networking advice

now that i have my windows 8 sorted out im looking to upgrade my network before i do anything else. right now i have 12 different devices connected at any given time some being 4 computers/laptops other 6 phones/ipod and tablets and two game systems. right now i have a cheap linksys as my router im just getting into this so need a lil help i know network speeds slow down a ton when more devices connect esp when streaming videos like i know some of the kids plan to do after they get their new laptops and tablet. how can i boost my networking? everything is wireless besides one desktop and i have the xbox hardwired to router. do i need to upgrade router? or maybe add an access point? we live in an apartment right now so all one level but plan on getting a house in the next year hopefully.

turbodiesel

upgrading your router/AP point will not create a mega difference it speed it may be slightly quicker though

what you want to do is upgrade your service with your ISP to a better speed

now that i have my windows 8 sorted out im looking to upgrade my network before i do anything else. right now i have 12 different devices connected at any given time some being 4 computers/laptops other 6 phones/ipod and tablets and two game systems. right now i have a cheap linksys as my router im just getting into this so need a lil help i know network speeds slow down a ton when more devices connect esp when streaming videos like i know some of the kids plan to do after they get their new laptops and tablet. how can i boost my networking? everything is wireless besides one desktop and i have the xbox hardwired to router. do i need to upgrade router? or maybe add an access point? we live in an apartment right now so all one level but plan on getting a house in the next year hopefully.

Adding an access point will not relieve the load onto the router, as the Access point will still connect to the router with its traffic. Tablets should not use that much bandwidth while not being used (idle).

You could try as turbo said, getting a better plan. If you do not need stuff on, then turn it off, I for example run my desktops on to the internet through a MAC bridge on my laptop, which means only one machine is connected to the router at once.

hmm i guess my big concerns are the kids are addicted to netflix so i know two laptops and a tablet will probably be streaming video at once plus me on my laptop the other stuff will be idle probably

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Which Linksys router do you have? How fast is your internet service, what speed are you paying for?

im paying for 15 Mbps and get right at that if me and maybe one or two other devices are on and not streaming internet. the router is a e1000 like i said a cheap one.

might also be under cisco routers too cant remember how mine is done

Last edited by a moderator:
im paying for 15 Mbps and get right at that if me and maybe one or two other devices are on and not streaming internet. the router is a e1000 like i said a cheap one.

might also be under cisco routers too cant remember how mine is done

You shouldn't have too much of a problem, I do that on a max 5mbps connection, usually only get 2 though, and my upload is only 0.3mbps

thats actually the one if i upgrade was gonna get but i read some reviews and a ton was bad for it so it kinda scared me off from it saying how hot it gets and how it drops connections.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have him come to this thread and verify its the one. He may be able to offer answers to any questions you have. It's voyagerfan99...

and you havent had any over heating problems or dropping connection. how many devices do u have connected to it? i love the look and was fixen to drop the money for one when they had it on sale for 89 bucks but backed off after reading the reviews

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
No I don't have overheating issues. I've got 4 smartphones, 1 tablet, 3 laptops, 2 desktops, and a wireless weather station. It may occasionally drop connection on me, but it's very VERY rare.

sorry to bring up old thread hoping voyagerfan99 sees this but how are the restrictions on the asus? the one have now sucks as far as setting things up

Bringing back my old thread. I waited to get the asus one when it was on sale but gonna get it as soon as taxes comes in since they have a deal on it right now. ive been keeping an eye on the current one i have and down on the icon for wireless the bars keep going up and down. on sec i will have full bars the next it will drop to two or one bar causing slow speeds. i havent noticed the bars floating on other devices granted i havent looked for it either, but this happens with me sitting right next to router. do u think the router is to blame or the computer and will the new router help this problem out?