networking advice

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
sorry to bring up old thread hoping voyagerfan99 sees this but how are the restrictions on the asus? the one have now sucks as far as setting things up

Sorry about just now seeing this. The restrictions should be much better on the ASUS; granted I've never used them, but I have faith in them.

Bringing back my old thread. I waited to get the asus one when it was on sale but gonna get it as soon as taxes comes in since they have a deal on it right now. ive been keeping an eye on the current one i have and down on the icon for wireless the bars keep going up and down. on sec i will have full bars the next it will drop to two or one bar causing slow speeds. i havent noticed the bars floating on other devices granted i havent looked for it either, but this happens with me sitting right next to router. do u think the router is to blame or the computer and will the new router help this problem out?

It could be the router. Do know that wireless signal really means nothing because even if signal strength says poor, you can get great signal.

But I do still highly recommend the RT-N56U.

so i have ordered the router cant wait for it to get there. have another question. my step daughter has a nexus 7 and its been having problems connecting to wifi spots saying it cant even connect to our wifi. i havent seen it so havnt got to play with it much.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
so i have ordered the router cant wait for it to get there. have another question. my step daughter has a nexus 7 and its been having problems connecting to wifi spots saying it cant even connect to our wifi. i havent seen it so havnt got to play with it much.

Does she have issues connecting to other wireless locations? If not, then it's your router at home and the new one should fix that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I also bought this router a few weeks ago. I can say that it has more options than my Linksys wrt54gl does. I like that it if for instance you lost internet connection with your modem or something that if you try to open your browser with no internet connection, it automatically opens the router page for reconfiguring or troubleshooting. I doubt I'll ever be able to play with all the options though. So far I like it, has better signal strength then the linksys did as well.

i can actually go to web pages and it work on phones and other wireless devices but im scared to unhook it and it stop working

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Unhook what? The router? Why would you unhook it? Don't you want to use it? :confused:

No unhook from computer. I had it hooked up for set up. I unhooked it cause it set on proceeding. I checked all devices. They all had to sign in and all connected to the internet and was blazing fast

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You can disconnect it. It's just processing through the router. Once you send the command you don't need to stay connected.

So a newbie question what's the benefits of dual band and how do I take advantage of it. I'm using 2.4 ghz right now I think

voyagerfan99

Staff member
A dual band router has two network band outputs, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The 5Ghz is a bit faster speed wise than the 2.4Ghz. However to use the 5Ghz you need a 5Ghz compatible card. My laptop only had a 2.4Ghz card, so I bought a cheap Intel dual band card and installed it.

If you can see your SSID AND a second SSID of the same name but with _5ghz added to the name, then you know if you can take advantage of it or not.

ok it came up for a second and then went away when i first loaded it. can i add a card like u did if so how do i choose one that will work with mine?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Well if you left it default, then it would appear as ASUS for the 2.4Ghz and ASUS_5Ghz would be the 5Ghz channel.

hmm i didnt think i changed it but ill take a look i still need to mess around with it some. but i love the speeds im getting its a lot better and doesnt drop.