New Build

Netskimmer

The thing is FedEx has been out here plenty of times without any trouble. On their tracking site is says "shipping exception, could not locate recipient." which is a load because the guy admitted that the driver left the package at their station BEFORE he went on his route. So they "couldn't find me" hours before they even tried to deliver it to me?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
The thing is FedEx has been out here plenty of times without any trouble. On their tracking site is says "shipping exception, could not locate recipient." which is a load because the guy admitted that the driver left the package at their station BEFORE he went on his route. So they "couldn't find me" hours before they even tried to deliver it to me?

Hmm, FedEx has been an great shipping company in my opinion. I have never gotten something missing or damaged...

Maybe it's just your FedEx station? :D:D

Netskimmer

Maybe there was a good reason for the delay, or maybe I just got an SOB who doesn't care enough to give his job 100%. Who knows.

EDIT:

I have a few questions about the programs discussed earlier in this thread.

My old copy of memtest had to be put on a floppy and the PC had to be booted with said floppy, this could be a problem as I did not include a floppy drive in this build, I assumed anything a floppy could do a usb memstick could be better. can I put this on a CD and boot from that?

3DMark06 does not have DX10 support, since all of my hardware and software will be running DX10, will this affect my score?

Would it be worth the money to get advanced version of 3DMark06 or should I stick with the free version?

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
My old copy of memtest had to be put on a floppy and the PC had to be booted with said floppy, this could be a problem as I did not include a floppy drive in this build, I assumed anything a floppy could do a usb memstick could be better. can I put this on a CD and boot from that?

Yes, you can use a CD. Download the .ISO image file. Unzip the file, and use a program like Magic ISO or Nero to burn the program to a CD. You will boot from the CD as you would a floppy.

3DMark06 does not have DX10 support, since all of my hardware and software will be running DX10, will this affect my score?

Your score will not be affected by the lack of DX10 support.

Would it be worth the money to get advanced version of 3DMark06 or should I stick with the free version?

The advanced version allows you to compare your results to systems similar to yours. You can also configure (customize) the tests and save your tests to Excel and other formats. Personally, I prefer the Advanced version.

Last edited:

Netskimmer

My processor finally came!!! I had them deliver it to me at work so they couldn't claim they could not find me. So as soon as I get home I'll pop it in and see what happens. One concern I do have is that I put the CPU in my car so I don't forget it and its supposed to get down into the 20's tonight. Do you think it will affect the CPU to be in such a cold environment? Should I let it warm up a bit when I get home before I put it in and fire it up?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Colder the better, I doubt it'll get cold enough in your car. How do you think those people with liquid nitrogen overclocks? ;)

oscaryu1

VIP Member
My processor finally came!!! I had them deliver it to me at work so they couldn't claim they could not find me. So as soon as I get home I'll pop it in and see what happens. One concern I do have is that I put the CPU in my car so I don't forget it and its supposed to get down into the 20's tonight. Do you think it will affect the CPU to be in such a cold environment? Should I let it warm up a bit when I get home before I put it in and fire it up?

The colder the better! The colder, the more you can overclock! (Try hitting an good OC at midnight :p:p:D)

Netskimmer

Ok, I got the CPU installed and got into BIOS. Took a look around and everything seems to be going well. The ambient room temp in my bedroom is about 26C. Hot I know but there is little I can do about it. The system temp is holding steady at 57C and the CPU is steady at 43C. These temps are at idle of coarse as all I can get into at this point is the BIOS. Should I run memtest on it as it is or install the OS first? The system recognizes both sticks just fine.

I have purchased both 3Dmark06 and PCMARK Vantage but I chose the download option and I have dial-up. Does anyone have any suggestions on were I might find a broadband connection to download these? I wonder if my local library has broadband and would allow me to DL them?

BTW, here are some pics of the finished stock setup:

comstock02.jpg

comstock03.jpg

desk02.jpg

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
As far as MemTest, I would get the OS installed first. That program is usually used for troubleshooting purposes; however, it wouldn't hurt to run it after the OS is installed. Let the program run overnight.

As you know, the Futuremark programs are kinda big. If you can, find a broadband connection and download the applications to a 2GB USB Drive.

So far, everything looks pretty good. ;)

Overall, how do you like the Cosmos? I've heard that bar on the side of the case, behind the mobo, is a real problem.

Netskimmer

So far, everything looks pretty good. ;)

Overall, how do you like the Cosmos? I've heard that bar on the side of the case, behind the mobo, is a real problem.

Do you think the temps are ok, they seemed a little high to me.

Not only the bar but there really isn't much room behind the mobo ether. In fact, even one molex connector back there keeps the cover from latching properly. I guess things would have been alot easier if my PSU cords were long enough to run behind there and come back in near where they were needed. I even tried to press them flat against the mobo tray with double sided tape, but the cover still wouldn't latch. The bar you mentioned makes running cables of any kind from the mobo area to the HDD/Optical drive area all but impossible. In hind site it might have been better to go with a modular PSU.

I also had a little trouble finding a place for the pump to sit for my WC system. In the article you showed me it looks like they removed the large intake fan and put it there but since I'll be air cooling my VGA card for the time being I didn't think that would be wise as the fan is designed at a slight angle to blow cool intake air onto the VGA card. I've tried mounting it on top of the HDD bays with double sided tape (see the first pic in my last post) I'll see how that turns out when I put the WC system in. I'll probably hold off on that until I get everything else up a running.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The system temp seems to be a little high, but the CPU temp is probably normal since you're using a stock cooler.

I'm really dissapointed w/ the trouble you're having w/ the cable management stuff. It seems that the owners' of this case are having mixed results.

I seen this "tip" in the Newegg Customer Reviews. Don't know if it will help:

Manufacturer Response: A tip for running your wires in the back is to make sure that they are not all bunched up together (obviously). Try to utilize both oval openings when running the wires in the back. Having 3 sets of wires running flat in the back makes it a lot easier to close, instead of all of them together.

Seems like it's easier said than done. :rolleyes:

Are you using an aftermarket cooler on the Ultra? If so, you may not need that intake fan on the bottom.

Netskimmer

I had the wires all spread out and placed flat using double sided tape but I still couldn't get the back panel to close. I'l see if I can't get some pics of others who have this case and see if maybe I just didn't have something placed properly.

I am currently useing the stock VGA cooler, I wanted to see if it could handle the card under load before deciding if I want to get a water block and potentially needing to upgrade several of my WC components. I also would like a baseline reading with the stock cooler should I decide to water cool it.

chrislo

Just curious, when you guys build your rigs how long do you use them before you start to upgrade? Then how long before it gets so outdated you build a new machine from scratch (All new parts including the case and power supply)?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, when you guys build your rigs how long do you use them before you start to upgrade? Then how long before it gets so outdated you build a new machine from scratch (All new parts including the case and power supply)?

No offense, but that's kinda off topic. You should start a new thread on that subject in the Desktop Computers section. You'll probably get a ton of responses! :)

Netskimmer

I think my current WC system is a bust, if I mount the rad in the logical place it sits right on top of the water block and even if I could fit the thing in there the screws it came with won't thread! I may try to return the kit, though I think it is unlikely they will let me as I had already cut the tubing and I scratched the apparently very delicate paint on the rad just trying to see if it would fit in various places.

my case has ports for external cooling units so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a good external cooler that will keep an OC'ed q6600 and G8800 Ultra cool. I've heard some people say that a good air cooler can do just as good a job, is there any truth to this? I find it hard to believe, especially in my case considering the high ambient temps in my room.

I'm going to ask this question in the cooling forum as well.

Netskimmer

I have successfully installed Vista Ultimate 32-bit as well as the drivers for my vid and sound cards. The vid card had its own utility software that lets you monitor the card temp and at idle the thing runs at 73C! Thats after I installed Riva Tuner and manually set the fan speed to fixed 100% I think I'm going to have to under clock the thing or get a better cooler for it.
BTW, For some reason Riva won't hold the 100% fan setting, every time I boot the system I have to change it again. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I tried to install MBM 5 but my mobo doesn't show up in their config tools and I can't get the sensors to display temps.