'd just throw whatever cheap second hand card in there.
yes, that is what I intended

It's easy to find decent deals for $15 or less since most cards are pcie and the interface has been around for almost 20 years.
yes, I know...intend to do that.

Also as stated any DDR1 RAM should work, the maximum density you'll see on those is 1 GB per stick. Most systems supported up to PC3200 without issues.
as long as under 3200 will be ok?.....DDR OR DIMM?

beers

Staff member
"Unfortunately, PCI-E does NOT work in an older PCI slot."
Old PCI (the white slots) and PCIE (your orange slot) are different interfaces. He's stating the card won't work in a old PCI slot since it's a PCIE card.

Fun fact, it also won't work in an AGP interface.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE -

Decided to remove dual (ASUS) vid card from my Dell and it fit right into the Dynex,....

Plugged a vga(?) cord to it and a DVI cord to it, 2 separate monitors----IT WORKS!....Just have to remember how to set it up for extended desktop function...YIPPIE!

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You do realize that ebay card you linked to would have worked right? It's pci-express which you have, it's the orange slot.

Da Mail Man

THANKS FOR THE REPLY(IES),

Well, I took a break and got back to this...I looked in my dell and decided "what do I have to lose" to try to see if it would fit...It did......It is an ASUS card with the 2 outputs on it...Struggling to pull off and find a model number to secure a driver....

EDIT....found video driver on an external hard drive but, cannot install it to I purchase more ram....I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

FINALLY - have to ask another question -

I have a dell desktop that has NO AGP vid slot on motherboard...Is there a" PCI slot (??) video card" made that would enable me to utilize 2 monitors (for an extended desktop) that I could search for?

beers

Staff member
It'd probably be less expensive to upgrade to a pcie motherboard since that system is >20 years old.

You can search for 'pci video card', there were a bunch of them historically, but they're getting harder to come by such as the Geforce 6200 PCI

Da Mail Man

Thanks fr the reply.....

Just looking to get a cheap on via ebay but, not sure what to search for at this point....

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks fr the reply.....

Just looking to get a cheap on via ebay but, not sure what to search for at this point....
Pci cards are gonna be few and far between nowadays.

Something like this.

Da Mail Man

Pci cards are gonna be few and far between nowadays.

Something like this.

Thanks for the reply........

I did look at a few briefly and the "card contact" edges looked like AGP cards......All the cards I have seen so far have the "hook" at the end of the card---look at the edge of this card

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2844392696...tGRxraZAeSpBTwMoWkDMhjM5kI|tkp:Bk9SR7CX_umzYQ .

It has what I am looking for by way of connections athe the end but, to the board???????

Last edited: