New 780I boards

colt1911

Just read in another forum that the 780I nor the 790I will not be supporting the 45nm Quads. The person that posted the thread says he spoke to a Asus rep in which it was confirmed.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Just read in another forum that the 780I nor the 790I will not be supporting the 45nm Quads. The person that posted the thread says he spoke to a Asus rep in which it was confirmed.

Can you provide a link to the thread?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'd much rather have a 45nm quad core than an SLi'd system. It looks like I may have to choose one or the other, as opposed to having both - that sucks. :mad: Thanks for the info, colt1911.

colt1911

NP, I looking at going to a P35 or X38 board. As of now I don't know if I'll run Nvidia or ATI. Probably run one good 8800gt , because I don't know alot about ATI.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Since 680i and the new nVidia chipset probably will not support a quad 45nm, nVidia should allow us to run SLi on an Intel chipset. That would be fair.

colt1911

That's what this is all about . Nvidia does not want to give Intel a license for SLI, which is stupid I think because look how many more cards nvidia would sell.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. They're being greedy. The want to keep SLI exclusive to their chipset and screw people like myself. :p

Geoff

VIP Member
Since 680i and the new nVidia chipset probably will not support a quad 45nm, nVidia should allow us to run SLi on an Intel chipset. That would be fair.
I believe on future Intel chipsets you will be able to use either one, although it's not confirmed.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
[-0MEGA-];824504 said:
I believe on future Intel chipsets you will be able to use either one, although it's not confirmed.

Yeah, so do I. We'll wait and see...

Freestylingford

I wish I had never even built this old outdated computer now. Like a week ago. I step into the market because I am getting interested in this hobby and I get stomped on I also thought I would be able to go quad if needed. And I knew eventually I would go sli now I give up I am going to run this thing till I get all of the smoke out of it and then quit.:mad:

spanky

I wish I had never even built this old outdated computer now. Like a week ago. I step into the market because I am getting interested in this hobby and I get stomped on I also thought I would be able to go quad if needed. And I knew eventually I would go sli now I give up I am going to run this thing till I get all of the smoke out of it and then quit.:mad:

That is just how the desktop market is. You build a computer one day and a month down the road something new, faster, better comes out. The desktop market basically thrives off of gamers. We wouldn't need any of this new fancy stuff it wasn't for increase in demand from the gaming market.

JSpecGC8

I want to purchase a new board as well one that supports the 45nm CPUs, I also want to have the ability to OC easily and support SLi.

I use my system mainly for gaming and with all the chatter out I am having a hard time figuring out which board to get.

The recent bomb from Nvidia about the 680 has alot of people in an uproar I guess I am luckly that I only got the 650 and was not thinking about the new CPUs from intel.

I wish I could just change out my mobo without having to reinstall the OS and everything.

JSpecGC8

Yea I have read alot up on the 780I but I am still leaning toward the intel chipset.

I am so far behind and lost on the mobo issue that it will take me forever to find one that supports my current C2D and the new Yorkies (LOL) and still support all my old hardware and good for OC.

I might actually be SOL on this one, but I hope not. Where oh were are the good gaming mobos at??

vonfeldt7

the X38 mobos (maximus formula) are pretty awesome....my friend just got one, and I'm planning on it in January (however, they are expensive...)

tuxify

So let me get this straight (I read every post, but I would like to know the current standings).
The old 680i's support SLI, but will not support the upcoming 45nm Quads.
The new 780i's support Tri-Sli, but still will not support the upcoming 45nm Quads?
The x38's support Crossfire, but not Sli, and will support the 45nm Quads?

Do the x38's support single card nVidia? Or specifically only ATI cards?

*Edit* I was planning on getting the 680i, unless a more reasonable motherboard came out around the 45nm's, but now since they don't support the Q9450 (Which I was planning on getting), I'm leaning more towards the X38, which is only ~$30 more expensive...