Netbooks...

Irishwhistle

okeedokee then, I've ordered it. :) Should be fun to play around with. Hopefully the egg with ship it out today and I'll have it this weekend.

speedyink

VIP Member
Okay, cool. So what netbook would you recommend? An Acer Aspire One 10.1", MSI Wind U123 (the U123 has longer battery life than the other Winds), or something else. I really like the Eee 1008HA, but it costs $420, which is more than I'd like to spend... the max I'd like to spend is $320.

I like the EEE's meself, but netbooks are generally very similar. Biggest factors are the extra bells and whistles like bluetooth that some have to offer, and obviously the ranging battery lives.

[-0MEGA-];1265644 said:
I prefer viewing it on the camera opposed to on a Netbook.

...Why? unless you got a 10" high def screen strapped to your camera I can't see how it would be better in any way.

It seems to be controversial whether or not these things would suffice for photo editing. Here is a simple video I made ages ago doing some minor editing on my 900HA. Ignore the british accent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGOLPKLTpY

Last edited:

Irishwhistle

I like the EEE's meself, but netbooks are generally very similar. Biggest factors are the extra bells and whistles like bluetooth that some have to offer, and obviously the ranging battery lives.

...Why? unless you got a 10" high def screen strapped to your camera I can't see how it would be better in any way.

It seems to be controversial whether or not these things would suffice for photo editing. Here is a simple video I made ages ago doing some minor editing on my 900HA. Ignore the british accent...

Eees are okay, but I like that the wind has a 2.0GHz OC mode... that way it can play HL2. :D

Oh, and btw, that british accent = fail. I mean, megafail. :rolleyes: But it's good to see it can run Lightroom quite nicely on Windows 7.

bomberboysk

Windows "Vista"? Looks like windows 7:p Which speaking of it, irishwhistle, you should put windows 7 on yours when it comes;) 7 runs alot faster than XP did on a netbook my friend has(friend with the mini 9).

Last edited:

Irishwhistle

Windows "Vista"? Looks like windows 7:p Which speaking of it, irishwhistle, you should put windows 7 on your;) 7 runs alot faster than XP did on a netbook my friend has(friend with the mini 9).

I'll probably try all kinds of things, including 7. Can't wait till Friday, that thing is gonna be awesome to play around with... there's something amazingly cool about portability. :p

bomberboysk

I'll probably try all kinds of things, including 7. Can't wait till Friday, that thing is gonna be awesome to play around with... there's something amazingly cool about portability. :p

I personally am gonna wait to get a netbook(if i do) until ion based netbooks come out, they should drive down the price of standard netbooks:D Because id love to be able to be more places with a notebook, as my current notebooks are 15" and 17", and i have to carry the 17" as the battery is pretty much dead on my 15"...and i only get about an hour with my clunky 17">_<(On a brand new battery that i got like a month ago, turned out mine was one of the recalled batteries for that seris)

Geoff

VIP Member
I prefer it for a few reasons, mainly though because the 50D display is amazingly crisp, and you are able to zoom in so you can see details and determine whether or not something was in focus or not, much easier then downloading them to a laptop and reviewing them there. I'm not saying I wouldn't view them on a Netbook, but if I just want to see if the photo came out well or not I would look on the camera.

Netbooks are really cool, hopefully you will have more fun with it then I did, after a few weeks it got so boring to the point where I haven't used it for months. :(

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1266850 said:
Netbooks are really cool, hopefully you will have more fun with it then I did, after a few weeks it got so boring to the point where I haven't used it for months. :(

You are not permitted to say that. You are dismissed. :p

I'll doubt I'll get bored of it all very quickly... I've got some cool ideas for it AND when I'm using it I won't have to be looking into my cruddy CRT monitor. It's gonna be awesome to have a computer that I can take with me basically anywhere... you don't get that with a desktop, or even some laptops.

Geoff

VIP Member
I probably just got bored of it because I bought it with my $5K, and I had plenty of other cool things to use :p

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1266862 said:
I probably just got bored of it because I bought it with my $5K, and I had plenty of other cool things to use :p

lol Well that would explain it. :rolleyes: So did you spend it all at the same time or what? That would of been a ton of boxes. :p One time I was helping my brother build his monster computer (I think you saw it on Facebook, which reminds me that I still have to show you a picture of the final thing) and the parts for a friend's computer I was building came on the same day. I was swimming in boxes... literally.

Too bad you didn't wait to buy the netbook though... you could've gotten the 1008HA.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah, I spent it all at once, I had quite a few boxes :p

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1266892 said:
Yeah, I spent it all at once, I had quite a few boxes :p

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Nice! Not as many boxes as I had to deal with that one time, but on the other hand that's much better stuff than I was dealing with as well (well, not the CPU, RAM, and maybe the case.) I don't see your netbook or DSLR there though. What netbook did you get btw?

speedyink

VIP Member
Eees are okay, but I like that the wind has a 2.0GHz OC mode... that way it can play HL2. :D

Oh, and btw, that british accent = fail. I mean, megafail. :rolleyes: But it's good to see it can run Lightroom quite nicely on Windows 7.

EEE's can OC to 2GHz as well, just not my particular one.

And thanks...I told you to ignore it :p
It sounded like a funnier idea when I was stoned..

Windows "Vista"? Looks like windows 7:p Which speaking of it, irishwhistle, you should put windows 7 on yours when it comes;) 7 runs alot faster than XP did on a netbook my friend has(friend with the mini 9).

It was 7. I posted that before the public beta came out, which I wasn't supposed to have, so to avoid any crap I called it Vista

[-0MEGA-];1266850 said:
I prefer it for a few reasons, mainly though because the 50D display is amazingly crisp, and you are able to zoom in so you can see details and determine whether or not something was in focus or not, much easier then downloading them to a laptop and reviewing them there. I'm not saying I wouldn't view them on a Netbook, but if I just want to see if the photo came out well or not I would look on the camera.

Well, yeah the camera screen would suffice but there are a few times where I want to see it bigger and clearer, and hell, sometimes to see if certain pictures can be saved. Its not hard at all to pop in the sd card and view it right off the card..no downloading necessary

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Nice! Not as many boxes as I had to deal with that one time, but on the other hand that's much better stuff than I was dealing with as well (well, not the CPU, RAM, and maybe the case.) I don't see your netbook or DSLR there though. What netbook did you get btw?
That didn't include the $1,500 laptop I bought either :)

Motoxrdude

To the OP:

I think a netbook would be perfect for you. It doesn't sound like you want to do full picture editing, just more like reviewing the photos you just took. I think it will be fine for that until you get your pictures home and you can look at them in more detail and edit them.

Plus, it's cool to have such a small and light laptop :p