Netbook vs. Tablet

leapinglizards

I am a college student looking for a something small to take to class with me that I could use to access the internet and run Microsoft Word. I'm not really too concerned about any other features, as I have a large laptop computer that I plan to primarily use. Like I said, I really just need something small and light that I can bring to class. Any computer experts out there want to weigh in on the benefits of a netbook, tablet, or maybe even an iPad. Recommendations of specific brands/models would be especially appreciated. Thanks!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Go with an ASUS Eee PC netbook. I got a tablet and thought I'd take notes in class with it, but it's too much of a pain in the ass. You can't type very fast with a tablet.

Mishkin

I strongly agree with voyager. A netbook would be immensely better than a tablet for taking to class with you. The typing and comfort level of it would be about 1,000 times better than a tablet, and it would take up a similar amount of space in a bookbag. Really a no-brainer.

Also, if all you're really going to use it for is taking notes, any netbook would do. I have a cheapo $250 Acer Aspire One I got at Walmart, and it works and runs well.

Mishkin

The answer to that question really comes down to what you want to use a mobile computer for. Netbooks make excellent choices for those that want to use their standard computer programs but in a mobile format. It is also excellent for using them heavily for creation of typed documents as the keyboards are better than virtual ones on a touchscreen. On the other hand, if you want to just pick up a mobile PC and use it to watch some videos, check mail or play a game or two, then a tablet PC is a more compact and easy to use platform. Before deciding which one is right for you, take a close look at what you want to use it for.
Thanks

Pointless. The OP already told us what he will be using it for.

trewyn15

Ya, a notebook can be pain especially when you cant download a full version of word. I agree you should gaet a tablet like the following: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AO722-04...f=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327539935&sr=1-14

The specs are great for this low price!

Also try a: Dell Inspiron iM1018-2628OBK 10.1-Inch Netbook

Those are both netbooks not tablets.

You can get full programs easy... upgrade the ram and upgrade the OS...

Don't get a tablet if you want to be able to take notes.

Des_Zac

Think about it like this, you could get a tablet with an attachable keyboard, then you have a tablet AND a laptop. I feel like it would be a waste to get a second laptop when you already have one... And that way you can use it for tablet uses too.

Geoff

VIP Member
Think about it like this, you could get a tablet with an attachable keyboard, then you have a tablet AND a laptop. I feel like it would be a waste to get a second laptop when you already have one... And that way you can use it for tablet uses too.
It looks like a laptop, but nothing like a laptop.

Des_Zac

It looks like a laptop, but nothing like a laptop.

I don't understand what you're saying, he said he just needs it for a document program right? And since he already has a laptop I don't see why he should get another when he could get something that works with what he needs it to and fills other uses.

Mishkin

I don't understand what you're saying, he said he just needs it for a document program right? And since he already has a laptop I don't see why he should get another when he could get something that works with what he needs it to and fills other uses.

I don't understand how your mind works.

He needs something to take to class with him to take notes with. His current main computer, which is a laptop, is too big. So, he needs to find something more portable to use.

His original question was tablet or netbook. Most tablets and netbooks will take up similar space in a backpack, and while netbooks will be slightly heavier, both are well within the range of weight not being an issue.

Now. What kind of masochistic retard would want to bring a freakin tablet to class with him so he can spend hours every day "typing" notes on it? You do realize that would suck balls right?

Or...he could opt for the netbook, which would offer good typing ability (and 1,000 times better typing ability than the tablet). It would be a nice small size like the tablet and offer a full keyboard. It would also be better/less of a hassle for software and programs. I doubt that would be an issue either way, but with the netbook he's going to be good for sure.

Starting to sink in yet or do you still have a stupid tablet fetish?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Like I said, netbook netbook netbook.

Even if you bought something like an Eee Pad Transformer, you'd be paying for $400+ for something (especially with the dock) that would still be pretty difficult to effectively take good notes on. That's why he should go the route of the netbook.

wolfeking

banned
I also would say netbook.
However there is a way that you could get the best of both, something like a tablet PC, you know the ones that are convertable from touch screen to laptop style. But these are very expensive from what I see.

Geoff

VIP Member
Tablets are not designed for typing notes/papers on, even with a keyboard dock any word processing application is extremely limited. Not to mention the delay on Android is a huge pain.

speedyink

VIP Member
Tablets are not designed for typing notes/papers on, even with a keyboard dock any word processing application is extremely limited. Not to mention the delay on Android is a huge pain.

I didn't even think of that, good point. You'll never find anything comparable to microsoft word on any tablet. I doubt you could find anything comparable to wordpad even.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Actually, the closest is OnLive Desktop, which provides you with virtual copies of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint on a remote desktop. However you need a strong internet connection in order to use it.

Ethan3.14159

I didn't even think of that, good point. You'll never find anything comparable to microsoft word on any tablet. I doubt you could find anything comparable to wordpad even.

Pages for iPad with a bluetooth keyboard exceeds Word in every area And it syncs between any device with Pages/iWork. And if you're going with a full Office suite Keynote is unmatched.

Word is the absolute last word processor I would ever use, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Pages for iPad with a bluetooth keyboard exceeds Word in every area And it syncs between any device with Pages/iWork. And if you're going with a full Office suite Keynote is unmatched.

Word is the absolute last word processor I would ever use, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
What was the last version you really used?