Need To Power & Overclock Q6600, Two 8800GTX SLI'd, & 4Gigs PC8500 - Sugest A PSU?

SubDude199

Hi there, I am building a prety intense gamin rig once intel drops the price of the Q6600 to $266. So I need to find a good PSU to power this stuff:

MOTHERBOARD: EVGA nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard (New T1 Version)

PROCESSOR: Intel Q6600 (Quad Core 2.4GHZ)

VIDEO CARD: EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (I WILL EVENTUALLY BE RUNNING 2 OF THESE, SO I NEED A PSU TO POWER 2 OF THEM)

RAM: OCZ Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Nvidia SLI-Ready X 4GB

4 SATAII Hard Drives (Two 150GB, Two 500GB)

2 DVD/CD Devices

I will also be running liquiq cooling, and the pump will most likely run off the 12V rail unless I use an external unit, I am undecided at this point but I need the power to run it so lets asume it will be ran by the PSU.

PSU Requirments:

-Power all this stuff

-Have 24 Pin JATXPWR1 ATX Connector

-Have a 8 pin JAtXPWR2 Connector (I never seen anything but 4 pin until now, but looking at the mobo it has an 8 pin so I would like to use them all)

-Be SLI Ready (Needs 2 PCI-e connectors, I think thats all they mean by SLI ready?)

I have looked threw the PSU 101 but am still unsure about what to get. I dont think I really like this dual rail business, but if its recomended then I will do it. I am open to any brand with recomendations and I would not like to spend more than $100 or $150 max if posable.

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited:

Tuffie

Have a look on the Sli Zone website they can tell you the best power supplys for SLi base systems.

Kent.

SubDude199

Well, companys and sites like that may get paid to say that someone PSU is best to use, I prefer real people recomendation over any company. I will take a look and see what they recomend, Thanks for the advise.

kof2000

even though the 520 hx isn't listed on the slizone. it will work. i tried it with e6600 clocked to 3.6ghz two 8800gtxs and 2gb of ram, ran 3dmark 06, no restart so i assumed it has enough juice for it. though now i am using pcc 750w

SubDude199

what about the 8 pin mobo connector, you guys ever hear or see that before?.. is that the new norm?.. does that PSU have that?.

UPDATE

ok.. if this is the PSU your talking about then yes it does have the 8 pin and a 4 pin, and it has the 20/24 so that check out, and dual PCI-E power connectors, modular wires is awsome!,120mm fan should be nice and quite, but do you think that will be enough watts?..

or I could play it safe and go with THIS PSU wich is the same thing, just a few more watts correct?..

Any other options?.

thanks for any input!

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
8pin EPS board connectors are quite common on high end boards these days. I wouldn't use the HX520. Just because it worked fine for a few days in your tests doesn't mean that it will survive a few years with those sorts of loads. I wouldn't consider the HX620W safe, either.

Something like the Antec Quattro 850W would be a good choice. Not much more than what newegg wants for the Corsair, either. The Silverstone OP750 is good as well.

-Be SLI Ready (Needs 2 PCI-e connectors, I think thats all they mean by SLI ready?)
For SLI's 8800GTXs, you'll need 4 PCI-E connectors (or the appropriate adapters).

SubDude199

O wow, there is 2 PCI-e conectors per 8800GTX. thats awsome!..

I have heard good things about ANTEC TruePower, I have a few friends that swear by it. It only has 2 PCI-E but im sure with adapters it would be fine, and it does have the 8 pin EPS conector.

So I will elmiinate the HX520 from to running, and I never heard of Silverstone OP750, and its the same price as the antec so I will remove that also, Were down to:

Antec Quattro 850W
OR:
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX

I noticed that there is no SLI logo on this antec?.. does that really mean anything?..

8pin EPS board connectors are quite common on high end boards these days. I wouldn't use the HX520. Just because it worked fine for a few days in your tests doesn't mean that it will survive a few years with those sorts of loads. I wouldn't consider the HX620W safe, either.

Something like the Antec Quattro 850W would be a good choice. Not much more than what newegg wants for the Corsair, either. The Silverstone OP750 is good as well.

For SLI's 8800GTXs, you'll need 4 PCI-E connectors (or the appropriate adapters).

I should've bought that Quattro, it looks awesome and has plenty of power. I just ordered a HX520W:cool:

SubDude199

Yea im prety strongly leaning twords the ANTEC also. I dono if I want one huge rail, or several small ones.. no one seems to have a definant answer at what is better.

SubDude199

ok, after alot of research I do think that multiple rails are better since I will be overclocking, dual rails just ensures that your power delivery is more linear by allowing one rail to supply power to your video card and processor for example, while the second rail is dedicated to supplying power to your hard drives, add in cards and optical drives. so I think multiple rails will be better for me, what do you think?

SubDude199

well, I dono if im just being retarded, but I cant even find how many amps the antec has on how many rails, plus I just read this:

With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you’d think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it’s not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply’s rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets “trapped” on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.
From HERE

basicly says thats multiple rails is BS.. I really dont know if I want one big rail or several small rails!!

ceewi1

VIP Member
So I will elmiinate the HX520 from to running, and I never heard of Silverstone OP750, and its the same price as the antec so I will remove that also, Were down to:

Antec Quattro 850W
OR:
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX
Of the two, I'd favour the Antec for your system.

I noticed that there is no SLI logo on this antec?.. does that really mean anything?..
One of two things. Either Antec/nVidia haven't had the chance to go through the certification process for this unit yet (it's reasonably new), or Antec don't want to pay nVidia's licensing fee. Either way, it's not a problem at all.

I should've bought that Quattro, it looks awesome and has plenty of power. I just ordered a HX520W
It's a great PSU at a great price, but still almost twice as much as the HX520.

basicly says thats multiple rails is BS.. I really dont know if I want one big rail or several small rails!!
Don't believe what you read on PC P&Cs site, it's all marketing FUD. Their example would only apply if the multiple rails actually added, which they don't. For a PSU like the Antec, for example, you can see that the total +12V output is 64A, but up to 18A can be provided on any single +12V rail (actually 22A, despite the labelling). 22*4 = 88A, so from these calculations the PSU is capable of putting out it's full 64A, even if 24A is "trapped" on under-utilized rails.

Now, multiple rails can provide some filtering benefits, and a single rail can be more versatile in the loading situations it can accommodate, but provided you're not going to have a particularly strange loading situation (and you won't), it's a bit of a non-issue. I wouldn't base your decision on single rail vs multiple rails.

SubDude199

well, I am looking to order it, but for some reason this PSU is kinda hard to find, tiger does not have it, ebay and newegg hav it but its over 200 at both places, so I guess I will have to use the sit listed in the link to buy it. is this a reliable seller?.I can add it to cart but when I click checkout I get can not find server error.. eekk, It is much cheeper here than anywhere else I can find it, even a google search does not bring up any good results.

ceewi1

VIP Member
I haven't used it myself (being in Australia), but I know a few people who have, and have indicated that it is reputable. I wouldn't have listed that price in my guide if I didn't believe that it was a reliable seller.