Need to backup HP Win10 Laptop ASP

johnnyb58

My laptop is so slow it takes forever even load up a photo from my desktop let alone a program like Word. I don't know yet if I'm going to try and salvage this one or by a new one. I need Word and would like to save or move it since I had to purchase it separately. It has been a very painful process for me to back up my computers since the 1990s and I have even bought programs to do it for me and all have been a rip off not doing everything it was supposed to.

OK so I do not have a problem copying all my files over to a flash-drive but it’s the purchased programs that I have a problem with because it doesn’t copy or move the purchase verification files. I don’t use most of the programs anymore so they can go, but there are those which I depend on from time to time.

So I guess the first question it there any recommendations for a Flash drive and the second question is do I need to buy a program to make the back up?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with installed programs is that there is no sure fire way to transfer them to a new pc, they must be re8nstalled. And if you can't transfer the license to a new pc then you'll need to buy it again. What programs are we talking about? What are the specs of this machine?

johnnyb58

The problem with installed programs is that there is no sure fire way to transfer them to a new pc, they must be re8nstalled. And if you can't transfer the license to a new pc then you'll need to buy it again. What programs are we talking about? What are the specs of this machine?
Well, the programs I can deal with except for MS Office which I really need and I think I wasn’t allowed transfer it to a different machine. Once I tried to clean all the files off and reinstall Windows and it made me buy Office again even though I was still using the same computer so I’m not going to let that hold me back

I Have an HP Envy Notebook LAPTOP-PI6DODCQ with Win 10 and I don’t know if I can still restore or reinstall the system on this computer back to the way it was. I may have to buy a new one because the electronics are failing like the drive, sound card, and WIFI card or possibly the processor. In any case right now I just need to get these files off this laptop onto a large Flash drive before I do anything, but I have a feeling that I’m going to end up with a lot of duplicate files.

johnnyb58

That seems like an auto generated hostname and not a model number.
What’s that supposed to mean? It’s the model I got from the system information because there is no label. I mention it was a HP Envoy, but it seems no one here knows what that is either from all my prior posts. It seems giving too much information usually distracts from the actual question, but I keep making the same mistake.

1699201251798.png

Anyway can you just delete this thread because it’s going nowhere anyway. I'm just going to buy a large flash drive and start moving everything off this laptop and deal with computer after I buy a new one. There are just too many issues to workout

Last edited:

johnnyb58

See where it says 'Device Name'? That's not a model number but a randomly generated hostname.

Not really, calling your hostname a model is invalid.
Well I don't know of any other number because there is no label other than HP Envoy that's painted above the keyboard and HP has a lot of different Envoy laptops. Anyway I'm so sick of this computer and all the problems.

My 80 year old neighbor who knows nothing about computers just did a system reset on her old Windows 7 making me look real bad because I used to build them 15 years ago and I don't know how she managed to pull it off. Maybe I should have her take a look at mine. LOL

johnnyb58

I’ve searched everywhere on the laptop exterior looking for a model number because I’ve needed to replace the battery for a couple of years and then quite by accident I stumbled upon a YouTube video of the exact laptop I had and was able to order the correct battery replacement listed in the YouTube video description.

I didn’t notice the model number at the time, but wasn’t looking for it either. I was just so thrilled to finally get the battery replaced. I probably don’t need it at this point since I’m going buy a new laptop anyway. I originally bought the HP Envoy because my eyesight is bad and I can’t see those small screens anymore plus we had all had HP Laptops where I worked before retiring years ago. I don’t think I’m going to buy another HP because they won’t upgrade the WIFI driver for my HP printer and I’m a little pissed at that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t think I’m going to buy another HP because they won’t upgrade the WIFI driver for my HP printer and I’m a little pissed at that.
Can you expand on this? If this is an older wireless printer and you have a wireless router that only broadcasts 5ghz band then you need to change it so that it transmits the 2.4ghz band instead or see if you can separate the bands. The older printers have a hard time connecting to routers that combine the bands or only transmits the 5ghz band. I've come across this so many times with my clients.

johnnyb58

What does this actually mean? You can't really upgrade hardware aspects of a radio with software.
The printer works fine, it’s just my laptop says it needs a driver to print, but when I try to update the driver, it says driver unavailable.

I have to email anything I need to print to my daughter and she prints it from her cellphone.

johnnyb58

Can you expand on this? If this is an older wireless printer and you have a wireless router that only broadcasts 5ghz band then you need to change it so that it transmits the 2.4ghz band instead or see if you can separate the bands. The older printers have a hard time connecting to routers that combine the bands or only transmits the 5ghz band. I've come across this so many times with my clients.
I have a new Mesh Duel band that automatically switches band for each device

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The printer works fine, it’s just my laptop says it needs a driver to print, but when I try to update the driver, it says driver unavailable.

I have to email anything I need to print to my daughter and she prints it from her cellphone.
I thought this was fixed in this thread?

johnnyb58

I thought this was fixed in this thread?
I forgot about that one and I believe it worked for a while, but I'm now having problems with WIFI connection on this same laptop and haven't printed anything since. I just spent a lot of money on a new WIFI System and all the other devices seem to be working, I'm not so sure I had a problem with the router or if maybe the problem was the laptop.

DavidG

If you have a new network you will need to tell the printer about the new network otherwise it won't connect. Probably the simplest way is to reinstall the printer.