Need To Power & Overclock Q6600, Two 8800GTX SLI'd, & 4Gigs PC8500 - Sugest A PSU?

SubDude199

Thank you.. I have peiced together a kick ass liquid cooling package to complement it. I am quite excited.. now to play the waiting game for newegg to lower the Q6600 from 299 to 266..

and actually.. the Q6600 has a locked multiplyer of 9X.. I kinda want to go with a QX so its not locked.. i will decide for sure when I see lowered prices

butter

Thank you.. I have peiced together a kick ass liquid cooling package to complement it. I am quite excited.. now to play the waiting game for newegg to lower the Q6600 from 299 to 266..

and actually.. the Q6600 has a locked multiplyer of 9X.. I kinda want to go with a QX so its not locked.. i will decide for sure when I see lowered prices

tell me more about your liquid cooling system.. we have a hellova battle about it here

SubDude199

PUMP/RES: Thermaltake Aquabay M5 Bay Mounted Alarm, Temperature, Water Level LCD Display w/ Pump = $79

RADIATOR: Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 360 Radiator - Black = $59.95

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GT Extreme Performance Universal CPU Waterblock = $55.95

VGA Blocck: Koolance VID-282 (Vid) Liquid Cooling VGA Block - GeForce 8800GTX = $99.99

I know that kit does not have a very good pump, but for the price I LOVE the features.. SAFETY!!.. I will replace that pump with THIS one. Should be a prety sweet system with that temp display and alarm and stuff..

I will not forget to add the T fittings and clamps and limes and fluid.. but thats the heard of the system.

SubDude199

yea, I already got the Antec TruPower Quattro 850W... Cant go wrong with 4 rails.. Only diffrence is I got if from a diffrent site for $166, From HERE

SubDude199

yea.. Im glad someone pointed that out to me.. I cant find that PSU for under $200 anywhere, and most places its $200-$300

SubDude199

wow.. I just found the antec 900 case on that site for $87 plus only $16 for shipping.. I am gettin that to, awsome site man! thanks

butter

well, i kept thinking about that, and realized that the best way to buy a case is to actually go to a store and pick one myself. cause that's the only way to actually check out it's sturdiness, likableness, fans' noisiness, weight, and etc..

moreover, save some money on shipping.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well I no longer keep up with the most current over clocking and build your own system hardware because frankly I don't really care that much anymore. I care more about stability and functionality.

However, I can give you a testimonial about Antec. I have been building my own PCs since the mid-late 90s and I have always used Antec power supplies, and I have never had one go bad on me. That is easily 10 years of using Antec Power supplies. In fact I have a 10 year old celeron A 300 system in my closet that still boots right up into windows 98se. I never threw it a way, cuz I can be a pack rat sometimes. I need to take it down to surplus exchange and recycle it or donate it to a church or something.

Anyways, before I get side tracked. There are some things you should know about power supplies that you can research you make your decision better. Many many times no name or cheaper PSUs will advertise 750w for 99 dollars or whatever. What they are doing is sly advertising. You see sure it may pump out 750 watts at peak, with minimal load on it. However you start adding peripherals to it the wattage will drop, sometimes in half.

I only buy PSU that state they are a true wattage PSU, which antec are. Zalman I know are good ones as well because I have several friends that swear by them. Apparently Antec has lost a bit of it's quality some may argue over their previous models, but for me as long as they keep working for me flawlessly I am a customer.

Same goes for Asus motherboards, never had a problem with them either.

butter

Well I no longer keep up with the most current over clocking and build your own system hardware because frankly I don't really care that much anymore. I care more about stability and functionality.

However, I can give you a testimonial about Antec. I have been building my own PCs since the mid-late 90s and I have always used Antec power supplies, and I have never had one go bad on me. That is easily 10 years of using Antec Power supplies. In fact I have a 10 year old celeron A 300 system in my closet that still boots right up into windows 98se. I never threw it a way, cuz I can be a pack rat sometimes. I need to take it down to surplus exchange and recycle it or donate it to a church or something.

Anyways, before I get side tracked. There are some things you should know about power supplies that you can research you make your decision better. Many many times no name or cheaper PSUs will advertise 750w for 99 dollars or whatever. What they are doing is sly advertising. You see sure it may pump out 750 watts at peak, with minimal load on it. However you start adding peripherals to it the wattage will drop, sometimes in half.

I only buy PSU that state they are a true wattage PSU, which antec are. Zalman I know are good ones as well because I have several friends that swear by them. Apparently Antec has lost a bit of it's quality some may argue over their previous models, but for me as long as they keep working for me flawlessly I am a customer.

Same goes for Asus motherboards, never had a problem with them either.

did u ever write books? ;)) u went really technical..

it's good tho. nice and comprehensive..

tlarkin

VIP Member
did u ever write books? ;)) u went really technical..

it's good tho. nice and comprehensive..

Nope no books, I do have a couple of articles published on some websites over the years but nothing actually printed by a publisher. However, I do enjoy writing maybe some day I'll finish one of my books I have started, but yeah we all know how projects end up when the real world gets in the way.

Anyways, the advice I gave is pretty standard among electronics. Take car stereos for example. In my Volkswagen corrado I used to own I had an Alpine head unit that claimed 60watts x 4 channels, however I would never really get that output. Maybe on a blue moon with the AC off and with everything else using power not being used because they rate things by peak wattage.

It is very common for a manufacturer of a product to skew the truth of exactly how it performs in the real world, which is why benchmarks a lot of times are meaning less. I mean over clocking is cool and I have nothing against it, its a hobby just like people with their muscle cards I guess or whatever else people build in their homes. The thing is over clocking really doesn't improve real world performance that much and like most humans can even tell the difference.

When was the last time you played a heavy 3D game or watched a high quality movie from your PC and could tell the difference between 75 frames and 95 frames per a second? Odds are 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I am sure that there is the 1% that can.

I mean take Babe Ruth for example one of the best natural hitters in baseball of all time. This was before all the athletes juiced and used performance enhancing drugs. He was put through a series of tests and was found to have faster reflexes and heightened senses over the average person which is probably what made him great. Really natural talent has a lot to do with your DNA so don't feel bad if you can't hit a ball like Babe Ruth or dunk like Michael Jordan. I do believe that is only half of it though, the other half of course is hard work and dedication.

reference: http://record.wustl.edu/clip/page/normal/10682.html

Anyways, I was making a point that most people can't tell these things so companies like to use benchmarks and peak wattages and peak performances to advertise this is what their product can do, but in reality that is a peak performance and not a constant. I am sure there may be some people out there that can tell the difference between 70 and 100 FPS but I doubt most people can.

Now there is a flip side too. Obviously, the difference between 30 frames and 60 frames is probably noticeable by most people. It is when it reaches a certain point that people are just going by numbers and no longer by real world performance.

butter

Nope no books, I do have a couple of articles published on some websites ...

... it reaches a certain point that people are just going by numbers and no longer by real world performance.

whoa!

well thanks for paragraphing at least.. that was a huge 1

and very helpful too.. i believe now, after baby rugh and michael jordan, the poor guy will find a PSU for his Q6600, Two 8800GTX, & stuff

:)

SubDude199

wow, thanks for that.. I feel very confident using the antec.. companys that try to scam us with those phony numbers dont realise that we use the products every day and we know if there tru and reliable, and word get around like were talkin here, thats why antec is getting my money and not some lying company.. thanks man!